What is Westward Ho like? Croyde?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a self catering at the ocean in North Devon, and most of what I can find are apartments in Westward Ho.

Is this a total tourist town? Are there nice places to eat or will I feel like we are in Ocean City New Jersey?

Is Croyde nice?

Help!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Can't tell you much about Westward Ho from personal experience but we spent a week at Croyde last summer.

The beach there is large, and it's a long way to walk when the tide goes out! It is a really great surfing beach which my boys love. We did days out to the mountainboarding centre on the other side of Barnstaple on the Bude road. We went down to Bude because we like it there as well having holidayed there for many summers. The small town of Braunton is nice for an afternoon, and the big pub by the main junction does a great Thai lunch for a few pounds. We also like Woolacombe Bay and the little village of Mortehoe - do try to get there for a wonderful seafood lunch, or just to buy fresh seafood here...

http://www.mortehoeshellfish.co.uk/

You don't say when you are thinking of going but from mid-July and throughout August it is very busy and with a lot of tourists.

Have you looked here...

http://www.croydedevon.co.uk/

We did it on a real budget and stayed in a large caravan at the Ruda Holiday Park which is right by the beach so no struggling in and out of wetsuits and filling the car with sand! The boys were just able to run back to the caravan and get straight in the shower! In Croyde we had a very nice meal at the Blue Groove one evening, and another time we ordered an Indian takeaway from Braunton. We had lunches out at Mortehoe and in Braunton, and the rest of the time I cooked for us.

So sorry I can't help about WH, but I can and DO recommend Croyde. Some great walks around the headland as well from there.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Another vote for Woolacombe. It is breathtakingly beautiful. I am sure that there are self-catering apartments in town.

You may read my trip report on North Devon:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...of-england.cfm
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

We're going in early October, no kids just adults, no surfing etc. We want to do some Coastal Path walks, quaint villages, gardens, scenery etc. Sit on a balcony and listen to the ocean when we have our coffee .....or wine!

I did find some places in Woolacombe, maybe I'll check that out further.

Bookmarked Mortehoe Shellfish ~ YUM!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM

it's been a while so please do excuse any inaccuracies.

croyde is a pretty nice village. it's not very quaint, however. as others have said, it is a surfer and family kind of place (probably pretty quiet in oct though). the pubs are pretty lively and there are a fair amount of young people (again, not sure about oct). the beach is also a walk from the village, therefore, i'm not sure how the part about sitting on the balcony and drinking wine or coffee will work. i don't remember a lot of places to stay right on the ocean (although i might be wrong). there is a pretty wide park land type of area between the village and the beach...maybe 15 min walk if i remember right. i do remember a holiday park closer to the water though.

woolacombe is even more of a family type of beach. i walked there from croyde and just remember a lot of typical beach type of places...ice cream, etc. perhaps there is a village.

the area has some very nice walks. for example, get a map and look at walks around baggy point and saundton.

in early oct, croyde beach should not be crowded at all. the sunsets will be beautiful looking toward lundy island.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi again ,wrenwood,

I can't remember exactly what you are looking for, but for charming quaintness, the village of Appledore [just along the estuary from Westward Ho!] has got it in spades. I should know - we used to have a house there when our kids were small. google should do it - I'm sure that there are loads of holiday properties there.

on the other hand, Westward Ho! [the only place names after a book that I know of!] is not somewhere to spend longer than half a day, except when they are "potwalloping" ie throwing all the stones back onto the pebble ridge which protects the coastline from the sea. if you want sea and sand, Woolacombe, Braunton, Croyde or Saunton would all be good.

even if you don't stay there, do go and see Appledore - it is such a pretty place.

regards, ann
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann ~ not concerned about spending any time at WH, it is just purely a base. We will be out and about every day. Just concerned about the "feel" of the town, someone on TA called it a "real dump"

I saw one rental at Appledore, looked pretty, but on an estuary, not really ocean? I need 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and would really like to be right above the ocean. Found some cool Light Keeper's Cottages, but 1 bathroom for 5 adults doesn't sound like a happy vacation to me...........

Will check out Appledore listings again

Traveller ~ I have your wonderful Trip Report bookmarked, will go back and re-read.

Thanks, appreciate the help!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention, I haven't found anything that fits my criteria at Woolacombe yet, but I'm still looking!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM

hi wrenwood,

I haven't been to Westward Ho! for a few years but dump might well describe at elast bits of it, though as ever, there are some nicer bits. and it does give access to a lovely coast walk which we did several time.

but Appledore is something else. it is at a wide part of the estuary, so it's tidal, and has many holiday properties - some might say too many! the little streets are very pretty and quaint - our house was no 21, One End Street. there are many nice ones along Irsha street which leads to the lifeboat station.

hope you find one you like,

regards, ann
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Hi again,

I found this link to cottages in Appledore with sea views:

http://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/sea...axWeeklyPrice=

regards, ann
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

What is Ilfracombe like? (from your website Ann, thanks!)
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM

hi wrenwood,

Ilfracombe is a slightly faded seaside resort with a harbour. Beach, hotels, pubs, tea-shops...not my favourite place in the area but nice if you want a beach holiday. and if the sun shines!

I don't know how many self-catering places there are with sea views though!

regards, ann

PS - have you looked at Instow - it's across the estuary from Appledore, and has a beach, so it feels like proper seaside. there used to be a little ferry across to Appledore so you could have the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Ann

If you wouldn't mind take a look at this website. Do you know the area? Looks like it's "on the ocean"

What do you think?

I'll check out Instow area too

THANKS!
Wrenwood
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM

wrenwood.

of course - but which one???

regards, ann
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, I guess you can tell it's spring!

I'm a landscape/garden designer and now is my busy time. I'm pretty good at multi-tasking but obviously I forgot one tiny detail.............

http://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/dev...-devon/ocean-4
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 12:56 AM

I have relatives living around the area and quite honestly say that Westward Ho is not that special. If renting a house in Appledore ensure that you can park nearby. Most of the so called fishermans cottages do not have any parking and the public car park is some yards away.
To get a good feel of the area look at goolge maps and have the photo box ticked. You cna gain a olt of information about the area that way.
Personally I like Instow and Covelly or Bucks Mills. I know there are cottages to rent in the later suggestions
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Here's the url for the apartment in Westward Ho. Lots of windows, washer/dryer, 2 bathrooms, open floor plan, balcony, ocean right there. (along with a town described as a "dump" and lots of bad teeth........wonderful visual!)

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/pho...?home_id=80442

Bookmarked some places hastily to look at in more detail. Most of what I've found in the nicer areas have sea "views" or "glimpses" I really want to hear and smell the ocean
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Here is some more information to help you make up your mind.
The view of the holidaylettings building given above.
http://www.devonguide.com/photos/img607.htm
A nice honest review site.
http://www.devon-holiday.co.uk/beaches.html
More of westward (nice moblie homes!)
http://www.devonguide.com/photos/img602.htm
or how about Braddicks fading holiday village? (also in Westward Ho)
http://www.braddicksholidaycentre.co.uk/cms/index.php

Whereever you stay in the area ensure to take the boat to Lundy, or even a helicopter ride if it is still running.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

OMG ribeirasacra you may have just saved my vacation!

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I have been leaning towards Appledore, but you have DEFINITELY made me decide against WH. Thank you!

I have found some possibilities on Irsha Street in Appledore as Ann suggested. But still looking!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM

It was a long time ago but I once holidayed in Woolacombe and found it really boring & depressing.

Actually I found Devon pretty boring overall and much prefer Cornwall - there's much more to do there IME, and nicer pubs & restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -