Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite breakfast spot in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Breakfast is my best meal of the day. Whether it's an Irish breakfast, a full English breakfast, or whatever, what is your favorite place for breakfast? And what is your favorite item on the menu?
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:51 AM

Paul's Patisserie on Bedford Street in Convent Garden area had unbeleivable pastries and a really nice place to eat breakfast.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Chatters

If I were you, I would not get too excited about English breakfast. The word vile comes to mind.... what was that about?

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM

The Fox and Anchor pub in Smithfield. A completely croissant-free zone.

And surrounded by loads of similar places aimed at people who eat quiche only if it's stuffed with lardons and served with a couple of bottles of decent red. As well as some of London's least visited medieval architecture (try to get into Bart's Hospital, or do some early-morning meditation in St Bartholemew's church. See where Braveheart finally met his fate)

Tough to choose between the steak and the black pudding. But a pint of Guinness goes pretty well with either - especially around 7 am, after a night's clubbing or a few hours' work.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:09 AM

Any corner "caf" that serves a proper helping of tasty greasy eggs,bacon and fried bread. Look for a line of black cabs parked outside...sort of like an American truck stop!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

oooo, flanneruk, St. Bartholemew's was not even on my radar for this trip. I think I <b>will</b> do that!

Thanks for all the positive responses!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:09 PM

The coffee shop at Harrod's is very good.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:24 AM

If you want to try the biggest and best breakfast in London head for The Fountain Restaurant in Fortnum &amp; Masons on Picadilly. Its not cheap at &pound;10 for a breakfast main however, the food is homely and large and the surrounds are truly London. If you can't do breakfast, at least try one of their family ice-cream sundaes for &pound;5. A visit to this restaurant is a must! If you enter from inside F&amp;M it is the restaurant DOWNSTAIRS.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Based on a number of responses to this question before, I downloaded information on Valeries in Soho. I plan to check it out this time, but a number of people raved about their breakfasts. It is a kind of patisserie, but their Old Compton Street location does full English breakfasts in their cafe.