Reload this Page >

What is Limoncello?

Search

What is Limoncello?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:18 PM
crp

What is Limoncello?

What is Limoncello ---I'm not sure if I am spelling it correctly!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Sue

It's a lemon liqueur that is made from the huge lemons found especially along the Amalfi coast. There is a cream type, also. All the little towns along the coast feature it, and most stores hand out little samples. It's refreshing, and I've served it back here as a digestive, after dinner. There's even a recipe I found on google on how to make it, but have not done it yet.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Book Chick

What is it? Delicious!<BR><BR>And the info Sue gave in the post above mine is accurate. Personally, I'd never attempt to make it, 'cause I like the memory of enjoying it in Italy! (Also, might be a little afraid of screwing it up!)<BR><BR>BC

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Gretchen

Here's the recipe--it is TDF!!<BR><BR>Two (750 ml) bottles of 100 proof vodka Zest from 15 large lemons <BR>4 c. sugar <BR>5 c. water <BR>Very large mason jar or jar with a lid Peel the lemons making sure not to get any of the pith. I used my good grips peeler and took it off in strips. I also scrubbed my lemons with soap, hot water and a scrubby pad first to make sure I didn't get any waxes or anything in the brew. Put the peel in a large mason jar. Pour over one of the bottles of vodka. Place the jar in a cool, dark place for 40 days. <BR><BR>At the end of 40 days, cook the sugar and water together for about 5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and it is starting to get a little syrupy. Cool. Pour into the jar along with the 2nd bottle of vodka. Put back in the cool dark place for another 40 days. &lt;BR&gt;<BR>At the end of that period, strain out the lemon peel and store in bottles in the freezer. <BR><BR>- - - - - - -<BR><BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Jody

It's delightful, it's delicious, it's delirious!!! regular or the crema!!!<BR><BR>But don't wait to buy it in the duty free ...find an enotecca or better yet a supermarket .. the one in the tunnel between Pz de Spagna and Via Veneto has it for 4 Euros!!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Linda

Everybody above is right. But the REAL limoncello comes from Capri. Unfortunately, there are only so many lemons on Capri, so the real stuff is rare.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Kay

Don't stock up till you taste it! I can't drink the stuff.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Sue

All of these liqueurs are a matter of taste-- but try it-- it's very Italian.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Vincenzo

Limoncello, as it is a winner, has many fathers!<BR>Someone say Capri, other say Sorrento, and other say Amalfi Coast. <BR>Penisola Sorrentina and Amalfi Coast, as you can see when you visit both, are very near but their lemons are quite different. The lemon of Penisola Sorrentina is small, we name it "figurino" it would mean, a thin young man. The lemon of Amalfi Coast is very big, we name it "sfusato".<BR>As success it had in the last years, a lot of limoncello is made with lemons coming from Calabria and Sicily.<BR>Anyhow, you can find limoncello made with our lemons, in Vico Equense amd Piano di Sorrento (Penisola Sorrentina ) and in Minori (Amalfi Coast).<BR>Besides limoncello, you'd taste also finocchietto and nocillo.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Amy

...heaven on earth!<BR><BR>I just got back from my first trip to Italy, loved the regular limoncello, but absolutely adore the creamy. Make sure it's served from the freezer in a chilled glass, it makes all the difference. I have to agree with a post above, it was better from Capri! I was astounded to find out that the bottle I paid 8 euros for in Sorrento is $27 here in Boston, but hey, at least I can get a fix if I need it! I can't wait to have it on a hot summer night...maybe over some lemon gelatto!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:43 AM
LemonAid

On the Greek isle of Naxos the <BR>speciality is 'kitros' - their<BR>version of limoncello - fabulous<BR>on ice as an aperitif. Of course,<BR>the setting doesn't hurt!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Grasshopper

Casting my lemoncello vote...... BLECH!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Monica

Amy, here are two receipes for the Limoncello Cream. One is from my husband's cousin who lives in Naples and the other is my version.<BR><BR>http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/LimoncelloCream.html<BR><BR>The limoncello cream is also my favorite!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 11:13 AM
John G

Jesus H Christ, I have so many bottles of Liquore di Limoni from Sorrento around my house, I use them as knick-knacks. I have never tasted the stuff, but the pretty bottles are certainly decorative.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Tina

A little goes along way for me. I find it pretty powerful stuff. Has anybody done any baking with limoncello? Use it instead of rum in a 'rum cake'?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Shanna

As others have said, divine! Mix equal parts vodka, Bacardi Limon, limoncello, stir with ice, strain for a great martini. Drink only one! Oh, what the heck, drink two - or three. Go dance under the moon.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 01:22 PM
nina

Yummmm, We always keep a bottle on our bar. Serve it VERY cold, and take small sips. As Shanna said, a little vodka will cut the sweetness. We usually have it while we're in the whirlpool. No need to make it, it can be found at most package stores, and I think we pay about $ 12 for it here in CT.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Venice

my first experience with limoncello was in Venice on a very cold winter night. My two girlfriends and I were the only customers in this great restaurant near San Marco and I think the waiters were bored or lonely and they kept bringing us free limoncello...we sipped and got tipsy and had a great time. Loved it so much bought some at the airport on the way home.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:34 PM
sam

Don't you sillies know, Limoncello is where Thomas Jefferson housed his fruits. He loved them so much he gave them their own separate wing.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Amy

Thanks for the recipes for the creamy limoncello, Monica, that made my day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -