Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the strange smell on the metro in Paris??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Beverly

Can anyone tell me what the smell is at a metro stop in Paris...the stop is at Jussieu. <BR>It has a sort of "orange/alcohol" smell, an overwhelmingly stomach turning bad smell! <BR>I just hated to come to that certain stop! <BR>If anyone has a clue, please...

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:26 AM
JOdy

Beverly- I don't know if we are talking about the same station, I just want to forget. we were on the way to sacre coeur and had to change , 1 station had the most disgusting overpowering, sick-making odor I have EVER smelt , even on the outside platform one could hardly stand it. needless to say we took a bus back.. It's been 2 years and I can still recall it! I'm curious too

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:17 AM
P-U

It was the Parisians.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:04 PM
perfumepete

They pump "perfume" through the air systems in the Metro all over Paris - perhaps you just hit it when a big batch was released. They do this to make it smell better down there. True

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Ess

Maybe it was disinfectant. That's what they use in the NYC subways, but it smells like pinesol.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Lesley

Nope, Pete was right. Believe it or not they do pump a perfume into the air on the Metro. There was talk of bringing it to the London underground.......

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Ess

Well, at least they could make it Chanel!