Search

What to do Le Mans?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do Le Mans?

Hello,
I will be visiting Le Mans a few times over the next 6 months, and I was wondering if anybody knows of any worthwhile things to do while there? There isn't much posted about the town and finding non-race related info is scarce. I know it's not the most exciting place so I'll make due with whatever info I'm given!
Thanks You
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Le Mans itself is worth at least a day's visit, and from there you can go in one direction to Brittany and in another to the Loire valley.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Go to the old section, which has been restored with impressive results.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Please post a report when you're done. I've always been curious about Le Mans. Especially since my (usually) thorough LP guidebook doesn't even mention it.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM

I don't know how it will be in the wintertime, but when we were there late summer, the river which runs through the center made one think of the Seine in Paris...a relaxing walk along the quais with the flower decked barges tied up alongside and the beautiful cathedral up in the background. If I remember correctly, the old town is more like the Normandy architecture with the wood cross beams.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM

The DK eyewitness guidebook on the Loire Valley does a pretty good job on Le Mans. There are several museums: Musee de la Reine Berengere (located in 3 half-timbered houses) features local history , Musée de Tessé a former bishop's palace housing fine and decorative art and le Musée de l'Automobile de la Sarthe (race/vintage car museum).

For eats they recommend Le Grenier a Sel, specializing in fish dishes, and La Vie en Rose located in a former (and oldest ) theater serving Nouvelle cuisine.

Do let us know how you like the town. Nearby towns that are fun to visit are La Fleche and Malicorne sur Sarthe. Spent time in both of these and really enjoyed them too!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 08:33 AM

I spent a very enjoyable day in Le Mans 6 months ago.
The old city is wonderful, I also enjoyed sitting by the Sarthe river watching the world go by.
Both Reine Berangére and Tissé museums were interesting, ceramics in the first one and good art works in the second, where the enamel portrait of one of the Plantagenet kings alone merits a visit.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Correcting my spelling of the two museums I visited in Le Mans:

Musée de la Reine Bérengère, which is located in a beautiful building and has a lovely courtyard.

Musée de Tessé, an art museum which included the fabulous "L'Émail Plantagenêt"

You can find days and times of opening here:
http://www.ville-lemans.fr
1 ticket covers both museums.

I had a very nice, simple, lunch at Le Plongeoir, 55 grande rue, in the old town. I visited outside tourist season and it was one of the few places which were open. Good food and service.

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:18 AM

More thoughts on Le Mans:
I found the atmosphere to be quite pleasant. The long street leading to the old town from the train station is not very pretty, it gave me a feeling of a small town that grew wildly out of control, to become a city. But it was still fun to walk, there was something special in the air.
The central square of town has some grand buildings not unlike those in Paris. And even before you reach the old town, you get to walk some pedestrianized streets with lovely shops and good atmosphere. I forgot to mention the wonderful cathedral, in the old town, very beautiful. I would love going back to Le Mans.