Reload this Page >

what to do with our luggage for a day in paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:00 PM
brian

My new wife and I will be arriving at CDG airport at around 11:30 am, and will then take the night train from Paris to Rome at around 7pm, from the Lyon station. We thought that we would just get into the city, have a leisurely lunch, coffee, etc, buy some food for the train, and just enjoy the atmosphere for a few hours. <BR> <BR>We don't know what to do with our luggage. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Are there lockers at the Lyon station that would be "safe" to store it? Or should we just keep it with us? Maybe a hotel will store it for a few hours?? <BR> <BR>PS...we will be back to paris for 4 days at the end of our honeymoon....this will not be our only exposure to the city

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:30 PM
xxx

Brian <BR> <BR>Congrats on your new marriage. I don't have any information about your luggage, but check to be sure that your train actually leaves from Gare de Lyon. My research shows that the night trains to Italy leave from Bercy, which is nearby.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:38 PM
brian

any help? just read the other post about there not being much storage at train stations any more due to bomb scares....

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:53 PM
mimi

Brian, <BR> Don't be silly. Have been to Paris, and a lot of Europe (last trip was to Greece this past March). There are lockers galore. They are safe and convenient, granted you are not storing valuable jewels etc. I have seen lockers big enough to sleep in. And I've seen them in every airport and train station i've been to. It's better than carrying your luggage around. Don't worry about it, the lockers will be there. <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:26 PM
Christina

It's not silly, I think they were doing that for a good time, and I think they still do not have public lockers at the airports, but that they do now at the train stations. I haven't used them or checked them out at Gare de Lyon, but I think they probably will. If you want silly, they actually closed up public trash cans in Paris for a while due to terrorism, what a mess, trash all over the sidewalks.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:44 PM
david

My first thought would be since you are spending 4 nights, presumably at a hotel, later on in your vacation, that perhaps that hotel, being happy that you are a customer, would be glad to help out a customer. After all, they are in the hospitality industry.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 04:49 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>CDG still doesn't have "left luggage" as far as I know, and I don't know about <BR>Gare de Lyon. The sncf train website offers an opportunity to email them a question; perhaps they will answer this one for you. If not, I'd contact the hotel you will be staying at later and ask if they will do you this favor. <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:16 AM
StCirq

I haven't been to the Gare de Lyon recently, but I haven't seen lockers at Gare de Montparnasse or Gare d'Austerlitz for years - since they closed them down because of threats of terrorism. Ask your hotel to hold the bags for you. They are usually very accommodating about such requests.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Jim

Brian, <BR>Gare de Lyon definitely has lockers of all sizes for luggage storage. We used them about a year ago after checking out of our hotel and before taking an overnight train out Paris. This allowed us to make use of the time for seeing more of Paris prior to our overnight train out of Paris. <BR>Good Luck

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Randy

I stored my luggage at Montparnasse in 1998. I would think asking the hotel is the best idea and I did that in 1999 since my room was not ready at 9 AM and the hotel kept my luggage untill I returned about 5 PM.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:03 PM
mary

we took a night train-the palatine- from gare de lyon into rome-very nice. the station had lots of lockers but i believe they were in an area away from the trains. <BR>on the ride back into paris our train was rerouted due to a labor strike in italy and we wound up going near chamonix. absolutely beautiful-gotta get back there. but i do think you could ask the hotel to hold the luggage for you.