Reload this Page >

What to wear to the opera?! HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Marley

I will be attending "Tristan" at the Bavarian State Opera House in Munchen. I have never been to Europe before and I have NO idea what to wear. Does "formal" defnitely mean black tie? Leaving on Saturday, please help!

Old May 30th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Art

Most people dress up a little for the Opera, but fewer black tie now. A dark suit for the men and a dinner dress for the woman will make you feel right in. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:59 AM
ingrid

I agree, unless it's opening night. To a certain degree it also depends on how expensive your seats are

Old May 31st, 2001, 05:39 AM
Ursula

Marley: I agree with the previous posts. Munich is known as quite an elegant and upscale city with well-dressed people. I would definitely dress a bit special. In my opinion, it's also part of the preparation for a nice and special evening. <BR>Enjoy the opera and Munich!

Old May 31st, 2001, 05:42 AM
Bobye

I live in Germany and have been to many operas and theatre events. Try to dress as if going to church. If you are a woman throw on some fake pearls, no one will know they're fake. If you are a man, try a tie with slacks. And even if it is "formal", in Germany that just means nicer suits and longer dresses then normal. If you underdress, for some reason, just enjoy the evening of such a wonderful experience.

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:33 AM
Marley

Thank you everyone for your help. Going shopping today. And I won't feel guilty about all the money I will spend!

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:46 AM
Bob Brown

I was worried about the clothing issue, too, until we turned up at the Opera Bastille in Paris. We had the second most expensive seats in the house. Naturally I expected the people around me to be well dressed. Well, that idea got the boot when we sat down next to a <BR>fellow clad in a T-shirt. It must have been a formal t-shirt because it was black, but there was no collar in view. Since then, my wife and I have quite worrying about it. <BR> <BR>Last year in Vienna, a dark blue sports jacket, white shirt and tie, and grey dress slacks worked for me. A long black dress worked fine for my wife. <BR> <BR>The ushers are not going to throw you out if you are decently dressed and act politely. <BR> <BR>