Reload this Page >

What is this French Bug?

Search

What is this French Bug?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:56 AM
curious

What is this French Bug?

When we were in France there seemed to be a national insect tthat wasy symbolized in everyting from refrigerator magnets to stationary. We couldn't figure out was it was, it kind of looked like a fly or a bee. We asked, but no one seemed to understand our question/and we couldn't translate well enough to understand their answers. Can anyone tell me what this thing is?

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:03 AM
bugger

The cicada.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:09 AM
curious

Thank you, Bugger! Mystery solved. I assume there is some significance? Anyone know the story?

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:15 AM
s.fowler

I know that a cricket on the hearth is supposed to bring good fortune to the home. We have given 6-8 inch metal ones to friends for housewarming presents. IF they have a fireplace

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Joanne

We bought a ceramic string of cicadas at a roadside stand near Nimes. We were told they bring good luck, particularly in June--don't know if that's accurate, but will let you know next July. <BR> <BR>j

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:24 AM
NoName

The cicada is the symbol of Provence. As the weather in Provence can be tempestuous over summer, (it's hot, usually, so the mildest cold wind blowing in either direction will result in rain, either as a shower or a dramatic storm), everyone used the chirping & volume of the cicada to predict the weather. Also, it is a symbol to the inhabitants of Provence of eternity; no matter how harsh autumn, spring or winter are, the cicada continues to return year after year each summer.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:27 AM
curious

Thanks everyone! Now it all makes perfect sense.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:52 AM
mimi taylor

Hi curious, <BR> That is a cigale (in the cicada family} I collect them but try to find old ones, which is very difficult because the flea markets are picked over very early and there are several well known collectors. My name is singing cigale. The cigale is the symbol of Provence as is the olive and pine. You'll see postcards of the cigale perched on pine or olive branches.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Sue

Don't forget La Fontaine's fable "La Cigale et la fourmi" (The Grasshopper and the Ant), where the cicada got in trouble for singing all summer instead of storing up food for the winter.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:38 AM
OldFashioned

Those things are everywhere in Provence. Gold, silver, ceramic, you name it. Every shop seems to have a million of them. <BR> <BR>Before we knew what they were, we heard them "sing" and they were in little boxes. I asked my wife if they were crickets. And then told her that I wasn't aware of any fishing spots around where you could use live crickets as bait, and if you bought them live in a little box, how long would they live. <BR> <BR>Well, DUH, how about they weren't live but sung only because they had a photo energy cell that when pushed started all that incessant noise. <BR> <BR>Wow, did we feel smart. Guess that's why we travel to Europe so much, so that we can become more enlightened! <BR> <BR>OF

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:06 AM
f-u

old fashioned, you said nothing new only made fu <BR> <BR>n of those who cared.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Old Fashioned

FU, <BR> <BR>And your point is? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>OF

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Tondalaya

Old fashioned, you is one sick puppy. <BR> <BR>You also have a BAD ATTITUDE.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:29 AM
NoName

Watch it, Tondalaya! <BR> <BR>Old-Fashioned will go crying to Fodor's that your post is offensive & immoral & then &gt;poof!&lt; it will disappear like magic!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Old Fashioned

I must be missing something here "Noname" and "Tondalaya". <BR> <BR>I merely responded to a thread with my experience in Provence. If any fun was being poked, it was at me. BTW, "noname" you don't like my morals or values, that's your call, but unless I missed the announcement that said only some of us us could participate in these discussions, then I'll continue, thank you. <BR> <BR>BYW, I have no idea how to e-mail Fodors, and wouldn't if I could. My advice though, grow up! <BR> <BR>OF

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:12 PM
herehere

<BR>Old Fashioned, ignore those cranks, "Noname" and "Tandalaya", a/k/a The Village Idiots.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Sue

Old Fashioned, I dunno what's with those other posters--I thought your post was funny.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Lou

Looks like it is now Old Fashioned's turn to get attacked by the verbal terrorists. Who will they strike next?

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Janice

Old Fashioned: <BR> <BR>I also thought your post was funny. Ignore those other people.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Old Fashioned

Thanks folks for the comments. <BR> <BR>Looks this can be a tough crowd, though. <BR> <BR>OF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -