Reload this Page >

What - no walking at all?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Patricia

My husband and I leave for England on Apr 5th and have been following the F&M outbreak. The news reports that all public footpaths are closed. Does this mean all across England or only in those areas where there have been outbreaks. Can you still walk along the country roads? We are staying in Hitchin (with sister) and then heading up to York & the Dales for a week. How restricted are we going to be in the Dales? All this said-I completely sympathize with the farmers and in now way want to jeopardize their environment. I just want to get an idea of what we can do so that we can play alternate outings. Thanks.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>If the news reports that all public footpaths are closed then the news is cwrong. In large areas of England and Wales they are closed, but in equally large areas they are not. A map on page 7 of today's London newspaper, the Independent, shows outbreaks in Blakeney, Kent and in southern Essex, but none in Hertfordshire. There are outbreaks at the eastern ends of the North Riding and the West Riding, but none near York. There's detailed list from the BBC on http://uk.news.yahoo.com/010312/79/bbm9u.html/. <BR> <BR>This may change tomorrow or any time. But at present you can walk near Hitchin and York -- and many other places. And if your places fall victim, you can still walk in country lanes, but not on footpaths. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to our footpaths. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Alec

I've just been watching BBC news and there is no abating in the spread of F&M virus. The disease is now spreading into areas hitherto unaffected, like Kent and Somerset. Farmers are really SCARED to death that their livestock will catch it and ALL will have to be destroyed. They are pleading with people not to make inessential visits to the rural areas. <BR>To answer your specific concerns, you can still walk along paved roads, unless they run through affected areas whether there is total ban on movement. Most footpaths are closed, so Yorkshire Dales will be off-limit to hikers. You can walk anywhere in cities (so York should be ok). Nobody knows how long the epidemic will last, but it certainly hasn't reached the peak yet and I guess will be several weeks before the worst is over. I feel sorry for those who've been saving and looking forward to their visit to UK, and to those whose livelihood has been hit like hoteliers, publicans, shopkeepers, abattoir workers as well as farmers, but the whole thing has hit us out of the blue and we can only hope and pray that for the sake of everyone the measures being taken will be successful. And we can do our part.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Bob

Also check the BBC website at new.bbc.co.uk.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:49 AM
rlw

Mr Haines, I think you are giving people false hope. The rural footpaths are closed in many, if not all counties, to PREVENT the spread of the disease to that county. I suggest you check the IPROW site of the Ramblers site for the correct information. The IPROW site has, for example, the closure press releases from the City of York and from Hertsfordshire County Council.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Sheila

The situation is that even where paths are physically and legally open, you are asked not to use them near livestock/deer. If you have been somewhere there is Foot and Mouth or even if you have been somewhere someone else who has been somewhere there is Foot and Mouth you could be responsible for spreading it.<BR><BR>You may walk on roads, tow paths and beaches relatively safely, or in towns. But PLEASE stay away from the countryside.<BR><BR>Even if the spread stops NOW, it will not see the restrictions lifted by 5th April. Sorry

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Jamie

I would think your sister would have the best information on what you can and cannot do near her town.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:29 PM
xxx

If there was a possibility that my vacations plans were to cause harm to the livelihood of good people, I would, voluntarily, change plans. <BR> <BR>hey, but that's just me.... <BR>