Reload this Page >

What to Wear in Europe

Search

What to Wear in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:21 AM
Hiho

What to Wear in Europe

Now that spring is in the air, there have been quite a few recent posts about clothes, and in particular the old "chestnut" of whether jeans are acceptable in Europe.<BR><BR>I can argue on either side of the question. My question here and now is, for the forseeable future:<BR><BR>1) Shall I take the side of no jeans????? (They look bad, are dirty, not for certain body types, not seen on Parisians, etc.) <BR><BR>Or<BR><BR>Shall I take the side pro-jeans side? (They are comfortable, I will wear what I please, millions of Euros are wearing them, etc?)<BR><BR>I can go either way and my future postings on this site will follow how you now guide me.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance for your input

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:36 AM
Ann

I vote no to jeans!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:40 AM
Herman

Hiho yourself back in your hole.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Herman

Hiho yourself back in your hole.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Susan

Are you a man or woman? Here's my advice. My husband brought his jeans and was comfortable and at ease in them, it was a good decision. I did not bring jeans, but favored long comfortable skirts that could go from daytripping into a nice restaurant. I think it's easier for women to do without, but if you are a woman and are most comfortable in jeans than bring them. Parisians wear jeans, the difference is that most Europeans look good in whatever they are wearing, manage to make it look stylish always. Skip sweatshirts, tennis shoes and baseball caps.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:45 AM
thong

Wear a thong, a baseball cap, and a big pair of white sneakers!<BR><BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Therese

I'm in the no jeans camp, but not because they're some sort of horrifying fashion statement (because they're not) and not because it's somehow insulting to Europeans if somebody wears them (because it's not), and not because only skinny people should be allowed to wear them (because that's just ridiculous). <BR><BR>I don't take jeans because they are heavy and bulky, so a thrash to pack. And they're also a thrash if you need to dry them (got caught in the rain) or wash them.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:16 PM
Sue

Therese you go girl! My opinion exactly.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:21 PM
mjs

Don't wear jeans. They fit so tightly that you will have trouble stuffing food from the breakfast buffet into the pockets.<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:43 PM
mike

The problem (for me) with jeans is: 1)they are made from cotten and are hard to dry "over the hotel towel rack", 2) I am trying to pack light so I just take the dress up stuff, and 3) I don't wear my jeans outside of yard work or just being around the house even at home.<BR>Having said that, I don't feel offended by seeing my Am. peers wearing whatever they feel like wearing in Europe (or Asia). But PLEASE take off your baseball caps when sitting down to dine in a rist. Thanks much, M.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:48 PM
Pam

Why doesn't anyone want to wear silk pants in Spring and Summer? They look nice, dry quickly, and are not bulky.<BR>I bring washable silk pants and blouses and wear them over silk/cotton sleevless tops. Not good for hiking, but I am usually in cities and small towns anyway.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:12 PM
ja

I wear black denims at home for grocery shopping, errand running, etc. in the colder 7-8 months of the year. As soon as it's mild enough, my off-duty time is spent in shorts and shorter skirts. When we travel, we're going someplace with a shorts-able climate/weather pattern. I wear convertible pants on the flight, take a pair of somewhat dressier lightweight cotton blend slacks if I'm anticipating the need for them, and maybe a lightweight, low-wrinkle skirt or two, along with some shorts. I don't travel with jeans because they weigh too much, take forever to dry, and are way too warm for me in a "vacation" locale.<BR>ja

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:15 PM
Al Gore

I invented Jeans

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:09 AM
xxx

I'm so embarrassed to participate in this that I won't even use my initials. What about skirt lengths for adult women? I'm still wearing mid-calf length. Will I appear to be gauche in Paris or Milan? (Well actually I will even with the correct length, but answer anyway.) and, is there the slightest chance that European women might still be wearing denim skirts? I own six. Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:28 AM
fashion

All skirt lenghths are ok. I bought one ankle lenthgh. Alot of longer denim skirts were in all the shops with many styles. Short pants(capri, flared, whatever) were everywhere. I bought a floral. The important thing is quality and a put together look. Linin is what I like for pants in the warmer climates. You can drip dry them lay them flat with no wrinkles. You will be out of place in hot climates in black<BR>as you know it will draw the sunner and be uncomfortable.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:26 AM
Jimmy Deil

Jeans are acceptable all over the world. But if you are really adventurous, you can do what I did last year when I was in Paris....you can wear pink dungarees, a Hawaiian shirt, keds sneakers, and a gilligan hat! I thought I would stick out like a sore thumb, but nobody gave me a second look! So much for Paris and fashion!<BR><BR><BR>http://hometown.aol.com/brooklynboy59/index.html<BR>http://hometown.aol.com/brooklynboy5...ge/poetry.html

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:29 AM
UncleSam

Oh no, not this again!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:34 AM
xxx

fashion, are you sure? I'm thrilled. When were you there and in which cities did you see long denim skirts?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:05 AM
style setter

The poster is correct. All the boutiques are showing longer stylish denim skirts.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeans are thick and heavy to pack. They are also not the most comfortable thing to wear. Europeans do wear jeans, including Parisians. However, they are often not travelling - they are natives.

Comfortable pants made of thin fabric or comfortable skirts made of thin fabric. Microfleece hooded jacket that is light to keep you warm in case it is cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -