What to bring back from Paris

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:14 PM
Maria

What to bring back from Paris

My husband will be traveling to Paris in June for business. I would love for him to bring me back something fun, but since we're talikng "man shopping" it would need to be something easy for him to find.I'm a woman in my 40's, not too conservative. Any suggestions?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:47 PM
xxx

Perfume or anything from the store: Lush!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:37 PM
Vanessa

Perfume is a great idea; the famous Creed parfumerie originates there, and they have one-of-a-kind fragrances, including Fleurissimo, which was originally created especially for Grace Kelley.

Limoges boxes are fun, collectible, and very French (my personal choice if you like charming momentos). Scarves, chocolates (La Maison du Chocolat is exceptional), stationery, linens...I could go on!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
Sue

"Everybody" was buying Herve Chapelier bags when I was there. Check out his website www.herve-chapelier.com for colors and sizes, and to see if you like the look. They are becoming very popular here in US; here in Pgh. we have only 1 little boutique that has small selection. Prices are almost 1/2 less in Paris. He has stores all over Paris; we were in the 6th arr. location, on rue Vieux Colombier; check it out on map. Runs off rue Bonaparte; few min. from Deux Magots, as reference point. Another store is on rue du Faubourg St. Honore. Galeries Lafayette has very small selection of them. My daughter and I spent more hours in Herve-Chapelier than I want to admit, deciding on colors, sizes, shapes for ourselves and for gifts back home. Lots of Americans (and French) in the store; ran into young couple from NYC who said that the bags are triple the price in NYC?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Lori

Limoges boxes, Longchamps bags, Hermes scarfs, Perfume (if you tell him exactly which one), food items - mustard, spices, wine, champagne, kitchen accessories, fun french hardware type things from BHV - drawer pulls, etc.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:58 AM
pam

Sue, can you give me an idea of the prices of those Herve Chapelier bags? I looked at their website, but they list no prices (never a good sign!!).
They are cute bags, though.
Thanks,
Pam

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:40 AM
Sue

Pam, first of all, there are many more sizes, shapes, styles,and colors than on website, which makes it all the more fun/difficult to choose!

The style I chose for myself measures 17" long, 9" deep, and it cost 56 euros. It has handles that are long enough to be used as a short shoulder bag, and I used it as such for rest of trip. I bought a larger one to be used as a tote, and it measures 25x13 for 68 euros. I bought some little ones (change purses, perhaps) for gifts that measure 6 1/2 x 3, and they were 20 e.; a 12 x 5 1/2 cost 38 e. These are all in inches; website uses cm. None of the ones I bought have leather on them; that adds to cost. My dghtr. bought a largish one with leather handles, trim, and it was ~ 120 e.

If you spend over 175 e in one store (not hard to do at H-C!), they fill out forms for detaxe, have them stamped at airport, mail them from airport, and in approx. 3 mos. we should get back 13% of what we spent there, credited to my Visa card.

The colors are just wonderful esp. for summer! I already wish I had bought more.

Anecdote: we decided we needed some more for other gifts, so my son-in-law suggested we make quick trip back to the store late one afternoon; we ended up spending another 2 hrs. there. Fortunately, there was a chair for him to sit on; he'd stayed in hotel for our first foray and was incredulous that our quick trip back ended up taking so much time. A patient, good-natured man he is!

Add.: Longchamps has a store at other end of rue Vieux Colombier--nice also!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:45 AM
Dee

Sue,

How much of a discount off of the Longchamps bags??? THanks!!!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:54 AM
Sue

Dee, sorry, but all the numbers are running together for me at this point; had to refer to detaxe carbon for post on HC bags. Seemed to be "considerable" savings on Longchamps, tho; did not buy there. Two days of our short stay were a Sunday and holiday-- stores closed (5/19, 5/20); would have been back to Long. if time had allowed. Nice selection of them in Galeries Laf., too.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:11 AM
pam

Sue: Thanks so much for the info.! Those bags sound like they will make great gifts. I love all the color choices. My 14-year-old daughter and I should have fun there, but guess we will have to park hubby/dad and son/brother in one of those chairs!
Pam

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:14 AM
Dee

Sue,

Thanks for ALL the info. you've provided. Going to Paris for the first time in about 6 weeks, and reading your posts has really been fun!!

Dee

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:32 AM
Sue

Pam and Dee, have fun in Paris; hope to hear from you on here re your shopping experiences when you return! A truly frenetic and fun place to shop for make up, etc., is the giant Sephora on Champs-Elysees! I get sensory overload in a place like that, but it's still an experience not to miss!

BTW, we did do things other than shop; eg, bought tix for a lovely concert(Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi) at La Sainte Chapelle; beautiful music in that breathtakingly beautiful Gothic chapel.

Just returned yesterday afternoon and am ready to go back!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Lori

The savings on Longchamps is considerable. A Pliage shopper (the large nylon bag with that easily slings from the shoulder), that runs $100 in Saks in NY, was 55 euros (about $49) in Galleries Lafayette. I know, I bought 2 of them, and several other bags.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:21 PM
jeanne

Oh, my! The numbers are flying fast and furious! Q: When you guys or others on this site post prices, do those prices generally include the vat tax? In fact, Does the price on the tag generally include the vat tax or does one have to mentally add it?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:01 PM
linda

Scarves are great to bring back. Also picked up some great gifts at Fauchon (Place Madeleine). Another idea is gloves (Gants Helion-Rue Royale) Some cosmetics lines that are very difficult to get in N. America.Check out the shops on the Rue de Rivoli, alongside the Louvre...lots of tackiness but some real finds as well. Some of the shops under the Louvre have neat stuff...one (can't recall names) sells posters and really great dayplanners and calendars; another sold Phillippe Starck (sp?) fly swatters and French bar glasses. But my absolute favourite is Anne Fontaine shops (several locations)..they sell white shirts.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Diane

When last there I saw beautiful lacey thigh high stockings that do not require garters -- they stay up by themselves. Brought back several pairs as gifts for friends. Depending on the department store and the stockings selected, prices ran about $5 - $15 a pair. Many colors and styles; especially lovely ones at Galleries Lafayette. The stockings themselves look ordinary -- it's the band across the thigh that is intricate.

Old May 24th, 2002, 01:13 AM
jenviolin

A scarf - the large, cotton/linen or cotton/wool kind in fabulous colors and patterns, almost like a light tapestry... Ground floor of Printemps or Galleries Lafayette.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Lori

Jeanne,
The prices include the VAT tax. Once you spend the appropriate amount you have the store complete the paperwork to get it back. You do not get the entire 19.6% back though, you only get about 12%. The best deal is Galeries Lafayette, because as a tourist you can get a tourist shopping card that will save you 10% on just about every purchase, and then get the 12% VAT back. The 10% is not good on everything, not on Louis Vuitton at GF for example.

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Sue

Galeries Lafayette is a wonderful place to save $$, with the discount plus detaxe, as Lori says, but just make sure you allow yourself lots of time there! It is so big and very busy; it was our last stop the day before we came home, and that was a mistake. It "deserves" (if one can say that about a dept. store!) more time! It is actually a very beautiful building, also.

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:54 AM
not

Why don't you just let your husband pick something out and surprise you? I may not be representative of other males, but some of the things mentioned on this thread would be beyond my shopping expertise (or at least patience). If you must dictate what he brings you, keep it simple and make sure he knows step by step where to get it, how much it will cost, etc. Also, keep in mind how much free time he'll have (i.e. he may not have much time to wander around with your shopping list).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -