What to buy in London?

Search

What to buy in London?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to buy in London?

What is the best thing you ever bought in London, either for yourself or as a gift?

We'll be there this weekend and I am looking for ideas - Lush soap? Burberry scarf (or knockoff...)? What IS a Harrod's bag?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:02 AM

The best thing I ever bought in London was "Characters of Romance" by Sir William Nicholson printed in 1900. It is the publisher's file copy and contains 16 colored lithographs, approximately 16 X 20, of famous characters from novels.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:13 AM

My personalised Anya Hindmarch bag.
No idea what a Harrod's bag is, unless you mean a plastic tote with Harrods logo; not the height of fashion I must say.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Sorry - but what's the big deal with Lush products and getting them in Britain? Why not just get them in a major city near you? I live in Toronto Canada and there are Lush stores at almost all the major shopping areas and malls. Why go to Britain for it?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Matrexx, The big deal is that there are only two Lush stores in the US, Boston and San Francisco. That is not a coincidence, BTW, as the company's founder is intentionally introducing shops very slowly to extend the allure of the product. And as a marketing ploy it seems to be working. A few years back everyone was cooing over The Body Shop but their image tanked when the company overexpanded into every mall in America.

shaya, the best thing we ever bought for ourselves was an antique brass fireplace fender. we always bring back a good supply of british chocolate and indian snack mixes. Lush stuff too.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:41 AM
jenifer

I wish I had bought more tea in London at Fortnum and Mason's. I can buy tea here, but it takes me back to London every time I use that tea.

Also, Lush is great. I enjoy the red rooster hand soap in my kitchen! The bath bombs are overrated in my opinion, though, and they got me stopped at customs because they thought it was fruit

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Hi again Shaya: On a lighter subject, I love museum shops (both here and in Europe) and have found a lot of unique things to buy both for myself and for gifts. Can't think of one particular thing that was best at the moment, but large assortment of books, jewelry, scarves, etc.

I have quite a large collection of leather bookmarks that we have bought at museums (sometimes buy paper ones at art museums), cathedrals, historical sites, sometimes even cities we visit (Oxford and Stratford for example). Hope someday to make and frame some sort of collage with them.

I am a Christmas ornament freak and always try to find something wherever we travel to put on the tree. When I decorate the tree and put on each ornament it reminds me of one of the great trips we have taken. In London I found some about 6"-8" felt figures of Queen's Guards, Yeoman Warders (who give the tours at the Tower of London), Henry VIII and his wives. They make perfect ornaments for the tree.

We bought lovely wool scarves at Heathrow and avoided the tax. Also bought some head & wrist bands with Wimbledon on them for a niece who is a tennis player.

These may not be things that interest you, but hopefully I've given you some useful suggestions.

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Christmas ornaments are a lovely suggestion! I can imagine pulling it out of the packing each year and reminiscing (sp?) about the grand time we had in London!
Is Fortnum and Mason's strictly a tea shop? Where is it? ( I love tea!)
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
F&M is a very old (1700's?) department store with a famous food hall whose clientele includes many royals. Very well known for their teas. It's a fun place to browse, have tea and pick up token gifts for friends and family. A must see for the first time visitor to London. You can have a closer look and get directions at fortnumandmason.com.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 08:57 AM

The Gothic exhibition at the V+A (referring to the period from 1400 to the Reformation, not Romanian horror movies) is possibly the most over-rated exhibition this year. (The sad truth is that most of the best stuff the English produced in that period was destroyed or severely vandalised in a Taliban-like fit of Protestant fundamentalism)

Some may disagree. But after the exit to the exhibition (ie you don't need to pay to get to it) is a great collection of 15th Century-derived merchandise.

Much modelled on items in non-UK museums. But they LOOK as if you found them in an obscure backstreet shop in Little Twiddlesdale.

Potentially excellent Christmas presents and tree/table decorations. If there are any left
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Floorit

PG Tips!!

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:52 AM
aj

The "Harrods" bag is probably a fabric/laminated carry bag with the Harrods name and/or logo. They are fun to use if you want to impress your friends that you did shop at Harrods. I personally like to collect the small ornate enameled boxes made in England. Perhaps a watercolor painting or a famous London scene. Have a wonderful time in London and don't forget to stop at a pub for some great beer!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 10:12 AM

when we were there, there was a discount CHINA shop that had super great buys on china- both normal and discontinued...so we loaded up on that...

China Etc Ltd
21 Shepperton Road
Laleham, Middlesex TW18 1SE ENGLAND
Tel: + 44 (0) 1784 210011
Fax: + 44 (0) 1784 492604
Email: [email protected]

In addition, I got an AWESOME cashmere shawl that I am crazy about!!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

AJ- don't worry the pub is ahead of shopping on the master itinerary!

Andy- china store sounds promising, but more importantly did you get a good deal and, if so, where?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:26 PM

We also buy Christmas ornaments from our travels.
I have two "best" things I bought in London, though: an antique shell-shaped plate in the pattern I collect that we found in an antique mall, and a carved wooden bear painted in a Beefeater's uniform.
Things that might be more available, though, are not cards, birthday cards, etc. The illustrations are generally beautiful!
Annette
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Hi
I too am a fan of museum gift shops, and imo the shop at the V & A is one of the best ever.

For specific purchases, I treasure my Royal Albert porcelain mugs, delicate and pretty considering that they are mugs and not teacups. Got them at Reject China, on Brompton Road, between Harrods and the V & A.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Doesn't sound like much, but the Rosetta Stone t-shirt I bought at the British Museum gets several comments every time I wear it. About half from people who know what it is and half from people who want to know what it is.

Keith
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Well, the *best* thing I bought in London were chocolates from Charbonnel et Walker on Old Bond Street, and the next best were Cadbury Fruit & Nut bars (which are much better than what you get in the U.S.) and Jaffa Cakes from Sainsbury or Waitrose grocery stores.

More lasting items are a small Wedgwood plate and a couple of miniature buildings. The gift shop in the basement at St. Paul's Cathedral has lovely things.

There are several Reject China shops, one up the street from Harrod's. Their china is not necessarily seconds, and the prices are pretty good. My sister collects Wedgwood's Wild Strawberry pattern, and we have found several things for her there that don't seem to be available at home.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:21 AM

I was once shopping in Harrods, and had several of their green plastic bags. I was stopped by an American lady who asked if she could have one of my plastic bags, since I had several, and she couldn't afford to buy anything in Harrods, but still wanted a shopping bag. Thought that was a bit odd. But then there was the kid who bought presents for friends, and wanted a small green shopping bag for each of the small presents; the assistant refused (not very nice I thought).
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 03:58 AM

I agree with Carolyn that Cadbury chocolate is much better in Europe. (I say Europe because I usually eat it in Ireland.) It must be made differently than what we find in the US.

As for purchases, I felt that I had to buy SOMETHING in Harrods, so I got a set of teaspoons. (They are similar to our demitasse spoons.) They weren't terribly expensive but they were from Harrods!

It has bothered me that I never bought, of all things, one of the magnets I saw everywhere of the red London phone booth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -