What part of september for Greek Islands

Sep 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

What part of september for Greek Islands

I recently posted a topic, about which Greek Islands to visit, and I found a lot of members on this board, were able to give me excellent advice, on which island/s to visit.
We want to visit the Greek Islands, after the high season, or when the majority of tourists have left the islands. So my question is, "What part of September is that dropping off of tourist period?"
I understand that the waters are still warm enough for swimming.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Sep 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

I also forgot to ask, do the hotel prices drop somewhere in the month of September?
If the large crowds drop off in late September, is is possible to visit in early October, is it still warm enough in the sea to swim (we like swimming each day), or do the hotels, etc, close by then?
Sep 6th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Tropo:

We went to Greece in September/October for our honeymoon years ago. We stayed for six weeks doing Athens, The Peloponese, Santorini, Skaithos, Corfu, Crete, Rhodos, Hydra and some other smaller ones and Mykonos.

Mykonos came during our mid way point and most tourist were gone. I do not remember crowds any where at this time. The weather was excellent the prices were "fine". I know "fine" does not translate into something concrete but I have learned that everybody has a different idea of cheap/expensive so I say "fine" for us for 6 weeks of Honeymoon in Greece...after a lavish weekend long California wedding for 300 people..95% of them that we don't ever see or talk to anymore...funny about that...could have afforded a year off for travelfor two for the cost of the wedding...

We were wed on September 11th MANY years before that day became infamous for the world. I include that date to help you see what 6 week streatch in Sept./Oct. I am talking about.

Enjoy!
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Oaktown Traveller - Hi, I appreciate your advice. We think we will visit the Islands around Mid-September or even later. As you can gather, we don't like visiting places, with millions of other people in the high season. We like to stay in places, that are quiet & peaceful, and find small deserted beaches, or get a water taxi to a beach.(we heard of this means of transport, and it appeals to us)
I was starting to think that no one on this board, had visited the greek islands outside the summer high season.
Thanks once again.
Sep 6th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Oaktown Traveller, if your still looking in on this topic, which islands did you like best on "your" trip?
Sep 6th, 2004, 08:14 PM

Tropo:

Your most welcome...Wow...great question so of course I asked my husband. Our Anniversary is coming up so his answer to that was:
"I Loved Everything Dear".

So, let's see...They were all different, special and absolutely beautiful. Mykonos is the PARTY island. If you do not want "wild" then skip it or stay in at night and watch the lovely sun set while sipping Greek wine, eating Greek cheese etc.

Santorini and Skaithos are probably the islands that are most conducive to nesting and more serene type days and nights if you want. Mind you, you are just a few steps away from significant busy times on both islands should you want a change of pace.

Rhodos, Corfu, Crete, The Pelop., Hydra and the others have lots of sights that you HAVE to see. The populations are larger and so on. Yet, these Islands can be intimate, quiet and you can easily find your own private beach.

I don't think you can go wrong this time of year. Water Taxi's are fine. We flew and took some boats around the smaller islands that were more clustered together. This was fun.

Enjoy!
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply, you have been most helpful. Happy Wedding Anniversary.
Regards Leigh.(Tropo)
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Not sure whether this applies to Greece but in doing my research for Croatia,
I found that the magic date is September 15th for almost all the coastal hotels there.

Prices drop by as much as 30% to 50% after that date. Unfortunately my dates there are all between the 9th and 17th so I don't get any breaks ! I'm leaving tomorrow and can't wait.

Search this Thread