Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What tickets (for family activities) do you need to get for Edinburgh hogmanay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 01:27 PM
LS

We are planning on attending hogmanay in Edinburgh this year. However, it is not clear exactly which tickets to which events are worthwhile getting for family oriented activities. Is the New Year's celebration in Edinburgh a good one for families (with kids who are mostly young teenagers) to attend? Or is it mostly drinking? If so, what things should we make sure to do/see? How do we get the tickets - is that something our hotel can get for us?<BR>By the way, is everything closed January 1st in Edinburgh? Should we make sure to see the sights on December 30th and before?<BR> Thanks for your advice.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 02:08 PM
xxx

www.edinburghshogmanay.org

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Barbara

LS, I hope you have found the info you need from the web site posted above. If you have any specific questions, please let me know. I was there last year with my children, then ages 20,14 and 12. There is a lot of drinking, but also a lot of police around. I chose not to take my two younger children to the street party, mostly because I don't like being in huge crowds. I think that it would have been OK, though, and as they have made far fewer tickets available last couple of years, the crowds are not so bad. On Jan,1, everything in Edinburgh is closed, a lot also on Jan 2. There may be restaurants open, though. All the tourist sites will be closed Jan 1, although the I think the Botanic Gardens are open, and the zoo. It is difficult to get around on Jan 1 as the buses run on a holiday schedule and there are very few taxis around and need to be booked ahead of time.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:17 PM
topper

For LS.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:01 AM
Jenny

Hi,<BR><BR>I'd say that most of the daytime events, and some of the evening ones are fine for kids. I took my god-daughter (8) to the torch-light processions, Beating the Retreat and the husky dog racing last year. <BR><BR>If you are sensible about where you stand on Prices St, you will be fine with children - just avoid the main junctions with other streets - maybe George St would actually be better - you will still see the fireworks from all around this area, and the music is relayed by loudspeaker and there are large screens.<BR><BR>I'm afraid unless you already have street party tickets, it might now be rather difficult to come by them. Check out the Edinburgh's Hogmany site, and also check with the accomodation you will be staying at to see if they can provide you with any. Also, my post to another thread may help:<BR><BR>Author: Jenny ([email protected])<BR>Date: 11/13/2001, 05:54 am<BR>Message: Most of Edinburgh is not closed on New Year's Day -only really the shops. (I live in Edinburgh...) A whole pile of the galleries and museums do free entry on New Year's Day, and there's always a lot of events in Holyrood Park - last year was husky racing, etc. The organisers of the New Year's celebrations are trying to get more going on on New Year's Day itself, because of the amount of people here for the Hogmany celebrations. Have a look at http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/ for more info.<BR><BR>If there's anything else, please feel free to contact me. <BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Jenny<BR><BR><BR><BR>