Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your approach to answering a post?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I see so detailed an answer to a question that I can't believe the responder had the answer in her head but must have done considerable research.

There was one recently where the OP was staying in Covent Garden and wanted to know what was handy. The responder gave such a detailed response, "turn left after leaving the hotel, take 9 steps to the curb, then step down to street level before hopping on left leg over sleeping dog, being careful not to land in poop, etc." Obviously an exaggeration but you get what I mean.

Ben Haines is a fine example of a poster who has accumulated much valuable information on his own and from others that he can call up and provide almost instantly.

When responding I will sometimes refer to my at hand bookshelf or to google to verify what I can't remember. If it leads to a particularly interesting website I'll reference it. I do review the previous answers before adding my own.

What is your approach?
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:40 AM

I usually answer just from what I know w/o any "research".

Sometimes when someone asks about a London B&B/hotel I haven't visited, I will look up the location in my A to Z to.

The very detailed posts like the ones from flanneruk and Ben H. - since I don't live there any more I can't really answer in "turn right at the bldg w/ the red door" detail.

I think if I was living there and out and about everyday I could do more of that.

And I do keep a file w/ rental agencies for London flats. So on those type of threads I do copy/paste.
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:47 AM

From memory...I do it my way!
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Mostly from memory.
Sometimes I will look up an address of a restaurant or shop, from my notes, if I feel that I should include it.
I am usually pleased that I actually have enough memory left, to be more detailed with some of my responses. But then, the details of every day life, are usually not worth remembering, as a couple of weeks in Paris, etc.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Through my own research for my trips, I've collected a substantial number of web links, so I'll cut and paste those into a post if I think it will be helpful. I'd post more of them if the Fodors format made it easier (like on AOL - you can just drag and drop links into your post and they show up as hyperlinks.) Fodor's format isn't as user-friendly - you actually have to know some html to do simple things like <b>bold</b> or <i>italics</i>.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Sometimes I know the answer from experience, but often I do research (mostly via Google) because I'm also interested in what the OP wants to know...
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mostly from my own experiences, memory, and opinions. Secondly from file folders I keep with information from previous trips. Once in awhile I'll pull out a guidebook and look up the answer for a specific question. I rarely do internet seaches, figuring people can do that themselves.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Sometimes I too answer from memory, but I do reference my &quot;favorites&quot; for specific answers or websites I have collected. Also use my albums of former trips, where I keep not only photos I have taken, but also odds and ends I pick up while traveling, as well as my journal notes. Usually have hotel, restaurant, etc. info in them.

I have recently compiled a page of websites for both Prague and Budapest, as well as some other info on both cities which I'm sharing through my e-mail. May expand that to other favorite cities if I ever get around to it.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM

My approach: I usually try to belittle the person asking the question and then suggest I am far superior due to my travel experience, social circles and wealth. just kidding, of course!
I give the best shot about what I know in my head (or think I know). I've made a conscious effort to NOT respond where I can't add anything new (oops, this post excepted!).
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:40 AM

I answer from what I think I know but double-check for the latest info, on the web, or on the ground if it's somewhere I would be going to anyway. But I'm getting rather worried about whether my memory is all that reliable!
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM

First, I tend to answer questions that I have more recent information about. For example, many years ago we spent a lot of time on many of the Greek islands, but I'm afraid that most of my information wouldn't be current, so I don't answer those questions. I also don't answer those questions that already have great answers that I could add little to.

I keep a diary from every trip and when I'm trying to remember a particular pub or experience I double-check my (failing) memory. I have a large driving atlas of Britain that is very detailed and will also refer to it if needed. I usually only use 'Google' to find a site that may be helpful, not to research my answer.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM
LJ

I have favourite places that I will try to respond with more detail, especially if they are lesser known delights of places I know well, e.g.Puglia in Italy, West Coast of Scotland and Newfoundland in Canada.I have lots of filed resources and love to share. Otherwise, I like to get into some of the more conversational threads, travelling with kids, teens, parents, opinions on food, language...this sort of dialogue can be helpful as I have discovered as a recipient of info on travelling with the elderly.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:32 AM

I have long travel files stored on my desk top,so I don't have to overtax my forgetful brain, I can find a lot of information that I've already compiled by consulting my own files.
Sometimes if I have no idea, but I'm interested, I'll Google the topic, or do a search right here for past references.
I do try to distinguish, when posting, between things I know from personal experience, and things I've just read or heard about. A lot of the value around here is that we get the personal, yes, subjective, aspect of the information,in that way we are more valuable than Google.
Sometimes I read postings here that seem to be reiterations or reproductions of facts found elsewhere, but they are presented as first-hand knowledge. I disagree with that if it is not made explicit.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Mostly from experience and memory. I have files on different countries into which I toss restaurant and hotel business cards, local maps, etc, and I will look something up in those if I want to give an exact address or telephone. I also have some information on my computer in country files and will refer to that.

I only google if I'm interested in the question myself. And I only drag out my Italian Touring Club map if I'm in an especially generous mood. Someone else usually supplies the exact route numbers anyway.

I am sometimes conflicted about offering information when I realize it has been a while since I was in that country. Gee, it seems like it was just a few years ago, but when I stop to figure it out, it's been 10 years! So I try to qualify my info by saying that it's not absolutely current. It's interesting to me how often someone posts current info that is no different from what I would have said.

I'm also wary of posting second-hand experience, although it can be useful at times. I always specify if that's the case.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Marilyn
I know what you mean about time passing between trips, but some things don't change.

The Ste Chapelle doesn't move to a different location, the Colosseum was still built on the site of Nero's lake.
Hours and days of operation, transit routes (sometimes), costs, restaurants opening and closing, museums closing for renovations,those things change. But they can change this week even if your trip was just last week, even if the guidebook was just published today.

The history doesn't change, the locations don't (usually) change, and how to walk from point A to point B doesn't often change. And whether or not you thought X was beautiful, at that time, doesn't change.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:56 AM

When I post a response, I normally sit down at my computer, position myself comfortably at the keyboard, crack my knuckles and shake my wrists to make sure I am limber and loose, take a deep breath, place my hands upon the keys and proceed to type.

How does everybody else do it?
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM

that, too

Old May 6th, 2005, 10:04 AM

gravysandwich, really? I use my toes.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The easy questions are ones asking for your opinion, no facts necessary to answer these!
Is my itinerary reasonable?
What size suitcase should I bring?
Can I wear shorts in Rome?
Are waiters in Paris rude?
What should I do on a rainy day?
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:26 AM

suze,
ah yes, opinions are plentiful around here. They are easy to express, easy to generate flame wars too, unfortunately. For some reason, someone saying they agree or disagree with wearing shorts, or tipping the waiter, can turn into a nasty fight as if it's a matter of 'wrong' vs 'right' instead of 'opinion' vs 'opinion'. And the OP presumably wants a variety, or a survey, of opinions, or they wouldn't be asking here in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -