Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What towns to visit in southeast England?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 1998, 06:25 PM
Val

We have to go to Southampton from LOndon so we thought we would buy a pass for southeast England and visit other towns.Which ones should we NOT miss?Also how far are most of the stations from the towns? Thanks!

Old Mar 11th, 1998, 06:46 PM
Emma

I don't know much about train travel around the UK, as we drove. However, we loved the town of Rye. It's an old smugglers town which used to be right on the coast, but the sea has now receded and it is a few kilometres inland. It has cobbled streets and quaint houses. The towns of Battle and Brighton were also quite enjoyable.

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 04:46 PM
czanoff

Just got back and really loved Southeast England. I visited Hampton Court, London, and Canterbury. I also got off at Bearsted and went to Leeds castle which was beautiful.

Old Mar 22nd, 1998, 09:47 AM
Ben Haines

Stations tend to be fifteen minutes' walk from town centres, a mile or half mile.
.................................................. .
If you'll take a guidebook and look up the entries you'll see what to choose from. In Kent I suggest you read a page or two on
Roman and medieval: Rochester, Canterbury, Dover
Eighteenth century: West Malling, Faversham, Tonbridge Wells
In Sussex and Hampshire
Medieval: Rye, Winchester
Eighteenth Century: Lewes
Nineteenth century: Brighton
After your reading, if I can help further please write again.
Welcome to England
Ben Haines, London

Old Mar 22nd, 1998, 11:21 AM
Carol

We drove around the area, but certainly Rye is not to be missed. The streets are cobbled, narrow, and windy. Mermaid Inn is a famous old ivy covered inn. Go to the top of the church to see views all around the town and surrounding area. Leeds Castle is also a wonderful place, but I'm not sure that you can get there by train. We thoroughly loved Battle and the Battle Abbey, it was very informative and fun to follow the battle as you walked around the actual battle site.
Have a good time.

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 10:47 AM
roger

Within the confines of the Southeast pass area I have visited and would recommed Oxford, Canterbury, Portsmouth and if you don't mind a longist train ride think about Exeter. Closer to London I too would visit Hampton court. Brighton was ok but not one of my favorites. In any event be sure to know what station in London to start from as there are around 12 different ones all going to different places.

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 03:22 PM
Mike Miller

Portsmouth is close to Southampton and certainly worth a visit. It is Englands "Norfolk" housing the largest base in the Royal Navy. Sites to see are the Victory, Nelsons flagship during his victory at Trafalgar (he was also killed on this ship), the Warrior, one of the first steel hulled sailing warships, the Mary Rose, Henry VIII's favorite ship which he saw sink as it left port. You will also find a great Naval Museum there.

Old Mar 25th, 1998, 11:30 AM
kam

We loved going to Canterbury and took the train. Very convenient. We never rent a car in England because the train system is so good and cars are difficult to park in small towns. There's a great book titled Daytrips London. I suggest you find a copy of it. Enjoy your trip.