Reload this Page >

What is not to do things in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 08:50 AM
charlie

I will be in Paris this December. <BR>First trip to Paris though I have been to Nice, Cannes and Antibe. <BR> <BR>I would like to know about what is not to do things in Paris? <BR> <BR>Any experts pls help me. <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Alice

Charlie, do you mean 'what are things you should not miss seeing in Paris'?

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Pasquale

Don't pee in the streets like in the old films. We now have modern street toilets. <BR>Don't order french toast. That is american. <BR>Don't touch the merchandise in chic stores, that is only done in america, tho I almost had my hand cut off in New york. <BR>Don't eat or wash your sox out of the bidet. They are not sterilized regularly.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 07:54 AM
topper

topping

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:46 AM
trying

Don't spend a fortune for every meal. Many neighborhood restaurants are affordable and very good. Be wary of the restaurants that are VERY conveniently located to tourist attractions. Some are not very good (preying on the tourists, and less concerned about quality).

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:51 AM
Greg Gallagher

Don't be a "ugly American" try new things don't expect it to be America. <BR> <BR>Don't wear sneakers. Also, I have noticed even their casual clothes are fashion conscience, neat, and clean.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:57 AM
Longtime Fan

DON'T advertise on this board for a companion while in France! Remember THAT thread! lol If I knew how to resurrect the old posts I would top it. <BR> <BR>Don't dash through the louvre in 45 minutes wearing tennies! Or, don't admit to it here. (Another story! )

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 09:14 AM
s.fowler

C'mon folks -- Charlie's first language is not English and he's not an American. I admire him for continuing to post in the face of the meaness some on this board have shown him. How about some REAL advice. <BR> <BR>Charlie -- <BR>Anyone's list will be different. It depends on what you want. But I'll hazard a small personal list here <BR>Museums: Louvre, D'Orsay, Beauborg, Picasso. <BR>Place to walk: along the Seine, and in the 5th and 6th districts. <BR>Best views: from the Eiffel Tower, from the department store, Le Samartaine, from Sacre Coeur in Monmartre. <BR>Places to eat/drink: try a wine bar -- I like L'Ecluse, Au Sauvignon, Sancerre and Bistrot Nouvelle Marie. You just order a small thing to eat, such as bread and cheese, to go with your wine. For BIG meals - cheap: Perraudin in the 5th district, moderate to high: La Fontaine de Mars in the 7th, Bistrot de Paris in the 7th very near the 6th. Expensive: Vietnamese-French in the 7th -- Tan Dihn. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 09:34 AM
fear and

Don't wear a baby for a hat. <BR>Don't eat anything with the letter Q in it <BR>Don't eat Qs <BR>Don't pay for anything with badgers; the French hate them <BR>Don't speak Latin except in the Latin Quarter, and then only with permission from Brad Pitt <BR>Don't ask "Avez-vous une perissoire gloutonne?", especially in front of a policeman <BR>Don't accept a game of badminton, no matter what

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:04 PM
LE

I think s.fowler has very good advice, but on the museums, I would replace Beauborg & Picasso with the Orangerie (the Monet room will never travel!) and Rodin museums. <BR>On walks, I would pick the Champs first, and begin or end at the Arc.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:10 PM
JOdy

Glad I am not the only one that the Beauborg leaves cold. I do love the Carnevelet and the Cluny though. Rodin is one of my favorites if just to sit in the garden!

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:11 PM
me

I beleive the Orangerie is still closed for this year. Can't wait till it reopens!

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:21 PM
noskunks

DO NOT go on the sewer tour.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
Book Chick

Topping for Charlie.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:17 PM
Diane

DO be sure to take a boat trip on the Seine on a sunny day. Simply delightful.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:53 PM
charlie

Thank you for your time and efforts and it will be very helpful and useful. <BR> <BR>Especially shrimp56, italia, loathing, demtwo2, paris. <BR> <BR>Your postings enlarge my thought and energize my needs to go there. <BR> <BR>What is sewer tour? <BR> <BR>Though my real meaning of my first asking is what are the things I should not acts in Paris, paradoxically every replies are very very unblocking the my old thoughts. <BR> <BR>Thank you again your all hospitality. <BR> <BR>P.S. If you have any askings for Korea, pls email me at any time. <BR> <BR>I have been studying english. <BR>Thanks. Shrimp56 and I think I guess you knows me a little and I would like to know about you. <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:59 PM
Book Chick

Charlie, <BR>The Parisians actually do have a tour of their sewer system. <BR> <BR>This is because getting clean, safe water into the city & getting dirty "used" water out of the city was a big goal for Paris in its history, and it was a matter of some pride for Parisians when they met this goal. They consider their sewer system one of the best and most advanced in the world! (I'm not sure it is, but I am sure it is NOT worth your time!) <BR>Best Wishes for a Wonderful Trip, <BR>BC

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:37 PM
charlie

Book Chick: <BR> <BR>Thank you for your prompt reply. <BR>Well, I got the point. <BR>You are a real expert in Paris.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:40 PM
Book Chick

Charlie, <BR>Thank you! Have a wonderful time in "above ground" Paris! There is plenty to see & do there that you will enjoy very much. <BR>Best Wishes, <BR>BC

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:52 PM
charlie

Book Chick: <BR> <BR>How kind you are! <BR>If you have your own informations for Paris, pls don't hesitate to inform me. <BR> <BR>Thank you again your hospitality. <BR>Hope to support to you next time. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -