Reload this Page >

What is the best way to get to ..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:07 PM
Tricia

Northampton in the UK? I have a two day layover in London- should I rent a car and drive out to Northampton or take a train- I am picking up some exotic rabbits and shipping them home with me on Air New Zealand- will the train let me take them or does anyone know- better to rent a car- <BR>I went to multimap.com and got instructions to the breeders house but can't find instructions from Airport to Northampton. Amy ideas what else I should do and see while in that area and a cheap place to stay with a critter? <BR>thank you!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 11:31 PM
Sheila

If this is not a troll, I have seen it all now! <BR> <BR>Assuming Heathrow, by train you need to get into central London, take a train out again (Ben Haines or Nigel Doran will no doubt use their awe inspiring knowledge to tell you which station), and that will get you to Northhampton. <BR> <BR>Assuming this rabbit (cottontail?) is in abox, you should have no trouble travelling with it. That's what i would do. You could drive..you start at the right side of London.. but it would be much more of a hassle.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 12:16 AM
Angela

Tricia <BR>Northampton is about one hour (60miles) from London by train - it used to be Euston station that you would go from. Never seen any exotic rabbits on a train before though. If you rented a car for the day it would be almost as cheap and then you could venture out more easily if you wanted to see the countryside. <BR>In Northamptonshire about 5 miles from Northampton is Althorpe House, the family home of the late Princess Diana also where she is buried, if that interests you. You can have a tour inside the house at certain times of the year. I have never been but am sure they would have a web site with info. <BR>Northampton is famous for it's shoes, there is a small shoe museum in the town centre. <BR>The village of Brixworth (6 miles north of Northampton) has the oldest saxon church in the country which is still in regular use. <BR>The battle of Naseby took place in Northamptonshire and you can visit the battleground, they have reinactments at certain times of the year. <BR>There are a number of country houses to visit in the area with attractive grounds. <BR>The tourist office is in the centre of town on the corner of a street called Derngate(same road as the towns two theatres). They would have information and may be worth a visit. <BR>Northampton is a pleasant regional town, nice villages, pretty countryside and in general a fine place to live but not really an area with much to offer tourists. Growing more popular with London commuters. <BR>For road directions try the Royal Automobile Club at - www.rac.co.uk <BR>Northampton has a number of B&B's, there is also a Marriot courtyard. Most of the B&B's are on the main road through Northampton in the direction of Market Harborough (A508) <BR>Hope this helps <BR>Which airport are you coming from. Northampton is off junction 15/15a on the M1 north from London. <BR>Angela

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 03:16 AM
faunalover

Keep in mind that certain British trains are very well lit, so if your trip is in the winter months you will need to protect the cages from that light lest you disturb the bunnies' biological clock, traumatically rushing them out of their "wintertime" endocrine/neurological state, thus interfering with their reproductive cycle. If you need to breed them this season that could be a hardship. Surprisingly, some hotels that permit canine companions do not allow any sort of rodents. Yet in some of those very same hotels I have observed uninvited rodents (and I do not mean rabbits, either). They consider themselves animal-friendly, but they discriminate unashamedly against non-canine, non-feline, non-avian species. <BR>never done this myself, but good luck.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 05:28 AM
curious

How do you get them back into New Zealand? Just wondering....

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 05:33 AM
Hohohoho

Don't worry about the exotic rabbits - they'll just make more rabbits as rabbits do. Don't forget to go to a chip shop for a 'pea cluster'.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 07:25 AM
Patrick

A side note: couldn't you have finished your statement in your topic so we would know what you were asking about? That way thousands of us who know nothing about getting to Northhampton could better spend our time responding to messages we do have comments for.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 08:04 AM
Tricia Kovell

To those who are laughing or think I am a troll: Here is my website: http://cottonwoodfarms.tripod.com <BR>I am a breeder of show rabbits and have shown my rabbits for 7 years- I am not a troll- many breeders import dogs, horses and yes many have gone to Europe to bring back rabbits- how else do you think we now have 52 breeds of Domestic rabbits in the USA? And I did finish my statement- the question was What is the best way to get to Northampton in the UK- I am flying on Air New zealand which now flies to Europe- just look at the list of destinations on the Air NewZealnd info at www.rebeltours.com <BR> <BR>Thank you to Angela for your wonderful info- I will print it out- still not sure if I should rent a car or take the train but perhaps Elaine in Northampton will know- she says she doesn't drive! <BR>IF anyone would like to see these miniature Angora Lionhead rabbits there is a website with photos of them- just e mail me and I'll be glad to give you the website. I will be the first person to import them! Yippee! I will be asking $250 a pair for them and am paying $30 each for them! I have a list a mile long of people that want them- And to the person who made the post about the light- I am well aware of lighting having an effect on breeding cycles and I also believe in breeding animals according to Farmers Almanac and using the moon cycles- it does work- I can get all does in a litter if I breed per the moon charts <BR>The rabbits will be in a professional all wire shipping carrier that will have a solid top and be packed for their flight back to Los Angeles! <BR>And just as you use the internet to talk travel with people from all over the world, we breeders talke to each other from all over the world. I have to talked to breeders in Austrailia, the UK, Belgium and Holland. Fun, fun fun! <BR>Thank you!

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 08:33 AM
faunalover

I think I am a "troll" (whatever that is I'm not quite sure)-- not a "regular" -- just passing through. I wasn't sure whether you were "real" but I'm glad to know you thought I was! (I made it up the train/light/biological clock/reproduction stuff, but at least my jokes are not unintelligent and not mean.) No nastiness intended, so don't get your hackles up. If you were joking, I thought it was a nice low key whimsical joke, and if you were for real, I figured you'd get your info because plenty of people know England inside out (but I don't). Good luck and have fun.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 09:32 AM
gina

Hi Tricia, I know you're not a troll. I have seen your posts before. Welcome back! By the way, what is the name of that island in Holland that you have recommended and how do you get there? Thanks! Good luck with your bunnies.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 09:46 AM
No

No, no, no. Patrick means that you should have just asked the question in your title. Your title was "What is the best way to get to . . . ". Including the destination in the title would have saved a lot of people the bother. <BR> <BR>This is a pet peeve of mine (no pun intended). Folks, don't do any more of those headings that end in ". . . " and then expect everyone to click on your heading to figure out what you want. Just tell us, darn it already!

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 09:54 AM
Patrick

Tricia: Not to beat a dead horse, or in this case a live rabbit but. . . I meant finish your question in the actual title so that those of us who don't know or care about Northampton won't waste our time bringing up this post which doesn't concern us. This is almost as annoying as vague titles like, "Hotels?", or "travel advice?". <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 07:12 PM
Tricia

That's funny! Patricks post was a joke! Well, I for it! And the reason I didn't post the whole question in the title was it wouldn't let me- it just stopped so I assumed it was like the Clark Howard Message Board that only allows so many letters to in the heading! So sorry I wasted your time folks! But I did get one good answer out of it! and maybe educated the others! LOL!

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 07:20 PM
faunalover

I am not Patrick. I am a total stranger (and incurable practical joker)who just happened to read your post, and by some bizarre coincidence I just now got on the website again moments after your last post. (Telepathy?)

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 11:11 AM
Linda

Hey, Tricia, when I went to spend the weekend in Whittlebury in Northamptonshire from Oxford, I took the local bus. It was nice going through the villages and down country lanes but it took a while. <BR> <BR>Your rabbit story is reminding me of a Welch undergraduate I met at the Bear pub in Oxford who told me he was studying the dunging habits of rabbits. The same night, I met another undergraduate who told me he was in the pub one night when an undergraduate was thrashing another. A Texan pulled off his big old belt with its huge belt buckle and said "Hell, use this!" I laughed and realized I'd been had. Who said Brits are humorless?

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 06:26 PM
xxx

How are the rabbits sent to New Zealand? Isn't it dangerous in the luggage are?a