Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What part of Ireland to viist? What's difference?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Mary

I just recently got interested in Ireland. I have never traveled out of Texas and are looking into vacationing in Ireland next May/June/July. Which region should I visit? I'm sure you can find beauty throughout Ireland but I am trying to narrow it down to one region. I'm simply looking for beautiful scenenaries. How does each region differ from the rest?? <BR><BR>I'm not sure how big Ireland is so I don't know how long it would take to drive from one end to the other end. Your suggestions/comments will be GREATLY appreciated.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Help

Try posting this again next week when our Irish lovers return from vacation.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Mina

I vote west and southwest (since that's the area I visited)!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
topping

topping post for more opinions

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:13 PM
David D.

Mary,<BR><BR>It's great to hear that you're planning to broaden your horizons. Ireland is a very small country - about the size of Maine - but it's fascinating, both culturally and geographically. Indeed, it has much to offer the traveler.<BR><BR>As regards landscape, it has been said that Ireland is not unlike a bowl, with rather hilly or mountainous coastal regions contrasted by a flat interior. That's not to say Ireland's interior has little to offer (consider the River Shannon and great monastic attractions, like Clonmacnois and Cashel), although the midlands are the least visited by tourists. Most tourists head west, for the drama of Counties Kerry, Galway, and Clare. Counties Mayo and Donegal, on the other hand, offer plenty of visual splendor without the crowds. Amenities, however, are not nearly as extensive as points south.<BR><BR>Perhaps it would be helpful if you were to offer some of your interests. Are you interested in Irish history, attending museums, getting off the beaten path? Also, what type of accommodation interests you? Hotels or B &amp; Bs? Do offer more information. <BR><BR>Until then, be sure to obtain a top-notch guide to Ireland. There are many good ones to be had. I'm particularly fond of the British Rough Guide, but Lonely Planet, Fodor's, and the harder-to-get Footprint guide are all good as well.<BR><BR>Best of luck.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Sniboha

Look into the Donegal...it is far North but beautiful! Glenveagh National Park if amazing. Sligo is another neat place to check out...not as touristy as the southwest. I love the SW but....there is so much more to see.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:53 PM
cd

Type in Ireland at the top of this page and hit the search button. You will find more information than you can handle on this very topic. It will make for some very good reading.