Reload this Page >

What is the best BEER in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Andy

Just a poll question to start a little donnybrook. The best are 1) Guinness Stout 2) Spaten Optimator 3) Chimay

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:32 AM
flyboy

Kölsh, Heinekin

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Jim

Harp

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Kathy

Pilsner Urquell - Czech Republic

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Judy

MMMM, so many beers, so little time,,,,when we went to Belgo Centrall, they had so many; I had trouble choosing just one fav. I liked Stella dry, it was very smoooooth. IMO, Judy

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Diane

My fav world-wide is Kingfisher from India because of it's label: "Most thrilling served chilled" But I don't know if I can truly pick a "best" because there are more incredible Belgian beers than I could ever get around to tasting in one lifetime!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:13 PM
wes fowler

It's a tossup between Andechs and Chimay Blue. For a non-monastic beer, the Budweiser Budvar of the Czech Republic. European beers with the most interesting names are "Delirium Tremens" from Ghent, Belgium, and Brussels' "Mort Subite" (Sudden Death, named after a dice game, not the beer’s after effects)and "De Ultieme Hallucinatie" (the final hallucination). <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Lee

Andy, Depends on the country and the situation. Stopping for a quick drink while walking, having dinner, last stop at a beer hall, to name a few. <BR> <BR>Anyway, in Holland, Amstel is as good as it gets. In Germany, it's St. Pauli Girl in the north and Paulaner or eeven Lowenbrau in the south. In the Czech Republic, it's Pilsner Urquel which has been mentioned as the world's best beer being stored in underground caverns in Pilsn. It is the first "pilsner" on record. If you like lager, Budvar is very good. In Paris, the 1664 is good and Mousel in Luxembourg should get some recognition, also. <BR> <BR>There are many other countries with great beer, like Switzerland, Austria, Italy... not to mention the little regional breweries, especially in Bavaria. <BR> <BR>So many beers, so little time... <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Patrick

On a scale of 1 to 100, Guinness gets a 99.9 from me. Then there are a whole bunch of them at about 95. Guinness from the tap is in a class by itself.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:26 PM
debbie

Pilsner Urquell!!!!! - Czech Republic

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:27 PM
beerlover

Around the corner from our lovely apartment in Paris was a pub with thousands (ok, hundreds) of beer types. We sampled as many as possible in a week and one we still talk about was the strawberry beer (don't knock it till you've tried it!!).

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:38 PM
SharonM

Beerlover, <BR> <BR>Along the same lines, the Belgian Lambic Beers are terrific! Try the Framboise (raspberry), Peche (peach), or Cassis. I think there is also a cherry beer. Very champagne-like. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, hard to choose! Belgian beers in general, Murphy's Red, Kilkenny, Guiness... <BR> <BR>Stay away for Portuguese and Spanish beers if at all possible!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Beth Anderson

Newcastle Brown Ale <BR> <BR>Leffe Blonde

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Brian in Atlanta

First, Guiness, second, Old Peculiar, and third, Orangeboom in The Netherlands because I like saying the name (or-AN-ga-boom).

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Capo

Another vote for Pilsner Urquell. Not necessarily the "best"...but my favorite.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:05 PM
ron

Orkney Dark Island

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:28 PM
franco

Any French-specific beers any of you found outstanding other than 1664?

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Eva

Hello? Stella!!!!!!!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Andy

Beamish Stout of Ireland is also very good. Let me add Belgium's Duvel.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Maira

Pilsner Urquell from the Czech Republic. <BR> <BR>Kathy and Debbie-- we would be trouble together! <BR> <BR>Special mention: Bitburger from Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -