Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite beer to drink in London ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Sandy

What is the difference between bitters and lager? I usually drink a light beer. We will be in London and was curious what to order.<BR>I prefer to order a 1/2 pint but I am not sure what to start with.<BR>Sandy

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Karen

Hi Sandy,<BR><BR>I'm in the same boat as you. I'm leaving next week, and I generally drink light beer. I have been told to order lager. Lager is the lighter kind of beer, and is served cold. Bitter is in between - heavier than what us light beer drinkers will like, it is also served warm. Stout is the thick, dark stuff, like Guiness. <BR><BR>Also, if you are desparate, I hear that pubs do serve Budweiser or something similar if you don't like anything else.<BR><BR>So, start with a 1/2 pint of lager, see if you like it, and go from there! <BR><BR>Happy travels,<BR>Karen

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Karen

Sandy,<BR><BR>I found this on the Samuel Adams Beer website, also: <BR><BR>Ale - made with a top fermenting yeast, ales are described as &quot;hearty, robust, and fruity.&quot; <BR>Bitter - a mainstay in English pubs, this golden-brown draft ale is top-fermented, hoppy, dry, and lightly carbonated. <BR>Lager - made with a bottom fermenting yeast, lagers are characteristically &quot;smooth, elegant, crisp, and clean.&quot; Comparable to pilsener. <BR>Stout - typically dark, heavy, and richly flavored, stout is &quot;top-fermented beer made from pale malt, roasted unmalted barley, and often caramel malt.&quot; <BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:36 AM
beer

Girs, you definitely want Lager-I like Stella Artois but if you order lager you can't go wrong.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Erin

Hi Sandy and Karen-<BR>This is a great question! I love beer and like many different kinds, although I do have a tough time drinking the stouts. Anyway, the first time I was in London I just went to the bar and asked the bartender to suggest a beer to me. He suggested the Stella lager that Beer Drinker suggested. Its fantastic, and I've never tried anything else b/c I like it so much. Its been a few years, but if memory serves, its a reddish color, and very very smooth. The interesting thing about it is that its also sort of creamy. Its heavier than the traditional light beer we are used to, but I think you'll like it. Its wonderful- I'll be in London the end of Feb. and I can't wait to get a pint. The hardest thing to get used to is that all drinks in the pubs are served semi-cold, not ice cold like we normally like our beer in the States.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:00 AM
kate

Guinness (stout ,I believe)

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:05 AM
trying

You are traveling, please break out of your shell a little. Before going to London, I had heard of the warm, flat beer. What could be less appetizing? But I tried the bitter and found (some) delightful! I enjoyed London Pride and a few other brands. That said, I like to try different beer, anyway.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Nick

I have never had a reddish Stella nor do its TV adverts show is as anything other than basic golden lager colour. Stella's OK as a fairly standard lager. So many lagers on tap are now mass produced they often pretty similar. I prefer Weiss Beers - typically Munich ones like Franziskaner or Erdinger, but in London you see a Swiss one called Schofferhoffer, which is OK. The average London pub now has a lot of bottled lagers from all over the place - Belgium (Stella, except on tap - UK bottled), Czech Budweiser, US Budweiser (produced UK and not so weak tasting as US one); Victoria Bitter (Australia), Tsing Tao (China, which I quite like) etc etc. Carling on tap is probably the biggest home label still.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Ryan

Instead of beer, you might want to try a pint (or 1/2) of cider. It is fermented apple juice and might be more appealing to you than some of the beers. Most pubs will have it fresh from the barrel.<BR><BR>In terms of brands, Boddington's makes a nice beer. I'd avoid any beers that are stouts or bitters as they will likely be to heavy for your taste. You might ask the bartender if they carry any &quot;mild ales&quot; as these tend to be &quot;lighter&quot; than ales or &quot;Real Ales.&quot;

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:44 AM
ron

Sandy, I too think you should be a little adventuresome and try an English bitter or ale on handpump. A half pint will cost you &pound;1.25 or less, so what's the loss?. The two London breweries are Fuller's and Young's. Either Fuller's London Pride or Young's Bitter would be good starters. Or just trust the the judgment of the bartender.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:01 AM
xxx

Going to England without drinking the local beer should be a criminal act, particularly if you ordered a Budweiser instead. The English have so little to offer in the way of food and drink you must have fish and chips with a Boddington (or something similar)!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Sandy

Thanks for your many replies. I definitely will try the local drinks, that is one of the reasons for this post, I always like to adapt to the local culture, I will have a toast to all for your helpful ideas. Cheers !!!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Iain

Sandy, why just stop at London. Hop on a train west from Paddington station to Cardiff, capital of Wales and enjoy some real hospitality and a pint of Brains SA [skull attack] or Brains Dark. Its only 2 hours by train and Cardiff has more to offer than London and the people are friendlier too!!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Matt

<BR>Sandy,<BR>All great suggestions above, but I'd also recommend that you try the cider. Very dry and refreshing, especially after a sweaty day walking about London or the countryside. Also try a 'Scrumpy' if you can, which is an even more potent version of cider usually sold in farmhouses and pubs.<BR><BR>Cheers !

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:00 AM
ron

While I won't comment on Iain's comparison of Cardiff and London, if you do get to Wales, the beer you want to try is Felinfoel's Double Dragon, the self-styled &quot;National Ale of Wales&quot;.<BR><BR>Also, as part of the response to the general question, it is probably worth pointing out that bitters, although they are much more flavourful, have a lower alcoholic content than lagers.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Cheers

Interesting ttt

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Nigel Doran

Stay away from Carlsberg, and Harp. These are very low-end, even though they are drunk by many.<BR>Boddington's is a bitter, but is surprisingly not that bitter. It is never really served warm, but it is not as cold as the lagers. <BR>A pint is bigger than a US pint (560 ml) If. it comes with too much 'head' (froth) you can always ask for it to be 'topped up a bit'. Noone will sniff at you for this. It's a done thing over here. <BR>Fuller's is good too. <BR>Bottled beers are a rip off, in my opinion. Just over half a pint for about the same price as a pint. It's all to do with posing. A pint in a glass is the way to go. <BR>Just go to the bar, ask for what you want, and don't tip! Really. Noone tips, unless they have a really close relationship with the barstaff (eg. if they've been going to the same place for years and everyone knows each other.) <BR>Pubs and bars are often very busy. One of you should try to bag a table/seat while the other goes to the bar. Obv. be careful about not spilling stuff!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Heather

Sandy, I was in London last year, and fell in love with Strongbow Cider. I normally drink Mich Light here, but was encouraged by a publican to try the cider -- what a delight. Here in the US, I still prefer the Strongbow, but it is a bit difficult to find here in Georgia. Try a cider -- very refreshing after a day of touring!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Linda

I also recommend trying local beers while you're there. &quot;Pint of best bitter&quot; has always worked pretty well for me. I'm partial to Theakston brews, particularly Old Peculier, but that's far from a light beer.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Skippy

<BR><BR>Hail Ale, India Pale!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -