What's for breakfast in Irish B&Bs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be traveling with 3 other couples (total 8) to Dublin and Cork areas in early November and staying at B&Bs outside those 2 cities. What does the typical B&B breakfast consist of, and what are normal serving times since we are early risers.
Travelers from Virginia, USA.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 10:05 AM

We got eggs, bacon, toast, coffee, cereal with milk, and orange juice for breakfast about 8 am.
The day we left early to catch a 7 am train, we got very little.
Fruit was a scarce item. If you want any, bring your own.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
An "Irish fry", if that's what is on offer, is eggs and tomato, rashers (like canadian bacon), sausages, white and black pudding (blood sausage) and brown bread. It's hearty enough that I never have to eat lunch, but boy am I thirsty. The butter and marmalade are to die for. But the cereal (granola-like) or oatmeal/porridge are good too (especially with the granulated brown sugar!)

Usually the B&B will have serving hours from 8 onward, but it depends. If you have to leave earlier, they might leave you something or not.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I've always been offered a choice at B&Bs. There's the 'full Irish' as described above, but most places also have lighter offerings. Yogurt, fruit, eggs, smoked salmon, oatmeal and cold cereals, etc.
Some B&B owners ask when you'd like breakfast while others will tell you what time they serve (usually during a window of an hour or two). I don't think I've been anywhere that started serving before 8. But, if you want to get an early start, I think most B&Bs will arrange to leave something simple for you if you request it in advance.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:17 AM

Normal serving time is 8:00 AM but I have had no problem getting an early breakfast at B&B's in: Ballina, Bangor Erris or Belmullet (County Mayo), Miltown Malbay (County Clare) or Limerick City (County Limerick). Small, family-owned B&B's will usually go out of their way to give you breakfast on your schedule; hotels that employ restaurant help may not be so accomodating. But if you are leaving before they start serving, ask for a credit on your bill.

They'll ask you if you want coffee or tea. If you don't see a coffee maker (like a 'Mr. Coffee') ask for tea.

The brown bread and butter are to die for!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:41 AM

To what others described when we were at Heaton's in Dingle they also offered porridge with Drambuie.

Heaton's is a marvellous place,
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:46 AM

I think you'' find the Irish blood sausage inferior to American sausage. Otherwise, a delicious breakfast is assured in Ireland.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Blood pudding (sausage) is disgusting, but the regular sausage you get in Ireland or the UK is far superior to those tiny links you get in the US.

Most B&B hosts are happy to take requests, as long as you're taking away items, not adding them. I usually just ask for eggs, and they seem to appreciate not having to throw away the rest of the stuff that I don't eat.

Don't expect your toast to be hot.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'd recommend at least trying the black and white pudding rather than take the word of posters here. I'm pretty picky about food and happen to like them both (but I like haggis too, so go figure). You just can't get hung up in what it is.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 12:05 PM
cd

I liked the Irish bacon but not the link sausage. I liked the white pudding but not the blood pudding (small round black sausage)but I'm glad I tried it. Just a comment, if you're traveling with 8 people, I'm sure you will reserve rooms in advance as you might not be able to stay at the same place if not, some B&B's only have 3-4 rooms. In that case you might be able to request an earlier breakfast time since you more than likly will all have breakfast at the same time.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 09:07 PM

Well, you know what they say...that a picture is worth a thousand words. Found a quirky little website with photos of Irish breakfasts. http://www.irishbreakfast.0catch.com/

Get a load of the breakfast on page 6. Now that looks good.