Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is there to do in Chur and Appenzell?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 04:20 AM
Jack

We are taking the Glacier Express from Zermatt to chur. Has anyone spent an afternoon in Chur? What is there to do? Or should we just get on the next train and go to Appenzell? Any hotel recommendations in Appenzell?

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 05:27 AM
Anna

My husband and I spent a night in Chur after taking the same route. We stayed at the Hotel Stern and had an excellent dinner at its restaurant. The town is very nice with a walled medieval section, winding cobbled lanes, and many squares with fountains. We really liked it. In Appenzell we stayed at the Hotel Santis (also part of the Romantik chain), again we had a delicious dinner at our hotel. Our room was quite modern, but they do have rooms decorated in the Appenzeller style which I would have preferred. At both hotels we paid about 170 SF, or a little over $100.

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 10:03 AM
richard j. vicek

Good afternoon, Jack <BR>Have not been to Chur or Appenzell, <BR>only changing trains at Chur once, however there is supposed to be a few <BR>senic sights within Chur and its old <BR>town might be worth a late afternoon <BR>and possibly staying there overnite <BR>after the six hourplus trainride on the <BR>Glacier Express, The trip to Appenzell <BR>from Chur, I beleive is not direct and <BR>you will have to change trains/bus and <BR>the trip will be from two to two and a half hours. <BR>Here are a couple of urls to surf on <BR>both places. <BR>www.swisshotels.ch/ <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>www.appon.ch/ <BR>www.ktai.ch/ <BR>www.appenzell.ch/ <BR>www.ostschweiz-i.ch/ <BR>www.ethz.ch/ <BR>www.churtourismus.ch/ <BR>www.search.ch/ (swiss search machine) <BR>206.139.242.25/aboiut/about.html. <BR>Good surfing, Richard of Hickory Hills, IL&gt;..