Reload this Page >

What makes YOU enter this forum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 10:14 PM
Curious

OK - what's the motivation? To be with similar addicts? To learn about the world? Gain specific information? Something else??????

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Not Curious

Dear Curious: <BR> <BR>This is a fabulous forum -- that's why! The amount of knowledge offered here is incredible. I planned an entire 2 week European vacation mainly from the information I received from other travel enthusiasts on this site. <BR> <BR>Yes, I read the travel books too -- but when you can ask someone's personal opinion &/or recommendation on something -- it's just so much better. <BR> <BR>And yes, my vacation was a ripping success. I'd recommend this forum to anyone. <BR> <BR>--Not Curious

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Linda

To learn from others; to help when I can; and to live vicariously through others' travels. (Love the last bit!)

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Brain Trust

To receive or read about someone else receiving a spanking from [email protected]!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:07 PM
X

Sheer love of antagonism.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Robin

Originally it was to get help-- have you stayed at this hotel, etc. Then one day I saw a question I knew the answer to, and I became hooked on responding as well. The third stage was when I realized that I was just interested in what everyone else was planning or thinking about planning. That's when I knew I had been sucked in!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Bob Brown

I am a nut. <BR>I like to travel. <BR>I like to gab. <BR>I like to laugh. <BR>And I like to learn. <BR>But, above all, I like to think I can help someone take a rewarding trip. <BR>That way, they enjoy their life more. <BR> <BR>I can do all of those things by signing in here. <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:34 PM
dee

Ditto to all of the above. I've become an addict, and must get my daily fix by reading this site, even though most times I don't reply. It brings back memories of my vacation and makes me want to plan the next one as soon as I can!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:44 PM
mimi taylor

dear curious, this is the only site that has daily traffic most of the others are asleep except for the lonely planet which is not to be taken seriously.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:37 PM
StCirq

I like to think someone may be headed for my fairly obscure little corner of France and I can help them navigate it - and then I get sidetracked by all the questions from people asking about other places I've stopped in, and so it becomes a pleasant habit. Learning about other people's lives in different corners of the world interests me, too. I love to read posts from people living in Europe - and those from "experts" in certain aeas. Most of all, I appreciate the willingness to share information, which I think is one of the great, great treats of technology.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:43 PM
curious

Hey, I'm curious too! To answer your question - Because the United States Forum is getting a little boring and uptight lately so I came over here. Seriously though, originally I came, got and gave great travel information and got hooked like many others! Now I have a hard time staying away. I must admit that I love the controversial threads. Who knew their was so much comedic talent out there!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Judy

Hello All, I was like Robin, in the beginning tentatively(almost shyly, yes I was a bit then?) asking questions, then answering some questions when possible, then finally, traveling in spirit with a lot of my fellow Fodorites fascinating journeys. <BR>I like the way Bob sums up his feelings about Fodor's Forum....I can do all these things by signing in here! ME TOO, Bob. Judy <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 07:39 PM
maggie

Me, too. <BR>For all of the reasons cited. <BR>In addition, there is a note of sincerity to the posts. Too often I've been to forums where spamming seems to to be the name of the game. It gets boring-that. <BR>Here, in this forum, a simple question and simple answer. Short and sweet - and nice too! <BR>St. Cirq - I may be heading your way - your spectacular hilltown in the Dordogne, but only on my way to Provence to a wedding. Enjoy your hilltown! If you have any suggestions for a short one night stay near your town, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Curious2

Dear Curious: Sorry! I didn't mean to pinch your name (but at least I didn't say anything nasty and get you slammed!) <BR> <BR>Dear Not Curious: I love the way you use language "ripping success" - WOW! I think I may start using such terms myself as it sounded so good!!!!!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 10:14 PM
Linda

To add a newbie perspective-- <BR>I stumbled on this site a week ago while researching our first trip to Europe. I have not even been to Europe yet, and I'm hooked! The generosity of Fodorites in sharing their knowledge, time and humour has impressed me to no end. One day I hope to contribute as much as I've received from this forum.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Ursula

It helps me not to forget completely about my English, German being my first language. <BR> <BR>Thanks fodorites!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 03:53 AM
s.fowler

To learn, to dream, to help and to laugh.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Mr. Go

Right now, because I'm preparing for a trip. Other times, to hang out with an interesting mix of people. When I'm not here, I'm Mr. MidFi at the Audio Review general discussion forum.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Art

Because the devil makes me do it!!!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:27 AM
StCirq

Maggie: <BR> <BR>I'm not in St-Cirq-Lapopie, if that's what you're thinking (as most people would), though my own St-Cirq is on a lovely hill as well. The prevailing wisdom regarding St-Cirq-Lapopie is that La Pelissaria is the best place to stay, although we didn't think much of it when we were there. I found it overpriced and the owners surly. They wouldn't even serve us a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning "because the restaurant is closed Sundays." In fact, that town will stand out in my mind forever as being the only place I have ever been in Europe where civilization was evident that had no place serving coffee on a Sunday morning. Nonethless, the geography is really quite stunning, and it's a worthwhile destination for that alone. Sorry I can't recommend an alternative, though I'm sure someone else can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -