Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What one city/country in Europe do you or would you visit every year, why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In planning my trip to London this April, I have had to keep telling myself there is no need to overload the itinerary because I can always go back again and again. Then, epiphany came to me: I AM going to return to London once a year, every year for the rest of my (ambulatory) life -- resolved!

What about you? Is there a place you return to regularly, or would if you could, and why? Do you go alone, or do you have the same of different travel companion(s) every time?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Greece; Crete; Chania; Paleochora- warm, laid back, lovely people, nice food, great scenery, great culture, totally relaxing.

Been 4 times, with my husband and a friend. Would go and live there tomorrow if I could afford it.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:56 AM

I loved Prague last year when I visited in July. I would like to go back in the winter, as I think it would be enchanting that time of year; and anytime come to think of it! A beautiful city, lovely people and a great atmosphere
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:59 AM

London, and Paris when I can.

But absolutely Scotland. My favorite place and I try to get there every year.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Janis: Lucky you! Scotland would be one of my choices too if I could get to Europe every year.

But my answer is France - I've been there every time I've crossed the pond (but I don't go to Europe every year, unfortunately) because I have always ended up flying Air France (cheapest business class fares now - used to be just how it seemed to work out). I always try to schedule in some sort of layover so I can spend at least a day in Paris.

And if I could visit one city every year (or month!) it would be London.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:09 AM

I visit France very regularly - almost weekly during autumn for work on buying trips, every couple of months the rest of the year for work reasons as well, plus I holiday twice a year there with my fiancée (she's french) once (for a week)with her family in Perpignan and once (for a fortnight)elsewhere.

I also go on fortnightly trips to Italy throughout autumn, again buying for work.

Plus annual trips (long weekends/or not so long if I've used up all my holiday entitlement!) to Prague, Dublin and Amsterdam to see friends/family. And I try to see friends in NYC every year too for a longish weekend but that's more often 2 years out of 3.

So, all in all... I get to do a lot of repeat visits! However - besides CDG which I cordially DETEST - I still get a thrill wherever I am and realise how lucky I am.

Dr D.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:31 AM

I first went to Paris 5 years ago and have since been 4 more times. I have frequently told my friends and husband that I plan to visit Paris once a year for as long as possible. Whether it be a weekend or a week... j'aime Paris!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:29 AM

If I had the means, I would have to say Portugal...but that is mainly because I lived there before. I would love to go once a year and rent out an apt. on the coast, or maybe a room in the house I used to live in that was right on the ocean. The beaches there are great, as are the locals, food, etc.
(I was in the Cascais area)
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Paris, hands down. If I had more than 3 weeks vacation a year, I'd be there much more often. It has just never lost the magic for me in 4 trips over. If I ever had the money, I'd have an apartment there, happily.

I also loved Amalfi Coast and could see spending off-seasons there, but I'm about to go to Florence and Venice, which I think/hope may change my answer to this question!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Sylvia

I go to the Highlands of Scotland for a week every year and to Northern Italy for a fortnight.
Of course, I'm closer than you people.

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Another vote for France.

I adore the language, I enjoy interacting with the people, the food is fantastic even in little inexpensive places and it's a short hop away from London whether we drive to Northern France or Eurostar to Paris...
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Venice. I just love the city and feel very, very comfortable there.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Paris and or Tuscany.
Paris just because it is Paris and Tuscany because the people there seem to have a much better way of life then I do!

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Italy, Italy, Italy! We've been there three times since 1999 and feel that we've barely scratched the surface! Every time we go, our love affair with this wonderful country and its people continues to grow.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:59 PM

For me it is London...seems to be a curio around every corner. I've found that I can return to the same area and still turn up something of a surprise that I'd missed before. Like an onions skin, I think I could spend the rest of my life peeling away the layers of London and never grow bored. There are many other wonderful cities, Paris, NYC, Edinburg, but London to me has a comfortable strangeness that I've never found elsewhere.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:24 PM

London area: Once a month for the past 5 years on Business and to visit a dear friend. The business trips provide the opportunity for long weekends on the continent.

Dublin and the West of Ireland: I'm from Dublin originally, and visit family at least twice a year. I also holiday in Connemara every year - the quietness and tranquility calms my head and revives my spirit.

France: I adore it and spend at least two long weekends per year. In the future, I intend to add at least a week's vacation.

Spain & Italy: I usually manage at least 2-3 long weekends in total, but would like to spend more time - so much to see, so little time.

regards ... Ger
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:32 PM

I went to France almost every year from 1994 to 1999. I went to Rome in 2001 and returned to Italy for a longer and more varied trip the next year. Time and money permitting, I could cheerfully return to both countries every year.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Since I've only been abroad once and that was to Paris in 2001 I will have to say that. This May I will be going to London and back to Paris so I will have more to compare with at that time but I have a feeling it's always going to be Paris that holds a special place in my heart. I only wish I was a rich woman and could go more often. I envy those of you that can go frequently.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM

My husband go to Europe once or twice a year, and it seems that whichever place I have last been is my favorite! Overall, we have visited Venice the most and know it well and never tire of it. I am leaving on a "girlfriend" long weekend to Paris on the 18th, and I am sure it will be my favorite until we get back to Venice later in the summer!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:09 PM

italy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -