Reload this Page >

What to see in Budapest?

Search

What to see in Budapest?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 03:39 AM
Valerie

What to see in Budapest?

Can anyone tell me what there is to see in Budapest? Any interesting museums, streets, market places, etc.? Also what about the spas I hear about? Are they worth going to? Thank you.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 03:51 AM
s.fowler

Valerie <BR>I sent a recent exchange on Budapest to the top. There are *many* others in the rchies. Just use the search function. If you want to email me privately I think I still have a letter I wrote for someone else on this forum. <BR>Budapest is WONDERFUL. Enjoy! <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 03:35 PM
Nancy Jackson

My 22-yr.-old daughter and I had a marvelous week in Budapest last March. Would suggest not missing the baths..we chose the Gellert baths. Glorious "Deco-Heroic" decor, and in spite of the language barrier, we had a great stay and a power-massage, too. Its an experience not to be missed!

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 05:59 PM
gpotvin

The view from the Citadel is beautiful. We enjoyed the castle area and churches in Buda. Don't miss the Central Market at the southern end of Vaci Ut. WE took in a gypsy band at a theatre on Andrassi Ut, and we also took a day trip to Szentendre, aboout 30 minutes north on the Danube Bend. The subways and buses are very easy to use. There is a great pastry shop at Voroshmarty Ter in the center of Pest at the head of Vaci Ut. It is a most wonderful city! Get a good guide book or two and folow your heart!

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 06:03 PM
tom

I would suggest that you not miss the Jewish Synagogue. It is the largest in all of Europe and is definitely worth a visit. While there, do not miss the museum on the 2nd floor. <BR> <BR>Having never been in a synagogue before, I was surprised to notice how much it looks like a Christian church, complete with altar. <BR> <BR>Very impressive!

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 04:41 AM
dan woodlief

Along with what others have suggested: <BR> <BR>take in a performance at the opera house; it is very very inexpensive; you can get tickets through your hotel, but just try getting them at the booth inside <BR> <BR>go to the top of Gellert Hill for an unparalleled view of the city; you can see right down into the castle complex; there is an old fort up there to climb around on; we walked up, but I think there is a cable car or something that also goes to the top - the walk is quite steep <BR> <BR>There are several museums in the castle area; the Hungarian art museum (I think it is called the Hungarian National Musuem) is supposed to be top-notch; we visited the military museum, located behind the big cannon, which is near the outer wall on the backside of the castle grounds. It had some very interesting displays relating to Budapest's experiences during World War II and the Soviet years. <BR> <BR>For shopping Vaci Utca, as mentioned, is good, as is the castle complex; Pest also has many more specialized stores that you may run across on a walking tour - such as antique book stores

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 05:46 AM
s.fowler

There are [at least] three Hungarian "national museums". <BR> <BR>The history one is called the Hungarian National Museum {Magyar Nemzeti Muzeum] and is in south downtown Pest. [nearest metro stop is Kalvin Ter on the blue line.] <BR> <BR>Then there is the Magyar Nemzeti Galeria in the palace on Castle Hill. This is filled with hungarian art from the middle ages on and is fascinating for making a comparative study of the western influences on hungarian art as well as the specifically magyar elements. The hungarian impressionist were, in particular, an interesting bunch. The easiest way to get to the galeria is via the little 'siklo' or funicular just across the chain bridge in Buda. <BR> <BR>The third museum is the Hungarian Musaeum of Fine Arts. It is right next to Hosok Ter. [If you face the monument it is on the left] This museum contains a collection of western european paintings. Not many of the big names, but a reminder that good art, sometimes spectacular, was done outside the usual names we learned in art history. Take the yellow line to Hosok Tere to get there. <BR> <BR>In terms of interest I would rank them in the order mentioned. The history exhibition is superbly done. And seeing St. Stephen's crown is pretty neat too! Then I would recommend the galeria for an insight into hungarian culture. But if you are at Hosok Tere anyway, the fine arts museum is worth a hour or so.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 04:54 PM
Linda

Just back from Budapest. I enjoyed the museum (I think it's called the Ethnography Musuem) that has all the displays for clothing, furniture, furnishings, etc. of Hungarian life in the days of the peasants. I also enjoyed Castle Hill (the view from the Fisherman's Bastion is great), Gellert Hotel, cruise on the Danube, Heroes' Square, the opera, Szentendre and the shopping on Vaci Utca. What a great city!!

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 11:55 AM
Anna

I just returned from a trip to Budapest. It is a great city! Be sure to take a tour of Parliament, it was absolutely beautiful. We went to the Gellert Baths, it is a bit frustrating trying to figure out the whole system of things but was very enjoyable in the end. Make sure to spend an afternoon in the Castle District to visit the Matthias Church and the Fisherman's Bastion.