Reload this Page >

What;'s The Best Travel

Search

What;'s The Best Travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Question

What;'s The Best Travel

I enjoy travel writing an was looking for opinion's on the best travel book. Of what I've real, P. J. O'Rouke's "Holiday's In Hell" is by far the best, nut it would great to find some new ones,

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Question

Oops sorry about the typos. Hit the wrong key before being ready. Let me try that again:<BR><BR>I enjoy travel writing an was looking for opinions on the best travel book. Of what I've real, P. J. O'Rouke's "Holiday's In Hell" is by far the best, but it would great to find some new ones.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 07:51 AM
wes fowler

I've a vast library of travel books; the one writer I return to most frequently is Jan Morris. Unhappily, she announced in her latest book that it would be her last (she's now in her mid-70s and has been writing since the early '40s). Morris is a superb wordsmith and writes with wonderful, witty and wise perceptions of the things about her. She's written about Venice, Oxford, Hong Kong, Trieste (most recently), Wales her homeland and has published any number of books devoted to her travel essays. I recommend her highly to anyone interested in travel coupled with fine writing.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Judy

Wes:Could you please tell in which book Jan Morris announced being the final? I just finished her"A Writer's House in Wales"(2002),and enjoyed it very much.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:44 AM
wes fowler

Judy,<BR>Morris's latest book, in which she announces her "retirement" is "Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere". As the then James Morris, a member of the British military, she first visited Trieste during the Second World War. She ends her travel writing career by returning to Trieste, a city she found to be fascinating, both then and now.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Judy

Wes:<BR>Thank you for the reply.Porbably I was a little confused since "Trieste..."was published last September,"A Writer's House in Wales" was published last month.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
tothetop

ttt