What to see between Roscoff and Faro

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be driving from Roscoff to Faro - taking 10 days to complete the journey. Where should I visit? At present I am thinking of golf in Biarritz, a day in Bilbao, a few days in either the Picos or Rioja - obviously this choice will determine whether I go West down the Atlantic coast of Portugal or go straight down the middle of Spain. All suggestions are welcome.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM

The distance is about 2100km if you drive through the middle and about 2500km if you sort of follow the coast. So in 10 days you have to cover either 210 or 250km per day, without stops to enjoy the places you visit. For me it is too much, but you may find it ok.
As to where to visit you really need to post more information after you have firmed up your route, as there is too many things to list here.
What about your return route?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Foley,

when we were young and in our prime, we did a sort of similar trip, from Plymouth to Santander.

from Roscoff, I would head to La Rochelle [thriving port and great aquarium] then via cognac to Bordeaux. through the Landes [can't talk about Biarritz as never been there] to the Pyrenees to San sebastian.

after that, you have the choice of going through the rioja area and/or the picos and/or extremadura, or along the lovely asturian coast to Sanitago di Compostella.

what time of year are you planning for this trip?

regards, ann
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM

Why not Golf in Santander, home to Spain's first public Golf Course? I really love Spain's north coast: Bilbao (Vizcaya), Santander and Santillana del mar (Cantabria), the Picos de Europa (Cantabria/Asturias) and Galicia.

I may be a ratón de iglesias but you may want to stop in Limpias, just south of Laredo to see Cristo de Limpias (a Crucifix that is said to 'bleed'), or just outside Potes in a region called Liebana where a Monastery boasts that its Monks guard the largest remaining fragment of the Cross on which Christ was crucified. The Pilgrims' trail leads to Santiago de Compostela in the province of a'Corunha where the Apostle James (the elder) is said to be interred.
If you're in that area around 25 Jul (St. James), that's the place to be
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi ribeirasacra,
The distance doesn’t concern me. I took fours days last time. This time I will take ten days. I can’t firm up on my route yet as the whole purpose of my request for suggestions regarding places to visit is to help me plan a route.

Thanks Ann,
I am not young but am in my prime (right side of 70!). I will be travelling at the end of May. I think you have convinced me to go West rather than East or due South. The last time I went through very boring cornfield country for a whole day – as they say if your dog ran away you could see him go for three days! Extremadura sounds very interesting, particularly since it is close to a more direct route back.

Thanks NEDSIRELAND,
You have given me a lot to consider so I am looking forward to studying it all. I may become a monk or even a saint in the process!