What do you get to eat at an Irish B & B

Mar 4th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

What do you get to eat at an Irish B & B

I've read over the descriptions of the breakfast menus on many B & B sites. What exactly do you get? Is it a buffet and all items mentioned on the menu are available? Do the owners ask you to pick one item, i.e., pancakes or French toast or eggs? Are you "waited" on? Thanks.
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:37 AM

It will usually be served to you..eggs, Irish bacon , sausages, maybe black pudding, tomatoes grilled or sometimes fried, brown bread, butter, jams, maybe mushrooms,

Sorry no pancakes or French toast !
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Depending on the establishment, you will likely be offered a traditional Irish breakfast. Many will offer other choices as well, and may have cereal and yogurt, and sometimes fruit, for helping yourself. We have had porridge at some homes instead of the trad (too many eggs for us cholesterol watchers!)
Some will ask you the night before to choose from several options, it makes it a bit easier for them in the morning, and they may well also ask you what time you would like to come down for breakfast.
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Let's start at the end: Yes, you are waited on.

The standard 'fry' breakfast contains a fried egg, two or three link sausages, two slices of Irish bacon, a small portion of black (blood) pudding and of white pudding (suet), toast and Irish brown bread, butter and an assortment of marmalade, jams or jellys. You usually serve yourself to fruit juice and/or yogurt. The person waiting on you will usually pour your first cup of coffee (or tea).

An assortment of cereals is available (as is fresh milk).

I usually order the 'fry' breakfast but without the white pudding - in that case they'll usually double up on the black pudding. Sometimes I ask for more of something else.

Generally, B&B Operators won't 'nickel & dime' you. You can ask for as many things as you want to eat and they will try to accomodate you.
P.S.
The Best Full Irish breakfast I found was at BrigOwn B&B, in Ballina, County Mayo: Marjorie Nowlin, B&B Operator, CookBook Author and a local radio show hostess used to boast 17 entrees on her breakfast menu. After my May'03 visit she had to back that down to 16.

Don't ask!

Mar 4th, 2004, 05:22 AM

We have stayed at some lovely B&Bs that offered scrambled eggs with salmon, which I love. Others have offered lamb kidneys (I admit that my husband tried them last year, I tasted them and they were delicious!), so you may have many options beyond fried eggs.

Seating varies from place to place, so you could have your own small table, or you could be seated at one large table with other guests. Conversations can be interesting!
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:52 AM

The Irish Breakfast/"Ulster Fry" has been well desribed here but quite a few B&Bs are now offering options to the Full Irish breakfast which I find to be a relief after a week or two of fried everything. Yes, you will find offers of french toast or pancakes at some B&Bs (the popular Bunratty Lodge does a mean French Toast). That will usually be offered as an option to the full Irish Breakfast as opposed to in addition to. I wouldn't worry, they almost always come with a buffet of cereals and fruit and usually yoghurt, and breads and toast, juices, tea .... blah blah, blah. You will NOT leave hungry.

Again, it is possible to find pancakes and French toast. I had some fantastic pancakes at a B&B in Oranmore.

Bill
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Its not that complex, most offer basic breakfast and cereals, tea and tost. Some of the more up Market ones offer Pancakes (Irish version) and eggs with salmon etc. They are starting to cater more to the american tastes. Remember It's not a restaurant you are in someones home.
Mar 4th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.