Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do in Lucerne, Switzerland for two days

Feb 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

We are visiting Italy for two weeks and ending our trip in Lucerne, where we have two full days (after travel)....

I'd love any suggestions on sites and restaurants... anything we shouldn't miss?

THANKS!
Lisa
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks Travelnut... I guess my search skills aren't that good.
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Hi Lisa,
A great way to spend some time is on a lake cruise. We also enjoyed the Swiss Transportation Museum.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/index.cfm?page=351&lang=E

http://www.verkehrshaus.ch/en/museum/index.php

Paul
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks Paul... the cruise sounds perfect!
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM

We loved the Rosengart Collection, a wonderful small art museum. And dinner at the Old Swiss House was also very good but, like everything in Switzerland, expensive.
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM

If the weather is fine: Cablecar up Pilatus mountain, enjoy the view. Go down on the cablecar on the other side of the mountain (I don't remember the name of the town at the moment, but you'll end up at the far end of Vierwaldstätter See. Then return to Luzern by boat from there. A very scenic round trip.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Walk, relax. Dine in restaurants by the river. Such a great place to relax. Great mountain views, the lake cruise is nice. Mt Pilatus is good.

It's a great place to just get lost and explore.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM

You gotta be s**ttin' me. Luzern? I would rather wear Walmat shoes for two week than ever go back to Luzern. (That's bad since I am the Fashionista of Fodor's.)

Luzern is a boring tourist trap. Yes, the lake is pretty and the swans are pretty, but everything else is cookie-cutter Dollywood cum Disney.

What is there to see in Luzern? The Lion? The glacier? That's about it.

Salzburg is much more interesting, especially if you like architecture and music. Cafe society in Salzburg is also very chi-chi poo poo and fun. Funner than a barrel of Percocet, honey.

The stars are ageless.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM

in vino veritas
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM

That explains everything.
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM

I lived in Luzern for a while in the early 1980s - which dates me, I know. I absolutely love Luzern. Just wandering through the Altstadt part of the town and crossing the river on the beautiful old covered wooden bridge is wonderful. If you are a music lover, go to the Wagner Museum right on the banks of Vierwaldstaetter See. In fact, it is so beautiful there it's worth a trip even if you aren't a Wagner lover. There is lovely small opera house there, where I sang several roles, that puts on some very interesting productions.
Viel Spass!
Feb 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM

When ?? We will be there in mid-June
Feb 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM
JN

Luzern is a great place to visit. Get a guide book and read up on options. Briefly, you could do a walking tour of the Altstadt, medieval fortifications and the two covered bridges. The Bourbaki Panorama is a powerful sight--sort of like a low tech Imax. Lion monument area is a peaceful oasis, particularly between bus loads of tourists.

Restaurants? Cafe Hug next to Spreuerbrucke has excellent raclette and a nice river view seating area. HOtel Des Alpes outdoor restaurant next to the Kappelbrucke has great salads and a wonderful view of Pilatus. Old Swiss house has excellent, beautifully prepared food (and expensive). Their schnitzel and Geschnetzeltes (like strogonoff) are outstanding.
Feb 15th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Margin, did you bother going in the Jesuit church? Were you there for the Saturday market? How about checking out the antiques galleries? A lake cruise? Hiking in the nearby mountains?

You must have been off your paxil that day.
Feb 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM

fmpden---not sure what your "when?" relates to (Wagner?), but here is a link to a schedule for various events in Luzern:

http://www.luzern.org/en/navpage-FestivalLU.html
Feb 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Wow... these are great... I was only kind of excited about Lucerne and now I can't wait!
Feb 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I agree with the positive posts here - the old town and lake side promenade are relaxing, the transport museum is actually a lot more than that - including a 360 degree "surroundvision" trip in the alps.
Lake trip is pleasant - but can be a little cliched (the stop to blow the mountain horn for example) - but have been there 4 times over 30 years and don't agree with marginal - who needs to reset his geography as Saltzburg is not exactly a nearby comparison.
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Okay, from reading and following links and such, we have decided on a base itenerary... but I need help still

Day One: Lucern Walk (from frommers.com) walk the town and visit a couple museums.... see the local sites.

Day Two: We want to take the cable car up to Mt. Pilatus and down the other side and then a boat tourback to Lucerne(suggested by quokka)...

But here's my question.... I am having a hard time navigating Lake Lucerne's website... I can't find what I'm looking for.

I was hoping to see the boat schedules, but it looks like you have to pick destinations, etc... I read that I won't need to get reservations for the cable car... but I can't find wheather or not I need reservations for the boat...

ANY HELP IS greatly appreciated!!!!

Lisa

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO