Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What items do you carry with you on a day of touring?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:35 AM
lent

Hi, everyone! My parents, sister and I (all adults) will be going to England/Wales in August. I am trying to decide what, if any, kind of pack to carry with me all day. (I'll already have an around the neck pocket for passport, etc.) I had an urge to try to take so many things: aspirin, water bottle, rain coat, guide book, maps, gum, snacks, the kitchen sink, etc. But as I was gazing at the bags in Wal Mart, I realized that I would just as soon travel much lighter. What do you carry with you? In England do you carry a rain coat every day even if it starts out sunny? Any hands-off way to carry it (I suppose I could put it on! ) Do you carry a water bottle? Can you buy a water for close to average price? <BR> <BR>Not a desparate situation, but I am interested in what you all do. Thanks!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Jane

When in England ALWAYS carry an umbrella! (even if it seems like a sunny day) - just put it in the bag you use during the day. You can get everything else on your list here.(especially the kitchen sink)

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:32 AM
herself

Last year, I discoved the best bag ever. It's a light weight microfiber teardrop shape bag with a zillion pockets in it. A place for everything, all zipped up and secure. I carry, my passport, sunglasses, LLBean knife, wallet, camera, extra film, maps, travel book, waterbottle, raincoat, hat, makeup, etc. and it is comfortable. I got mine at www.travelsmith.com Item #1324. Cost is about $69.00 Well worth it. Regular bags are too heavy, backpack can be uncomfortable. Plus they were not allowed in some stores in London.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Julie

Hidee Lent...My husband and I went to London last July. It was hot there, and we never needed an umbrella..even tho we came prepared. They have tiny ones to keep with you. The best thing we had was our backpack that kept everything we needed. We did walk a lot, so water was great to have..again...it was hot!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:50 AM
elvira

Map <BR>My printed out itinerary or pertinent pages of guidebook <BR>3 or 4 bandaids/blister patches/moleskin <BR>Swiss Army knife <BR>Umbrella or $.99 plastic poncho <BR>pocket-packs of Kleenex (it is NOT for your nose) <BR>waterless antibacterial soap (teeny size) <BR>antibacterial hand wipes (not just for hands anymore) - maybe 6 packets (the kind you get at ribs places or with a lobster meal) <BR>half dozen hard candies (or a roll of Lifesavers)for tickle coughs <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Lisa

It's likely you'll need a jacket, so I just always take one with big pockets. A barn jacket works well, particularly one with an inner pocket that zips for your more important things. <BR> <BR>An umbrella is key. Just get one of those little collaspable onces that will fit in your giant pocket! <BR> <BR>You can find gum, water, snacks, etc. for a reasonable price most anywhere. Just don't expect the water to be ice cold. <BR> <BR>Elvira, please stop using those antibacterial products. They're helping to produce super bugs, and my chemist friend tells me that antibacterial soaps and wipes can actually INCREASE the bacteria on whatever it is you've wiped!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:58 AM
KT

What to carry depends partly upon whether you'll be walking around in towns and cities or in the countryside. In the towns, bottled water, aspirin, snacks, etc., are all simple to find when needed. <BR> <BR>Re guidebooks: consider either photocopying pages for the places you want to go before leaving home or, especially if you're not sure in advance where you'll be going, being willing to tear pages out of a book as you go. I normally think it's sacrilege to destroy books, but carrying around a big guidebook when you only need a few pages can get pretty annoying if you're spending a lot of time on your feet. <BR> <BR>One thing that might not occur to you, given your destinations, is sunscreen. But weather in Britain is very changeable and, believe it or not, you can definitely get a sunburn there. (I just got a very red face in Scotland one day and was in fog and rain the next.) Rather than carrying the whole container while I'm out walking, I keep some in one of those very small plastic bottles you can get at camping stores and some drug stores. <BR> <BR>Re the kitchen sink: In Britain, there are separate taps for hot and cold water, so if you want a sink with a single tap, you should definitely carry one with you. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 01:13 PM
Lori

Unless you are going to be off in the wilds someplace everything you could possibly need is readily available in most stores and/or pharmacies. Don't load yourself down too much. We always have 2 tiny foldup umbrellas with us and some kleenix packages - that's about it. I always Xerox the pages from the guide books on the places we're interested in so that takes up very little room. Do take a map tho! In my purse I always have some Certs/Tic Tacs & a couple of Shout Wipes - they are marvelous if you end up with a spot on your clothes & don't want to go around looking messy. Even umbrellas are readily available everyplace in England but it's handy to have one in case you are caught in a downpour. Don't load yourself down, it is not much fun to go around like a pack mule. I've seen people so loaded down they can barely move about - that's dumb - if worst comes to worst pop into a store and buy something. It's more fun then dragging it from home and around with you.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 02:25 PM
lent

I knew you all would come through with great ideas! Great idea to make the jacket work for you even if it's not on. I can put the kleenex packs that aren't just for my nose in the pockets along with the map, etc. If only I could get it to float along beside me so I wouldn't have to carry it. Yes, I understand, I can also get a compact umbrella instead of lugging the slicker. It's very lightweight, so I'll keep it. I'm afraid my pants pockets aren't too helpful. Any other ideas will be eagerly devoured. Thanks!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Al

So glad you asked. We carry a small, Ziploc plastic bag inside my shoulder bag (nylon fabric with zippers and a wide shoulder strap) that contains: Band-Aids (rolled in a 35mm film container), a second film container holding Imodium-AD,Pepcid,and aspirin. For scrapes, we also carry some iodine. <BR> <BR>Yes, the Kleenex can become essential. <BR>Camera with 2 extra rolls of film. Map, guidebook, pages cut from fatter guidebooks. Pen and notebook. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 05:51 PM
stacey

Lisa - I'm so glad someone finally brought up the subject of the anti-bacterial wipes (and gels) I've seen a bunch of articles lately (of course, I can't find any of them now to quote) stating how bad these are now. There have also been several news shows on the subject. These wipes and gels are causing lots of problems, as you said, creating supergerms that are becoming stronger and more immune. I'd love to know if anyone has any concrete information.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Paul

<BR>I don't have any concrete evidence - but it sounds like hogwash to me. Are you sure you're not confusing antibacterials with antibiotics? I just don't think something that kills superficial germs could be that harmful; if that's the case it seems there would have been some horrific outbeak decades ago from using bleach, rubbing alcohol, Windex or even boiling water. That's my take -- any doctors out there with views?

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Donna

A tote bag is a must for me. Blessedly, my husband carries this around without complaint. He was thrilled to finally open those umbrellas for five minutes on our tenth (and final) day in Paris. I always have at least one tour guide, maps, bottle of water, umbrellas, maybe another pair of shoes, sweater, etc. The microfiber totes are awesome, especially those with straps long enough to place over a shoulder. Optimal size is about 12x12, I think. Or a little larger if you have more essentials. L. L. Bean, and other sources, have raincoats that fold up into a "self-pouch". They don't emerge exactly totally wrinkle free, but nice enough, and do the job without lugging it over your arm when not needed.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:02 PM
tom

<BR>Paul - <BR> <BR>the "antibacterial soap" problem is most definitely NOT "hogwash"; there have been 1 or 2 articles in Scientific American about it, for exmpl. Similar effect to bacteria strains that evolve that are resistant to antibiotics. Crudely speaking, "that which does not kill them, makes them stronger". <BR> <BR>not to get all paranoid about it ... my recollection is that anti-bacterials should not be used "routinely", day in, day out, in an institional setting. In time that DOES lead to bacteria that, thru natural selection, are resistant. For casual consumer use it shouldn't be a problem, but it's more "responsible" to use anti-bacterial agents only when there is a high risk of germs being present. A normal person's immune system takes care of most ordinary bacteria.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Cindy

Like Paul, I think I need more convincing. If using the same antibacterial soap again and again can cause resistance, wouldn't all bacteria be resistant to ordinary handwashing by now? And wouldn't all of the bacteria become resistant to the scrubbing-in procedure surgeons use? And if the immune system takes care of ordinary bacteria, why all this fuss about the importance of handwashing? Have I been "brainwashed"? Should have paid attention in biology class.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 03:50 AM
Monica

Here’s what I take in my tote bag (and yes, my husband, like Donna’s, does carry it): <BR> <BR>-Map <BR>-City guidebook (which is small) or copied pages from a guidebook <BR>-Journal/pen/small spiral notebook, which contains various information <BR>-Packet of kleenex <BR>-Small water bottle that I purchase and later fill at the hotel <BR>-My super light tote umbrella (unless I know the weather report for the day) <BR>-Camera, couple rolls of film <BR>-2 sets plastic utensils for picnics or snacks along the way <BR>-Wet naps <BR>-Eye solution (I wear contact lenses) <BR>-Copy of our passports <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 03:56 AM
Monica

Let me add one more item: <BR> <BR>-travel language book. I usually purchase one by Barron's.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 04:17 AM
Mary Ann

Yes most of the items mentioned above can be purchased, but we still carry them. The reasons are: <BR>1. Every time we did not take an umbrella and bought one it is usually not compact and you accumulate umbrellas. <BR>2. When you need a band aid/aspirin, medicine, why waste time tracking it down. They really take up so little room. <BR>3. Kleenex is essential for all the reasons mentioned above. <BR>4. Shout spots have not been mentioned, and I know there are pros and cons, but they can be really helpful getting out that red wine out of the sweater deep in a wine cave. <BR>5. Sunscreen, sunglasses, maps, books (or extracts) are necessities. <BR>6. If you are planning for walks the picnic fork/knife combos are helpful along with a pocket knife (swiss army) with a cork screw. <BR>7. Camera and film, and since we do not have a APS camera, a disposable panoramic. <BR>8. Small key chain size compass, for when you cannot agree which way is North!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Maira

NOTE TO HERSELF: I went to the travelsmith site. The bag is not $69.00, but $199.00! Are you sure of the item #? Thanks for the suggestion.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Anna

Here is what I usually carry in my day pack: <BR>Bottle of Water <BR>Kleenex <BR>Ibuprofen (just a few in a pill box) <BR>Sun glasses <BR>Camera/film <BR>Guidebook(s) <BR>Map <BR>Optional depending on the weather: <BR>Umbrella <BR>Light jacket or sweater

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -