Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is not allowed in airport anymore since 9/11?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Brianna

I am goign to be travelling from Boston to Heathrow next week and am wondering about new safety/security measures since 9/11. Is there anything that I should NOT bring or anything that will cause questions/alarms (that previously wouldn't) while going through immigration? I am assuming it is still okay to pack razors, tweezers, etc???

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Book Chick

Razors, I'm not so sure about. Scissors are definitely forbidden.<BR>Tweezers are okay, allowable.<BR><BR>This info is based on my JFK-Rome round-trip taken in the past 2 weeks.<BR><BR>Have a Great Trip,<BR>BC

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Brianna

not straight edge razors...me: Daisy disposable razors, and my bf, Gilette <BR>Mach II (?) razor and an electric razor...are these okay? Should I pack them in suitcase or carryon with ky make up, etc?

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Rhonda

Do you mean airport/airline security or, as stated, immigration?<BR><BR>If you mean the former, most airline websites have a section addressing this or you could call them and ask. Packing questionable items in checked baggage, and not in carry-on, makes the most sense.<BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Bri

DUH...airline security...passing thru and stuff...oops...I will check the United Airlines site! If anyone has had any problems, let me know.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:37 PM
cliff

Your KY should be fine to carry on.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Book Chick

Bri,<BR>I saw a woman have her scissors taken out of her carry-on by security, but since they weren't huge "surgical scissors", they merely asked her if she'd like to have them put into her checked luggage.<BR><BR>If possible, check with your airline, as I've heard there is some variability, but I can't imagine anything you'd be taking would cause a major kind of commotion that would delay you from catching your flight & having your things with you, in either your checked or carry-on baggage.<BR>Best Wishes,<BR>BC

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:17 PM
bri

That wasn't KY, that was supposed to be MY...hahaha

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Terry

Just received a flyer from United.<BR>Alas to all wine lovers--- corkscrews are also on the no no list.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Dennis

I was flying back from Prague in December to the USA. I had to switch to another plane in Amsterdam. My checked in bag did not make it on the flight from Amsterdam. When I got my bag the next day at my home, the lock was cut off of the bag and they had taken my tweezers and a magnifying glass. The magnifying glass was around 3 x 5 that swung out and had a light. I guess that they took it because it had a battery in it.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 05:23 PM
twat

I was stopped in heathrow for having offensive breath..they told me it was a weapon. I laughed and tried to walk on..but as i did the alarm bells went off!..3 hours later with tubes of toothpaste and listerine everywhere they evntually let me out..Its getting rediculous out there!