Reload this Page >

What to see in Barcelona

Search

What to see in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 04:44 PM
Judi

What to see in Barcelona

<BR>We will be in Barcelona for two days next summer before embarking on a cruise. What are some highlights that we should be sure to see during that time? Any good dining suggestions for some very picky eaters? Thanks

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 05:45 PM
Lottie

HI, Judi -- <BR> <BR>Not trying to duck your question or be unhelpful, but in the last several weeks there have been several posts about Barcelona, as well as a "hosted forum" about Spain. Try a search on "Barcelona" within "Spain" -- you'll find a lot of information. <BR> <BR>Enjoy my favorite city.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 05:55 AM
kristi

Be sure to visit the hosted forum on Spain-there are several posts regarding Barcelona. <BR> <BR>We were just in Barcelona prior to our cruise (RCCL Legend of the Seas). The highlights of our stay in Barcelona included a visit to Parc Guell (if you visit from the top down, the street leading to the top has an escalator running up the middle of the street), walking up and down Las Ramblas, the Cathedral (be sure and go out to the courtyard and see the geese that live there) and viewing the many Gaudi buildings in the city, including the Sagrada Familia (don't go in unless you want to take a trip to the top-there's no interior to the building). <BR> <BR>Many people on the forum have suggested taking the tourist bus which goes to most of the sites in Barcelona and gives you discounted admissions to most places. We didn't try it but it looked like a good way to get around. <BR> <BR>For food, you must try a tapas bar. That way you can order several smaller portions of things you think look good and aren't stuck with a whole meal if you don't like it. We found a good one on Passeig de Gracia, just north of Placa de Catalunya. <BR> <BR>There are also several museums in the city-we didn't care for the Picasso museum, but we also don't care for his art. My husband enjoyed the Maritime museum. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 07:54 AM
shem

Here's my own favorite place in Barcelona, though I know it will not appeal to everyone. If by any chance you like romanesque art (that's pre-gothic, middle ages) there is an absolutely wonderful museum in Barcelona. They have brought interior church frescoes from many small romanesque churches throughout Catalunya to Barcelona and just recently completely redid the museum that houses them. I'll leave to others the political dispute about whether the central government should raid small town churches of their precious art, but the result is a stunning museum in Barcelona. If you like that sort of thing, that is.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Sheila

You have to do the Guide to Modernisme tour. I've posted on this before, but you buy a single ticket which gets you into a whole bunch of places but also give you a 16 page tour schedule with some really good quality information about the town itself. the Gaudi stuff is fantastic ( literally) and not to be missed. The beach is good too. <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:09 PM
topper

!