What to wear?

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:05 PM
Kathie

What to wear?

We are first time traveleres to Europe, we're traveling with Globus to Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, France from May 22 to June 6. We want to pack light and not look like tourists. We're planning two colors, but do women need a skirt? What kind of jacket or coat? What is the weather like? Do we need layers? Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:23 PM
Thyra

Hi Kathie,
Just a little friendly warning. Don't be surprised if someone flames you for "not wanting to look like a tourist" occasionally posters get extremely affronted by people who would prefer to blend in and dress in a complimentary style in sync with their surroundings. My husband and I feel as you do and when we go to Europe we prefer dark colors (I usually bring variations of Black, Grey and white, not just because their non-descript but also because everything matches everything else and it cuts back considerably on packing) In my experience you are better off bringing layers. The one thing about weather in central Europe it is always inconsistant and will always surprise you. Rain in the summer, snow in the summer, heat in the Alps..Occasionally you can leave your hotel on a hot sunny morning and by 3 O'clock it's cold and raining. Bring layers. Though you CAN wear white athletic shoes, (loads of people do ) We prefer to take a sturdy pair of black (Again it matches everything) walking/hiking shoes that I can wear for 10 hours at a stretch and not get sore in. ( Comfy shoes incidentally will be your MOST important article of clothing, IMHO)
An example of what I might wear in say, Salzburg Austria for a day out sight seeing, Comfortable grey slacks, short sleeve knit tee shirt under a light blouse and my leather jacket (or all purpose jacket) if it looks warm maybe just a light pull over or sweater that you can wear across your shoulders if it gets hot again.
My husband would wear his khaki cargo pants, black hiking boots, white shirt with a jacket or black pull over on top. One thing you may not see too many of are baseball caps, though again, once they were taboo, now you do see them anywhere. I would bring a skirt or no-wrinkle dress if I were you, with some comfortable flat shoes that can be worn with slacks as well, just in case you want to go to a fancy dinner. It's always better IMO to under pack then over pack, if you decide you just HAVE to have something you shouldn't have any trouble finding it in any of the countries you are visiting. My husband always brings a tie, but doesn't always wear it and a sport coat (not his best one though he doesn't always wear it either.
Arguably since you will be in a tour group carrying a camera and speaking in American accented English, you will be picked out as a tourist regardless of what you wear. But if you like to feel comfortable and not too "stand outy" then subdued colors and functional plain clothes would be your best bed. Remember to keep your passport and back up credit card in a money belt at all times. Europe is a safe place, but occasionally while looking up at the fantastic ceiling of the Duomo in Florence, a pocket has been known to be picked and you don't want to waste a day and a half trying to get your missing passport situation under control. Have a great first trip.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:33 PM
Ursula

Kathie, hi! Well, the weather usually is fine, if we are lucky even hot, the time you will be coming here. However, if rain should come out, you will be happy with a jacket, a woolen something and some layers. Nights however can still be on the coolish side.
Well, I guess you will still look like a tourist, sorry, to tell you that.
Jake clothes you feel comfortable in. This goes also and above all for shoes. If you need a skirt? Well, it depends, if you feel fine in a skirt, why not. When I travel myelf, I usually take a short black stretch-skirt which looks fine with a nice light jacket. And I feel quite "dressed" when ending up in an upscale place for dinner. Yes, maybe you should take a skirt or a dress to really change in the evening for dinner. Yes, do so. I would.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:40 PM
clothes horse

Kathie:
Good basic suggestions BUT..wear bright colors your photos will be more interesting to those back at home. Also, show your female side and dress as only us American women can! Have some fun with the basics.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 01:34 PM
janice

I'm not sure where in Europe the clothes horse has been, but in France and Italy, the women are pretty much uniformly much more attractive and better dressed than Americans. That said, I concur with all the above advice - I always travel with a mid-calf black skirt that I wear a lot with hiking boots (I travel in the cold weather) but I take the boots off before dinner and change into dress shoes. Skirts are very comfortable (elastic waists!) and don't take up too much space -a black skirt, black flats and 1 or 2 pair of tights is a pretty compact little bundle to put in your luggage, and gives you lots of options for going out in the evenings. And if you get flamed for caring about how you dress - ignore them - and imagine what they must look like!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 12:52 AM
Clothes Horse

Janice:
I was merely "rooting" for the home team when I gave "us" American women a sincere plug if you will.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

However,if "we" keep packing "elastic" waist shirts, "tights"(where are the sheer stockings instead?) Hiking boots and all that black, unless its sexy, then your right, the women of France and Italy will always have "us" beat so to speak.

Since you kinda asked where in Europe I have traveled I will kinda tell you. I have traveled throughout Europe a few times. I have traveled to lots of other places as well.

As an admitted clothes horse I bring a minimum of 3 suitcses and a carry on bag. I coordinate my outfits (2 per day) down to the matching bra,panties or thong. I have never had a problem getting my bags where they needed to be. Black is for lingere, sexy dresses or sling back pumps for dinner. I own a black swimsuit that my husband says is illegal. I am always comfortable and have great colorful photos of my travels. This used to drive my husband crazy but he reaps the benefits of my dressing for fun! When I travel with my girlfriends the bellhops, busboys and cabbies are all over themselves trying to cater to us. Its just good old fun. I am 40 so I hope to have many more years of turning heads and snapping necks while I travel. I don't do too bad at home either...
I have friends who pack like some of you suggested...these friends ALWAYS go on shopping sprees for some color and some shoes while we travel.

I noticed that no mention was made of nighties. You gotta throw in one surprise, for yourself even, right?

I am totally supportive of everyone's style but I love to encourage women to dare to do something different while on vacation especially if its something that could enhance your overall experience.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 01:16 AM
Santa Chiara

Oh, lordy. Everybody duck. Incoming.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 01:41 AM
OMG!

Nice troll, that Clotheshorse. She almost made me believe her! Is this another "Michelle" thing!?! Very funny!
The images conjured up were hilarious!!!

Thanks for the laugh, you made my night!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Clothes Horse

OMG Anytime! If ya' can't have fun...why bother? I have to tell you that 90% of what I wrote is really true(smile) I fudged on the nighties part..its a nude thing. Now its all 100% true.

Santa Chira gets the REAL TROLL trophy... lighten up girl and throw on that thong for practice. Your husband loves them (wink!)

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 11:19 AM
xxx

Sounds like clotheshorse is a character from the Phil Hendrie Show...you'll know what I'm talking about if you listen to it.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 08:10 PM
OaktownTraveler

xxx:
enlighten me but only if you are being nice. If not just skip it and find someone else to pick on. Thanks either way.