Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What time of year is it best to travel to Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Ted

We do prefer to travel in the "off" season. But we do want to enjoy the country. Thanks for opinions.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:37 PM
martha

I've been to Greece only once in the fall of 2000. We were there the last 2 weeks of September and the first week of October. The weather was still good .There were still quite a few tourists but apparently it wasn't as crowded as peak season in July and August. If I were to go back i would certainly pick that time again.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Andrea

We went the week following Easter, which was a lovely time. Too early for most of the tourist crowds, but wonderful weather. We plan to go again to the islands and would pick this time again.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Diane

I've been there several times in either early May or early June. The weather in May was the best; in June it starts to get hot, but still acceptable. With the exception of a couple of days on Mykonos during a holiday, there were few people out and about in May. We first flew to Santorini on the last day of April (1999) and we felt like we had the island to ourselves -- it was wonderful and the hotels were discounted.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:22 AM
Sanne

My absolute favourite seasons in Greece are spring (late may - early june) or fall (mid to late september).<BR><BR>Spring because everything is fresh and new and because the greeks sort of starts a new year with tourists (they aren't to tired of them - depending of course where you're going) and fall because the weather is great (indian summer) and the water and beaches are warmer than spring after a long dry summer.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:12 AM
Joanne

About 5-6 years ago we went to Athens and also took a four day cruise to many islands in October. The weather was great. Wore lightweight clothes and walked around Athens at night in shirt sleeves. Don't remember even having any rain while we were there. Crowding wasn't too bad either.<BR><BR>j

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:44 AM
kelly

I went in the beginning of June and thought it was the perfect time on the islands, but Athens was a bit hot. It is also much, much cheaper than July or August and the were no crowds, even on Mykonos and Santorini.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:01 PM
jeffergray

The "off" seasons is definitely the time to go to Greece. You can get some very nice days as early as mid-March, but in my book April is the time to go. The wildflowers are all at their peak then, not having yet been burned brown and dry by the summer heat. The day temperatures are typically in the low 60s early and late in the day, low 70s during most of the day. The people in the tourist service industry (hotel managers, etc.) aren't yet burned out by the summer crowds and are still willing to take an interest in you -- maybe help arrange some special tours or excursions. In Crete, you can certainly go swimming in mid-to-late April, and the beaches won't be crowded at all. Nor will you have to wait for slow-moving herds of overfed, sunburnt tourists to move out of your pictures at the archaeological sites.<BR><BR>A lot of these good points would also apply in the fall, but with the following three caveats: (1) the tourist service personnel are all exhausted and jaded, and just can't wait for the season to end; (2) the vegetation has all been burned to a dry crisp; and (3) the days are shorter than in April, so you have less time for sightseeing.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Ian

Have been to Greece in both the Spring (May) and Fall (Oct). I concurr with the other comments. I would definately go to Greece in May. The weather is better AND it is at the start of the tourist season. In October the locals are fed up to the teeth of tourists, less friendly, and the accomodation costs are higher-particularily if it has been a great summer. I have found the locals are much friendlier and the hotel prices are lower in May. I would also highly recommend a site trip to Southern Turkey-it is beautiful and the people are very friendly. Just a one hour hydrofoil ride away from Rhodes and well worth the trip.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:56 PM
John G

I can remember being in Delphi in June and it was so hot you could not walk down the street in the afternoon or you would feel like fainting. I think it would be much cooler in late April or October, without being cold.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Vera

Definitely April. Ahhh, the wild irises blooming at the Mistra ruins near Sparts; and the whild thyme on top of the rock of Monemvasia. Sigh.<BR>Vera

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:29 AM
xxx

t

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:33 AM
theodora

I recommend around the end of May and beginning of June. The weather is very nice for the beach, hotels are cheaper, and if you are planning to use the ferry, you have more choices at the beginning of June than in May.