Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite hotel in Scotland and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:29 AM
Laura

Just visited the U.S. forum and there is a similar thread. Linda posted there and said that Dalhousie Castle near Edinburough is hers. I went to the website <BR> <BR>http://www.dalhousiecastle.co.uk/welcome.htm <BR> <BR>and looked at the Dungeon restaurant and was hooked! I know I will go and stay in this castle next trip to Scotland. <BR> <BR>Do any of you have a favorite hotel in Scotland? <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Lee

In Scotland, my absolute favorite castle <BR>is Skibo Castle which is located in Dornach just north of Inverness. It's Andrew Carnegie's former home and still <BR>has alot of his personal possessions and <BR>furnishings. It's also the place where Madonna had her wedding reception. It's spectacular ! When I was there, Stephen Sondheim was also staying there.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Tom

Dalhousie Resort in Edinburgh <BR> <BR>For the following reasons: <BR> <BR>1. Attractive and beautiful setting <BR>2. Magnificent service <BR>3. It's a Marriott, and we stayed five nights for free with our Marriott points <BR>4. We stayed there on our 25th wedding anniversary. <BR> <BR>Tom

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:26 AM
janis

Cameron House on Loch Lomond. Not as utterly exclusive as Skibo - but terrific location - and I once saw Sean Connery there. <BR> <BR>Also Traquair House - it isn't actually a hotel - they only let out two rooms - but it is the longest continuously inhabited house in Scotland and you can "feel" the history all around you. You feel like a personal guest in this large manor house. (plus they brew their own ale)

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Paul

One Devonshire Gardens - Glasgow. Best by far; simply quite amazing.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:51 PM
kathy

We were in Scotland in May and stayed in 2 hotels. The Uplawmoor, www.uplawmoor.co.uk/area.htm, outside of Glasgow, and the Johnstounburn House, http://www.johnstounburnhouse-hotel-...edinburgh.com/, outside of Edinburgh. Both were great, but I **loved** the Johnstounburn House. It is an old manor house, built in 1625. It has been a hotel since 1986 with 11 rooms in the main house and 9 rooms in the coach house. The house could use a touch of paint, but it is absolutely charming. The rooms in the coach house are newer and a little more modern. What made the Johnstounburn house so special was the staff. They really love the house and made us feel welcome and right at home. The chef is fantastic and I had two of the best meals I have ever eaten in the restaurant. Expensive, but worth it! <BR> <BR>You can also look at our vacation photos at www.iconnect.net/home/rsumners <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:48 AM
xxx

Altnaharrie Inn in Ullapool is pretty much unique, although the prices are astonishing.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:30 AM
jeri

The hotel I enjoyed the most in Scotland was Castle Delgatie in Turiff(sp?). This is in castle country northwest of Aberdeen. You stay in a real castle from the Middle Ages- not overlooking one or in an addition. The couple that rents it out are lovely and glad to tell you all about its history. I thought the price quite reasonable - 60 pounds for a three bedroom apartment. It is beautifully furnished and could sleep 6 easily. They also have some pet Shetland ponies in the yard which my kids really enjoyed. (All right - I was the one who bought a bag of apples to feed them.) <BR> <BR>You can check out their web site at http://www.delgatiecastle.com/ <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:56 AM
annie

Gleneagles is by far and away the best hotel in Scotland. Check the website gleneagles.com for all details. The ultimate in luxury. Expensive, but if it is only once.. a must

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Tom

Sorry, my bad...it was the Dalmahoy in Edinburgh! <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>TBH

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Ellie

Kinnaird and Inverlochy Castle run neck and neck for sheer comfort, setting and service. Traquair House, mentioned above, an unforgettable peek at history.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:53 PM
stu

I'd say the Crinan Hotel on the west coast. Fantastic location (next to Crinan Canal) and probably best seafood in Scotland, amazing place.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:49 AM
Sheila

Well, I haven't stayed in them all..... <BR> <BR>For me it must be the mixture of location and style and top dog luxury ain't my style. <BR> <BR>Of the ones mentioned so far, the only two I'd bother about are the Altnaharrie and the Crinan; but I'd put Eilean Iarmain (Isle Oransay) on Skye in the same league. Maybe the Port Charlotte on Islay?. <BR> <BR>I've been wondering about this question vis a vis tourists recently and may start a different thread on the differing priorities that you (Americans) have.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Dr. Betty

The Ardsheal House on Loch Linnhe... drive 2 miles in from the road through ancient forest, arive at this spectacular estate to be welcomed by a roaring fire in the sitting room and the best hosts in all of Scotland, feast on the elegant breakfast in the morning and after a day of touring the highlands, return for a sumptuous meal prepared with fresh produce from the garden and meats and fish delivered daily. You need not go any further. www.ardsheal.co.uk

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Pete

I too have stayed at Crinan and thought it was great, fantastic scenery and location, especially looking over sound of Jura. Great food and service, fun boat trip out to sea!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:46 AM
dave

Stayed in Taychreggan, solitude, great food, great views!