Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What Tube zones do I pay for if staying in Islington and want to tour the major London sights?

Search

What Tube zones do I pay for if staying in Islington and want to tour the major London sights?

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Jim

We will be staying in Islington in a B & B and will want a Tube pass for 4 days. What zones do I need to include to have unlimited travel from the B & B to the major attractions in London? Any idea on the cost?

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Clare

I don't know what zones to include but when i'm in London i normally get a pass for most zones so i don't have to worry about where i'm going next. Log on to http://www.thisislondon.com/img/visi..._frameset.html and this shows you the tube map of London, make sure you include Victoria, Kensington, London Bridge, and for shopping Oxford Circus, Covent garden.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Suzy

Most tourist attractoins are in Zone 1 -- a couple, like Greenwich and the zoo, are in Zone 2 and a few, like Kew, are even farther out.<BR><BR>Parts of Islington are closest to Zone 1 stops and others are closer to zone 2. So ask your B&B which stop is closest, and if it's in Zone 1, I'd just get a one-week pass for zone 1. Bring a passport-sized photo for the pass-holder that you'll get when you buy the pass.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Suzy

Oops, just noticed that you also asked the cost. A one-week tube pass for Zone 1 costs &pound;16.20. <BR><BR>One-day passes for zones 1 and 2 (don't have costs for just zone 1 handy, sorry) cost &pound;5.30 before 9:30 AM, &pound;4.10 after, and &pound;6.60 for the whole weekend. All tube passes are good for unlimited rides on the tube and buses, and can be bought ata any tube station.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:17 PM
wes fowler

Almost all of the tourist sites of interest in London are in Zone 1. Parts of Islington are in zones 1 and 2. The Angel tube station is in zone 1, Highbury and Islington tube station is in zone 2. Determine which tube station serves your B&B; that'll tell you which tube pass to purchase. To purchase a pass covering more than zones 1 and 2 is a bit foolish and hardly economical. If you do travel outside zone 2, you can purchase a supplement for that portion of your ride.

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:54 AM
MIke

The last time my wife and I went to London we paid for a tube pass here in the states and picked it up at Heathrow. The address is in a Frommers London guide, the address was in New York. It was cheaper than buying one in London and you don't need a picture.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Suzy

The visitors travel cards cost more than buying comparable passes in London. For the weekly travelcard holder, you can use any passport-sized photo, just cut up a snapshot.