What to wear?

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 01:40 PM
jb

What to wear?

My husband & I are going to Paris, London & Dublin in August and I don't know what clothes to bring. I don't want to look like a typical tourist so is there anything I shouldn't wear? Also, how should I dress for dinner, are pants okay? AND, is it okay to wear jeans at all??

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 02:44 PM
elvira

There are a variety of opinions on this subject, so I go with practical:
Jeans are fine to wear, but are heavy and don't dry quickly; I'm willing to deal with that if I'm hiking or horseback riding, but not if I'm city walking and taking public transportation.
Pants are fine; the narrower the leg, the better (palazzo pants get caught in doors and on my heels when climbing stairs, for example). Lightweight cotton/khaki/silk pants and skirts are cool, comfortable and wash/dry easily. The darker the color, the better (if there is a speck of dirt in the universe, it will find an ecru skirt).
Unless you're going to a very fancy restaurant, your husband will be fine in pants and shirt/sweater.
We've found that nice t-shirt tops (think embroidered with flowers vs 1999 grunge tour dates), short/long-sleeved cotton blouses, a lightweight sweater and blazer-type jacket work well (layering for warmth as needed).
Have comfortable shoes (you'll be walking on cobblestones at some time, I guarantee, which are real ankle-twisters so be sure you can't fall off your shoes), and extra socks.
Girls are lucky - we can dress up with earrings and scarves (tiny and lightweight)!

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 03:26 PM
Ohno

=:0

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 03:53 PM
Ed

Elvira's answer is on the money, as usual, so far as clothes go.

But why worry about looking like a 'typical' tourist? Unless you'll not be looking at the sights, not speaking with an American accent, not using a map or camera, no one's too likely to take you for a tourist.

What one doesn't want to do is act the boor as some tourists do. Some thoughts on being a welcome guest while traveling at www.twenj.com/tipslooks.htm

Ed

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Susan

Take good rain coats! We could not have done without them on our recent trip to London/Paris.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 08:02 PM
Polly

I wore jeans in Paris when we visited Paris last summer. I think I was the only person in Paris wearing jeans. I'm sure I looked like an American tourist.
Most women were wearing polyester pants, nice, trendy ones.