Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is Chocolate Train fare w/only 2nd class Swiss Pass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I've searched this board trying to find info on the fare for the chocolate train, but still need further advice on my specific situation.

I only have a 2nd class Swiss Pass, and the train reservation on RailEurope and MOB are for 1st class passholders only.

I believe I have 2 options:
(1) purchase 1-day upgrade to 1st class and then purchase 25CHF reservation, OR

(2)Simply purchase the 1/2 fare of ~55CHF, which is listed on www.mob.ch. However, there was another fare that said 1/1 for ~88CHF, so maybe this is the correct price and not the 55CHF one?

Since this itinerary (Montreux,Gruyeres,Broc Choco Factory) seems to be popular on this board, I hope someone can tell me which choice to choose, or if you have other advice, I'd appreciate it very much.

Also, though I'll be in the region from a monday-wednesday, I really only have Wed as an option since I'll arrive in Montreux after the train departs at 09:30.Are there other ways to do this trip on Tue? I bet the village of Gruyeres and Cailler factory will be a lot more agreeable without a train load of other visitors.

Thank You.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Hi cali123,

Hope I can address your questions --

The tour called "Chocolate Train" is exclusively in 1st Class on the train, so you'll have to either upgrade for the day or buy the full fare (85.40). The 1/2 fare is for people who have the Half Fare Card.

You can do all of the elements of this tour on your own. There are many trains that go from Montreux to Gruyeres -- just research at www.rail.ch. Of course, your Swiss Pass is good on all of them, and you don't need a reservation. After you tour Gruyeres, take the bus on to Broc (again, schedules at www.rail.ch) and tour the Cailler factory (www.cailler.ch).

I think the advantage of doing the tour is convenience -- you don't have to figure out schedules and entrance fees and finding the buildings, etc. The advantages of doing it yourself are price & the freedom of doing it on your own schedule.

I can tell you that I've been to Gruyeres twice on my own and really loved it; I've never been to Broc, and I've never taken the Chocolate Train --

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM

t
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM

>The tour called "Chocolate Train" is exclusively in 1st Class on the train, so you'll have to either upgrade for the day or buy the full fare (85.40). The 1/2 fare is for people who have the Half Fare Card.

The "Chocolate train" is a vintage 1920's luxury coaches pulled by a locomotive from the same time. Just as with any other Swiss scenic lines, the rail line isn't run for tourists alone. There are numerous trains (hourly as almost everywhere else in Switzerland) running from Montreux to Gruyere and on- if you don't mind normal modern carriages and a train change in Montbovon you will be fine.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Swandav and Altamiro.

Since the Swiss Pass also acts as a 1/2 card, it'd be 55CHF for the train, which in my opinion, can buy a lot of chocolate, or a nice lunch in Gruyeres.

For this reason, and the freedom of doing things at my own pace--which is more my style--I will forego the chocolate train. I already looked on bahn.de for possible itineraries. The most convenient one [4 changes]vevey-bossonens-gruyeres-bulles-broc fabrique. Looks daunting...so maybe i'll have a change of heart when I get there and just opt for convenience and 1920s opulence. For now, Thanks.

I hope this post can be of use to others interested in this trip, but not going 1st class. Depending on your travel party, 55CHFpp can really add up.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:21 AM

>The most convenient one [4 changes]vevey-bossonens-gruyeres-bulles-broc fabrique. Looks daunting...

Not at all. Changing trains is after all not like changeing planes, and you are also not looking at big stations with dozens of tracks. You get out onto the platform and on the other side of the platform your nex train or bus is waiting. Don't let yourself deter by changes - except you have a lot of luggage or a baby prma with you, then it might be difficult.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing trains with lots of luggage is not always easy but can be done. I took the train from Zürich Airport to Biberbrugg last week. We had four suitcases: one for each person (two adults and two children).

We had a 12-minute "layover" time at the Zürich Bahnhof. It was more than enough time to walk from Gleis (track) 6 to 12.

We had a 3 minute "layover" time in Wädenswil. We spoke with a man on the train who said if we rush, we won't miss our train. Well, the train stopped, we quickly pushed open the doors and my husband jumped onto the platform as I handed him our suitcases. To catch the next train we needed to go down some steps, through a tunnel and up some other steps. Each of us took a suitcase and paused at the steps. Elevator or steps? Since the elevator seemed slow, we struggled with our suitcases down the steep steps, ran 10 seconds to the next flight of steps and again asked: elevator or steps? We had 1.30 min. left. We chose the elevator because our luggage was heavy. Ping! Pushed the elevator button. It came down slowly. We got in quickly and pushed the button. It went up slowly. We got out and ran for the waiting train. Luckily, the man who we had spoken to previously stood at the door of the train, keeping it from leaving until we got there.

We threw our suitcases into the train and thanked the man. I think we would have missed the train without him.

Lesson learned: if time to change trains is short, send a person ahead to stand at the steps of the train. They can warn the conductor of the situation. He will make the train wait for people in these type of situations.