what to do in dusseldorf Germany

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to do in dusseldorf Germany

We have 5 nights in Dusseldorf in December. We are a group of 4 and travelling by train. Any recommendations as to what to see and do in Dusseldorf and surrounding areas?

We love food, history, culture, shopping almost anything goes.

We want to take a trip to the Rhine from here too, any recommendations, tours, best places to see on the Rhine in a day.

Of course we will definitely go to some Christmas markets.

Thanks
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 05:47 PM

check out the 'Ko' one of Europe's most fashionable streets - because of the famous fashion shops on it and it is also a swank avenue - and the Altstadt, a restaurant/pizzeria outdoor pub ghetto near the river.

Otherwise most of D'dorf was blitzed in WW2 and moderny rebuilt - a nice city but why in the heck are you staying in this rather modern placing lacking the old-world romance many are looking for in Europe - I say this from going to D'dorf for business many times - I'd stay elsewhere unless you have family or a conference or whatever.

The Rhine is an easy day trip - take a train to Rudesheim via Koblenz and start the K-D boagt cruise there - best of the Rhine gorge for about 21.5 hours or so to Koblenz, an interesting city too. Get on and off the boat at places like Marksburg Castle, about the only castle on the Rhine not laid to ruins by marauding armies like Napoleon's.

k-d.com for boat schedules. For lots of info on the Rhine and boats and trains check these IMO superb sources: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. check the German Railways shcedule/fare online at www.bahn.de/en - and you can always ALWAYS get on trains just by buying before the train.

If not traveling out of the state D'dorf is in look at basement bargain Regional Passes where you all can travel all day on regional trains for 29 euros or perhaps a tad more - this includes any urban transports like buses, U-Bahns (metros) and S-Bahns (commuter rail lines) - details on Lander Tickets at www.bahn.de/en).

Unfortunately there are not that many great short day trips from a D'dorf base, another reason not to base there unless you must. Cologne and its great GREAT cathedral are a short train trip.

Amsterdam, one of Europe's most exq
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 05:48 PM

exquisitely gorgeous cities is only a few hours away by train. It 'high' point for some is its many coffeeshops that sell cannibas over the counter and you can smoke it inside - all quite legally.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 08:18 AM

I recommend starting the K-D boat tours in Rudesheim because this is where many of the service commence before crossing the river to Bingen - IME there are many tour bus groups (Rudesheim being, along with Rothenburg-on-Tauber a tour bus mecca) and many if not all the best seats - throse along the railing up front so you can see both sides of the river from the very front of the boat, will be snatched by the time the boat reaches Bingen. Trains service to Rudesheim is excellent from Koblenz.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Aachen and its ancient cathedral and thermal installations - extent I believe from times the city was called by a French name Aix-la-Chapelle and was one of the most important cities in Europe - Charlemagne's capital I believe (not positive about that) - but a very historic city just 1.5 hours by train from Dusseldorf.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:47 AM

The K-21 has always appealed to me but each time I've been to Dusseldorf I've never timed it right.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 10:14 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunstsa...hein-Westfalen

Well yes D'dorf is a major city for art as well as fashion (ranking right up there with Paris and New York they say) - nice museums - and there is a nice large park worth exploring too.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 11:47 AM

Pal, when were you last in Dusseldorf for any length of time?

We have family living in and around there and enjoy the city very much. I like its contemporary vibe. Not everything has to be oldy-worldy to have appeal. (FYI, the "Ko" Pal cryptically refers to is actually the Königsallee.)

That said, a very pleasant day trip, esp in December, is to Hattingen, a beautiful small town that was one of the places in the Ruhr valley that didn't get bombed. So what you see in the old town is not rebuilt. And it has a charming Christmas market: http://www.ruhr-tourismus.de/staedte...hattingen.html

Less than an hour from Dusseldorf; change trains in Essen.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Weisser - I love Dusseldorf and always did - I stayed in the camping on the Rhine with groups I led thru there at least 40 times for 2 days at a time - I jogged for miles all around the city and yes it is a nice nice city - nice Rhine front - better developed then before (I have not been back in recent years)

but one thing I am sure of is that the average American tourist will be expecting something more romantic - more old-worldish - like Heidleberg or Freibourg, etc.

I just can't fathom someone staying there for so long without some reason - there are not even many easy really neat day trips from there.

That said anyone looking for a nice nice large city not overrun by tourists Dusseldorf is the place - I would stay there again but I would never recommend it to someone going to Europe the first time as they would perhaps be disappointed at how new and modern the place is - so I agree with you.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

We are an Australian family and we chose Dusseldorf because my son wants to also take a day trip to Dortmund (His favourite football team) We were hoping to get in a football game but they are on a break the time we will be in Germany.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 03:39 PM

"We are an Australian family and we chose Dusseldorf because my son wants to also take a day trip to Dortmund (His favourite football team) We were hoping to get in a football game but they are on a break the time we will be in Germany."

The best thing you can say about Dusseldorf is that it isn't Dortmund.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Hi mandalay,

I am the local guy who lives in Düsseldorf.

However, it is currently 2:30 a.m. and after a fantastic evening with a bbq party in our garden, it is time to go to bed.

I will post tomorrow, after a good sleep.

But what I can say: Forget the Rhine in December, but anyway you will have a fantastic time in one of Europe's most attractive cities!

And spare a thought for the French. They have there virtues when it comes to wine and food.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 05:15 PM

It's easy to get to Koln from Dusseldorf and aachen is fairly close.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 10:03 PM

I have been to Düsseldorf a number of times. It is just so so bad, as PalenQ says, that I keep going back whenever I can. I love it.

The Altstadt is one of the best in Germany. There was a farmers market nearby on my last visit. Unfortunately my favorite cafe, the Doctor Jazz, had closed the last time I was there. Maybe it has reopened.

Of course there is no such place as the "Ko" mentioned by PalenQ. It is the Königsallee as corrected by WeisserTee on Jul 4, 14 at 3:47pm. It is quite a boulevard with many famous shops and a beautiful fountain at one of the bridges. Locals promenade on Sundays.

There is a great traditional German beer hall on the edge of the Altstadt, a block or so from the Rhine.

For a day trip a visit to the Dom in Köln is a must.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 06:22 AM

Of course there is no such place as the "Ko" mentioned by PalenQ. It is the Königsallee as corrected by WeisserTee on Jul 4, 14 at 3:47pm.>

the "Ko" is what folks always called it when I was there so many times and that's why I put it in 'Ko' - surprised being a denizen of D'dorf you did not know that.

and yes D'dorf is a really nice town as I have said - but I do say I would never recommend it as a base for someone who has never been to Germany simply because the average tourist at least would find it less than than the romantic old-world picture of Europe in their minds' eyes and thus may blame me for the recommendation.

But I agree D'dorf is a very very pleasant city but there is not much to do there after a day or so for the average tourist and day trips that are worthy of what a tourist expects are lacking - so for most tourists a very poor base.

For a day or two yes for five nights never - why not go to the Rhine or Mosel - to a city like Cochem for a few days and use it as a base -

The Mosel is an extremely scenic river valley and the Rhine Gorge cute too.

Five days in D'dorf for the average tourist would be rather boring IMO - I am just looking at what the average tourist may want and not the Dusseldorf is not a nice nice huge city.

Now Cochem is a smaller city that will fulfill most tourists' romantic notions of Europe - use it as a base - great rail service - to visit Burg Eltz, one of Germany's finest and most famous castles, do a boat tour on the Mosel and to hop to the nearby Rhine Gorge.

Spend a few days in Dusseldorf and 3 here or elsewhere - why 5 days only in Dusseldorf?

https://www.google.com/search?q=coch...w=1455&bih=946
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Before I start writing about Düsseldorf, let's make clear what you can expect weatherwise.

December is a dark month. The days are short, you have full daylight between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. only. Typical temperatures are something between 0°C and 10°C, and it will often rain. There can be snow or sleet, but most likely is rain.

How deal Germans with these conditions? Firstly, with ample Christmas decoration to bring light and colour into these dark times. Secondly, with a cup of Glühwein, Phärisäer (coffee with a generous shot of rum and a cap of whipped cream) or Tote Tante (same thing with hot chocolate). It is alos the time for Christmas shopping, and you will see many people on the streets, despite coldness and rain.

Now, let's come to Düsseldorf.

Cityscape: Düsseldorf is a residential city with an attractive, wide boardwalk along the riverbank, lined by restaurants and bars. Right in the city centre, there is a small old harbour with a historic barge. The old town (Altstadt) is a lively neighbourhood with hundreds of bars and restaurants. Perhaps most typical is the "Uerige", a brew pub with rustic food and the amber beer (Altbier) that is regularly brought be the waiters.

The southern part of the Altstadt is the Carlstadt. The Carlstadt is quieter, more elegant, has more historic architecture and art galleries. Düsseldorf has two fine baroque churches, the Andreaskirche and the beautiful Maxkirche where Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy and Robert Schumann acted as church music directors.

As said, the Königsallee or Kö is an elegant boulevard with the river Düssel flowing in the middle and high class stores on one side. If you are interested in shopping - in Düsseldorf you will find anything you want in any price range.

Culture: Düsseldorf has some two dozen museums. There are two very good art museums: K20 for 20th century art and K21 for contemporary art. The Museum Kunstpalast also has exhibitions of contemporary artists. There is an excellent movie museum, a navigation museum, the aquazoo and many more. And you can visit Benrath Castle.

Excursions: In any case, you should ride to the Neanderthal in a suburb of Düsseldorf. You will see a state-of-the-art museum not just with the two dozen bones of the Neanderthal man, but with a full history of mankind. Absolutely stunning, with audioguides in English. You can also visit the place where the fossils where found and walk through the lovely Neanderthal valley with corrals of ice-age animals (if you catch a day with fair weather).

Another excursion goes to Köln (Cologne). The cathedral is magnificent and so is the Roman-Germany Museum. In Köln you find more Roman traces (you can walk through a 2,000-year-old sewer!), more museums with modern and medieval art and the chocolate museum. And, of course, brewpubs serving the light Kölsch beer. But be aware: the relation between Düsseldorf and Köln is like the relation between Los Angeles and San Francisco or Schalke and Dortmund!

You find more information here:

http://www.duesseldorf-tourismus.de/en/home/

If you have further questions do not hesitate to ask. I will be happy to assist you.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM

PalenQ on Jul 5, 14 at 10:22am
the "Ko" is what folks always called it when I was there so many times and that's why I put it in 'Ko' - surprised being a denizen of D'dorf you did not know that.

Yup, I know that. I had a girlfriend in Düsseldorf. Her circles were proud to call Königsallee by its proper name. People who don't know "Ko" (which is anybody who hasn't been to Düsseldorf) will never find it on a map or street sign.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM

If you have further questions do not hesitate to ask. I will be happy to assist you.>

Is that huge legal brothel still in operation near the Hauptbahnhof as it was some years ago?
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM

>>> Is that huge legal brothel still in operation near the Hauptbahnhof as it was some years ago?
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 02:45 PM

thanks traveller1959 - I was not mentioning that or endorsing that as a sight or site to see but was curious if Germany like Amsterdam is getting rid of its red-light districts and if prostitution were still legal - as I support though I condemn the sex for pay trade in general.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -