What to do in Rome?

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 08:43 AM
Adam

What to do in Rome?

I am going to Rome for 1 week in March. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to see or do? Such as places to eat and places that are fun to visit.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 09:12 AM
Ed

Top two sights in Rome are probably the Roman Forum (and Palataine) and St. Peter's basilica. Followed closely by the Vatican Museums and probably the Colosseum. <BR> <BR>But the city is perhaps more loaded with exceptional sights than any other in the world. <BR> <BR>Eating in Rome is a joy. It's virtually impossible to get a bad meal. You'll find many excellent meals in small, simple neigborhood restaurants. as well as better known (and more expensive) ones. <BR> <BR>Our favorite little restaurant is Abruzzi on via Vaccaro, between Trajan's Forum and the Trevi Fountain. <BR> <BR>You'll find an extensive introduction to the sights at http://twenj.com/romesights.htm and a small selection of restaurants and favorite foods at http://twenj.com/romefood.htm <BR> <BR>Rome . Switzerland . Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 04:19 PM
Cathy

Check out the pasted hosted forum on Rome that ran about 3 weeks ago.There is great advice on Rome and what to do - Free tours of St. Peters take place at 2.00 and 3.15 from the tourist information office - so do not be tricked into paying for a tour. The best walking tour of Rome i ever did was with Enjoy Rome (also the cheapest) Check out that forum, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 06:38 AM
kristi

I understand that Rome (and Italy) will be quite crowded in 2000 because of the Jubilee so places will probably be crowded. <BR> <BR>You must visit St Peter's and the Sistene Chapel, the forum and the Coliseum. There are a lot of outside sites in Rome that you should see-Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, the Pantheon. Michaelangelo's statue of Moses is tucked away in a small church, a guide book should have the name of the church. <BR> <BR>You might also take a day trip to either Pompeii (takes the whole day) or to Ostia Antica (not as interesting but only 1/2 hour outside of Rome) to see the ruins.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 08:26 AM
sabrina

Adam, <BR>Take a day trip to Florence. I was in Rome for a week last year and had the best experience in Florence. It's not expensive, only 1 1/2 hrs. by train and the countryside is beautiful. I found the people in Florence to be warmer and friendlier, on the whole, than Romans. You can't beat the sites and the shopping either. Enjoy.

Old Jan 1st, 2000, 12:38 PM
Alberto

Visiting Rome <BR>visit four major basilicas <BR>Mary Maggiore, <BR>Gesu, <BR>St Pauls <BR>St Peters (the most important) <BR>Visit Vatican Museum (Sistene Chapel) <BR>Visit trevi Fountain <BR>Visit Pantheon <BR>Visit Spanish Steps <BR>Visit Trevi Fountain <BR>Visit Roman Forum <BR>restaurants, Tavernetta on Via Sistina <BR>Il Matriciana, in Piazza San Croce <BR>Tre Scalini, Piazza Navona <BR>Really though, any restaurant is fantastic. Oh I forgot, De regle Amici <BR>at the bottom of the Spanish steps. <BR>Buona fortuna <BR>Alberto <BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 09:56 AM
Bob

Best advice on Rome: Book a Grayline tour or American Express that hits all the big spots. That way you get to see them all without the hassle of driving, subways or taxis. This will give you a good flavor of the city and then you can return to spots that really interest you. We took a full day tour last year and felt we got our money's worth. Then went back to a few spots for more in depth look. Rome is not easy to get around in if you need transportation. The tour is definitely worth the money.