Reload this Page >

What is that spray in the airplane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 10:04 AM
julie

When we flew from Paris to Rome (Air France), as the plane landed we were hit with the "spray" that I have only read about. What an obnoxious things to do to unsuspecting passengers! Is there any way to avoid this in the future or is it something done on all planes within Europe? <BR>Tried to hold our breath but went on way too long. I suppose one time won't hurt us -- but I'd sure to get hit with that I traveled alot.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 10:42 AM
Mary

Julie: this is new to me?! what happened?

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 11:10 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Julie, was the "spray" coming from a can that the flight attendent was holding has he/she walked up and down the aisle? I've seen this on trips to Mexico and Jamaica but never intra-Europe flights? <BR> <BR>Or was it coming out of the air vents as you were just coming in for a landing? I've seen this occur a few times when the air conditioning system produces a very fine mist (looks like smoke) as it is overloaded with the humidity on the ground. Just harmless water vapor in those cases.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 01:19 PM
vanessa

I saw this too on a flight from Brussels to Paris on Sabena. The flight attendants were spraying it from an aerosol can. They were spraying the seats. I just assumed it was a disinfectant like Lysol. But then again I don't remember it having any kind of fragrant smell....

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 01:24 PM
Helen

Vanessa, I'm pretty sure it's bug killer the flight attendants spray, to head off potential agricultural disasters. (Why bother on a flight from Brussels to Paris you ask? Good question. Why does the USDA seize citrus fruits at JFK from passengers headed for the Bronx? Same logic.)

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 03:05 PM
julie

It was a fine mist coming from the air vents in the plane. It may have been nothing but it sure smelled strong and like a bug spray. I had heard that some airlines are doing this to kill any kind of bacteria, etc. Now I'm curious as to whether it was my imagination or not --

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:20 PM
Mary

Humidity. We live in Florida and almost every flight we take in summer time we get that funny little "smoke", (I hope that's what it is).

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 06:30 PM
Stephanie

Air New Zealand also sprays....they are very cautious of anything (bugs, etc.) arriving on their soil. Customs even cleaned my husbands golf shoes upon arrival....which my husband thanked them for!!! Whatever they used did have a smell..but nothing that was offensive.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 06:54 PM
Joanna

Air NZ and Qantas have stopped the spraying for about 3 years or so now. It was to prevent any nasty germs entering the countries. (Last flew QF international in October 98 and Air NZ in March 99, so reasonably up to date).

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 06:55 PM
Joanna

Air NZ and Qantas have stopped the spraying for about 3 years or so now. It was to prevent any nasty germs entering the countries. (Last flew QF international in October 98 and Air NZ in March 99, so reasonably up to date).

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 07:01 PM
wes fowler

Julie, <BR>Up until recently the U.S. Department of Transportation was considering requiring airlines to notify passengers if insecticides were going to be released into passenger cabins. The Department dropped the idea in early 1988 as more and more countries and airlines dropped the practice. The Consumer Reports Travel Letter of April '98 indicates that spraying is done in Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, Madagascar and Kiribati while passengers are aboard. Spraying of empty planes is done in Australia, Barbados, Fiji, Jamaica, New Zealand and Panama. You can find out about the current status of spraying at http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/ under "Aircraft Disinfection Requirements". I think you were simply the victim of humidity.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 07:07 PM
gt

I agree that it was the humidity--I've seen it in Florida also. I remember hearing about flight attendants spraying the faces of passengers on very long flights. But, in this case, it was a moisturizing spray was supposed to prevent the skin from drying out in that cruddy air they have in the cabin.