What kind of souvenirs to buy in Paris, Biaritz, and St. Jean de Luz

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of souvenirs would be good to buy from these three places?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM

My approach to souvenirs is to see what reminds me of the places I have been when I am there. Deciding ahead always seems beside the point. But that I guess is just me since people often ask this question.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM

I love French pottery and there are some excellent hand made jewelry stores with unusual pieces at good prices. Any kind of hard to find food items always make it into my bag. Fleur de sel, truffle paste, bouillon cubes, don't laugh the French ones are far superior, different spices. All my friends are foodies and love those kind of things
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM

I won't touch Paris here, but in the latter two places if you want food-related items, you should look for:

Piment d'Espelette, red pepper from in and around the town of Espelette in the Pays Basque. Very expensive in the US, it is available in powder form as well as in Puree (I use with eggs) and added to mustard.

http://www.zingermans.com/product.aspx?productid=p-dpl

You will also find Foie Gras from the nearby Landes region and the famous ham from Bayonne.

There are many wonderful sheep cheeses.

Basque linens are famous and quite handsome. Expensive.

http://www.french-brand.com/table-linen/moutet/

Espadrilles are a great buy and you will find many shops selling these in the last two towns.

I agree that Fleur de Sel is a good buy anywhere in France. Supermarkets often have the best prices.

Those are just a few ideas..
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM

After many trips, I now buy myself items I can use. Tea towels, jelly, soaps, etc. When I use them it reminds me of
wonderful times.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM

I usually try to find a charm for my bracelet so of course I have an Eiffle Tower. I buy mustards and salts. I got some seasoned salt for my brother and SIL at Bon Marche and he was in tears when he finally used it all up. LOL I've bought chocolate too. I've also gotten lotions and potions and perfume. The perfume is not a "deal" by any means, but it's always fun for me to find something in Paris that isn't for sale here, although in time, it can be for sale here. I bought J'adore my first trip in 1999 and about a year later it was at Macy's, so no guarantees. I love it, so I'm fine that I can get it here.

I always get a really special scarf and sometimes less expensive ones. The selections are just vast.

I have bought charcoal drawings and a painting in Monmartre that I love. I got some small reproduction advertising posters and had them all framed and hung them in my guest room when I redid it a few years ago.

If something strikes my fancy, if it's affordable, packable, reminds me of Paris, I buy it.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Just wondering if something is too big to carry, do they ship overseas to US? I also understand that you can no longer carry wine on board as I previously had. What do most people do? Please advise.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had good luck packing wine in my checked luggage, wrapped in clothes.

I second the suggestion of Basque linens in Biarritz and St. Jean de Luz. For lots of information about the shopping in those cities as well as the sights, a wonderful source is www.maribelsguides.com to download the guide to the Pays Basque.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM

If you take the trouble to bring back wine or spirits, you might want to think about the ones typical of the region; look, for example, for the Poire William from Brana, a very well respected producer in the Pays Basque. Or one of the local wines, like Iroleguy.

One of my favorite food items from that area is the scrumptious cake known as Gateau Basque. Be sure to sample when you are there!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM

Oh yes, and chocolate.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Nikki and ekscrunchy, Great ideas on the wine, cake and linens!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Paris, If you like mustard, go to Maille, buy their decorative crock and any time you return they will refill it.
The Les Halles metro stop has a boutique where you can purchase items promoting their goods. I bought boxer shorts, the fabric had the map of the metro, They like my other b oxers are my asummer pjs
Detau is a shop you should not miss if you cook or looking for things like my violet mustaed
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:29 AM

Oh, yes, how could I forget the Basque chocolate. Bayonne, especially, has been a chocolate center since the 15th Century (chocolate making arrived with Jewish refugees that had been expelled from Portugal). You will find Basque chocolates in shops in both of your destinations--look, especially, for the chocolate studded with the local Piment d'Espelette.

Two of the best known choclatiers are Cazenave and Darantz.

Another popular souvenir would be a Basque walking stick, known as "makila."

There is some information on shopping in this thread, which I began before my last trip to that area; I stayed in Bayonne so there is much info about that city, but also some on Biarritz and the general area (see Maribel's posts below; she is a true font of information)

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-questions.cfm

I would do a search here for threads discussing what to buy in Paris. This subject is so vast that it is difficult to give meaningful responses without knowing more about your tastes.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow! What great information. Thanks cigalechata ekscrunchy, I will take that valuable information. Now another question, just read about pickpocketing in europe in the large cities, especially Barcelona. Any helpful hints?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi mom,

From Paris, you must bring home a 6" high plastic Eiffel tower that blinks on and off.

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM

I bought a lot of stuff to bring back home at La Grande Epicerie. Great chocolates, candies and even some Tassimo discs for my coffee machine (different ones than in Canada).

Since you can't make it to every single specialty shop in Paris in just a week, I found it handy that they had food from Fauchon, Angelina's, etc.
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic! Thanks Ruby and Ira! Any ideas for Barcelona, Biarritz, Toulouse, or Lourdes ANYONE?
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:16 PM

I like to buy paintings or watercolor which reminde me of where i have been.
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM

I gave you ideas for Biarritz above.

For Barcelona, and the rest of Spain, you might be interested in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...from-spain.cfm
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:10 PM

In Toulouse there is a store called La Fleurée de Pastel, at 20, rue de la Bourse. They sell things dyed with woad, the blue dye that made Toulouse rich in the fifteenth century.

Their website:

http://www.bleu-de-lectoure.com/site...2&lang=english

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -