Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the name of this wonderful cheese!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last fall, while in Pienza, I had the most delicious cheese dish for lunch. It was a thick slice of cheese which had been wrapped with very thin slices of maybe proscuitto and then lightly sauteed. It kept its shape, but when cut into, melted ever so slightly and was absolutely delectable when eaten with the crusty bread they served with it. I have looked for this recipe and I think the cheese used starts with an S. I have been thinking about this ever since and would love to find a restaurant in Rome in March that perhaps serves this. Anyone know this cheese dish and maybe where I can find it in Rome?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM

Barb, if this was at the Osteria Sette di Vino on Piazza di Spagna, it was grilled pecorino cheese wrapped in thin slices of bacon. Delicious indeed!
I have tried to make it myself but I couldn't find the real Pecorino Toscano. I used the Roman version instead which tasted slightly different (sharper).
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure if that's where it was - the main Piazza in Pienza? but I will look at my notes. I thought it might be pecorino, but I tried it with some that I brought home with me from Pienza and it just didn't melt the same way. Oh, it was SO good.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:12 AM

How about I think its called "casara" or some such (casare, casera?). Truth is, I think Nigella Lawson made this on one of her shows... very white cheese? Held its shape but was oozy. In what area is Pienza? Ligura? Tuscany? Bologna? Parma...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

It's in Tuscany and home of the wonderful percorino toscano cheese. That's why I thought it had to be pecorino. Has anyone had something similar in Roma?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM

Well, you could log on to igourmet.com, lots of cheeses...
think of all the taste testing!

Or, write to Mario Batali...?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM

I just found out that Pienze makes its own special cheese. Its called "solp".

I adore food threads?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM

Quick, let me get my hat! Barb, please find your notes and report in on the name of the restaurant. I'll be in the area in April.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:18 PM

Sounds to me like "scamorza", a regional specialty in Rome. Yummy.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Myriam - you were right - went home for lunch and looked at my journal and it was Osteria Setti di Vino, so I guess it must have been pecorino. I also checked online for some recipes and kfusto was right on - there is a dish made from provola or scamorza that sounds very similar to what I had in Pienza. It is grilled just like the pecorino. So, again, my question is - any places in Rome where I can get this?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks for posting the info, Barb. This dish has no cholesterol, right?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

No, no, it's good for you. That little Oseria in Pienza was so lovely. It's right in the Piazza and if it's warm enough to sit outside it's a great place to relax and people-watch - not to mention have some of the wonderful grilled pecorino, served on a bed of arugula with warm crusty bread on the side complimented with a nice glass of local red wine. Doesn't get much better than that. Actually that is exactly what I wrote in my journal "doesn't get much better than this".
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:35 PM

Barb, I have the same warm memories of this little place. We had great weather and sat outside -- maybe you'll recognize it in the picture? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0430PIENZA.jpg

Betsy, definitely order a bottle of Brunello to go with your cheese at the Osteria Sette di Vino. It was the best wine we had during our trip and not too expensive here.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Myriam - that's it - what a beautiful little spot. Wasn't Pienza great. Did you try Latte di Luna? I had a memorable dinner there - grilled pork - a plate full the size of half a pig!! but absolutely delicious.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM

Oh Lordy that sounds good!
Until we get to go to Italy, I guess I will have to try to make this at home.
Thanks Barb!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM

A wonderful cheese if one can find it but it is an excuse to return to Italy.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM

Basking in the sun while lunching on grilled pecorino and brunello at the Ostteria Setti di Vino went right to the to the tippy-top of my Pienza list. Wish I could wiggle my nose and be there right now. Whew, so glad that pecorino with prosciutto is good for me.

I've been to Latte di Luna and recommend it highly (except for that lovely long -legged Italiana who talked loudly non-stop on her cell phone throughout our entire dinner on the patio. Could've done without that.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:27 AM

There are two places in Rome I can recommend for this.

For dinner, Il Gabriello at Via Vittoira 51 (you can get here from Via Condotti with a few turns; check out the map as it is on a quiet side dtreet). It is a lovely restaurant and I saw this dish on the menu there last week while enjoying smoked swordfish and gnocci with clams and porcini mushrooms - yumm!

Also, if you go to Piazza della Rotunda and face away from the Pantheon, there is a little street which is your cery first left past the Del Senato. There are two retaurants across from each other that are owned by the same people. The name is Il Facciolari (sp?) and this was only open for dinner last week but the other - pizza ovens in the window - is open for lunch and this is where I first had this dish about 6 years ago. We had lunch there last week. It is a bit touristy but the pizzas are quite good and I go there for the Parpadelle alla Cinghiale.

I am soooo missing Italy right now!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Via Vittoria 51 for Il Gabriello. Sorry for this misspelling - I was busy fantasizing about the food....
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

kfusto: This is great - thanks so much! I will definitely check out both places. The gnocci with clams and porcini sounds heavenly as does the papardelle alla cinghiale, not to mention the grilled cheese. I can't wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -