Reload this Page >

What is an "agriturismo"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 12:51 PM
Richard

I've seen this term used a few times and must confess I have no idea what it is, but is sounds like the kind of place we would stay.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 01:29 PM
Sheila

In a nutshell it's some form of accommodation- B&B or apartment- based on a farm. My limited experience was very good.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 02:40 PM
elizabeth

As the previous posting says an agriturismo is like a bed and breakfast on a working farm. Accommodations range from a <BR> hotel-like room (bed/bathroom/small sitting area) to an apartment <BR> with kitchen facilities. In our experience you can either have <BR> breakfast as part of your rate (and other meals as well) or opt out <BR> of meals completely for a lower rate. <BR> <BR> A few <BR> Agriturismo web sites to check out are: <BR> <BR> www.lainet.com/initaly/agri/agri2.htm <BR> www.toscana.agriturismo.net/ <BR> www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/pages/Italy_tu.htm <BR> www.agriturismo.net <BR> <BR> Also, the May issue of Gourmet Magazine has an article about <BR> Agriturismos. <BR> <BR> We've stayed at several agriturismos and found them to be universally clean, charming and reasonable. In our experience the owners are genuinely interested in their guests, and we have spent many special evenings talking about everything from how to prune an olive tree to Italian politics (both of which, by the way, are complicated!). <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 08:40 PM
Barbara

Richard, <BR> <BR>In Italy, citizens are given a tax break for turning old buildings on their properties into B&B accomodations. As a result, as examples of agriturismo you find farm buildings, villas, towers, castles and palazzos, all refurbished into interesting accomodations. They tend to be, although not exclusively, outside the towns and often in a quite rural location. We have stayed at many over the last 10 years. I find the most reliable ratings and descriptions to be in the Karen Brown Guide. <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 05:28 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Do you have to help out with the chores?