Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What immunizations do you get for travel to Istanbul?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave March 12 for a trip only to Istanbul and have never had any of the hepatitis vaccinations. I looked at the CDC website and saw the whole region was "moderate" in risk for Hep A and Hep B. I can easily get the Hep B series at my local health dept, but getting the Hep A will involve much more effort (and expense, as my insurance covers no adult immunizations).
The CDC site said these immunizations were more important if you were outside of the big cities, eating at small restaurants (off the beaten path).
Not that I want to incur risk of a liver transplant in my future, but the series of shots will come to about $2000 for my husband and myself...
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:30 AM

As far as immunisations go, Istanbul is a European city, none are needed.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:53 AM

The Dutch equivalent of the CDC recommends Hep A and of course your DTP should be up to date. It says Hep B jabs are only needed in certain cases.

However if you are going only to Istanbul then I would think you are safe enough without them. Millions of Europeans visit Turkey without ever thinking of getting jabs.

It is surprising though the countries where Hep A is recommended. If you go on holiday to Mexico Hep A is also recommended for instance.

It requires to jabs one before you go and one bout 6 months later, which gives you 25 years protection.

I am shocked it would cost you so much to get the jabs. here we pay for them but it is nowhere near that amount.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM

$2000? I got a series of immunizations for Morocco at my county health department and it was less than $200. Hep A&B, tetanus, DPT. I don't know why you'd need any more for Istanbul.

I doubt that you'd need anything other than a tetanus booster for Istanbul.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM

I didn't get any immunizations to go to Istanbul. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM

You could get hep A or B anywhere. I traveled outside of Istanbul and needed it anyway, so I went ahead and got B at the advice of my dr, but he did not recommend a.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM

I didn't get any for a 2 week tour of Turkey or when I went to Morocco
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Can only get Hep B with tetanus and the H1N1 at my local health dept. There is a city about 40 miles away whose health dept used to give Hep A and other shots needed for trave, but due to cutbacks, staff loss through attrition (that funding cuts prohibit replacement of), and focus on the H1N1, means no Hep A at that Health Dept either.
So I called my doctors office. $278 for Hep A series, $378 for the Hep B series, then we need to be caught up on others-the every 10 stuff and H1N1 etc. Maybe $2000 was too high an estimate, but it will be at least $1500 for the two of us. America needs health care reform !!!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM

If you wouldn't get all those shots for Paris, there is no need to get them for Istanbul.

Istanbul is a modern city. There's a Louis Vuitton in Nisantasi for Christ's sake. I drank water right out of the spigot at the Ritz-Carlton and never got sick.

You aren't going Third World, sweetie darling.

Walk through the Ciragan Kempinski Hotel--where Oprah stayed--and tell me if you think you are in Bangladesh.

Thin
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:23 AM

<<I drank water right out of the spigot at the Ritz-Carlton and never got sick.>>

Does the Ritz have a purifying system? I made tea from water from the spigot at my hotel and did get sick and it wasn't fun.

I don't think you need worry about immunizations but I'd advise against drinking water from the faucet. Maybe you'll get sick, maybe you won't, but why take a chance on spoiling your vacation? Bottled water is plentiful and inexpensive.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:27 AM

<<Can only get Hep B with tetanus and the H1N1 at my local health dept.>>

Then do that. You should keep your tetanus updated anyway and the Hep B will protect you for further travels.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

"You aren't going Third World, sweetie darling".

Why the condescending remark? ThinGorjus. What is your motivation?

If you look at my question, I cited the CDC website information, and merely weighing risk factors. I am older, and never was given these immunizations as a child-and have been neglectful in keeping up with adult immunizations.
Hep B shots are now given to US children, as part of their routine immunizations.....and I don't think of us as "Third World" either.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:39 AM
P_M

Thin calls everyone sweetie-darling, I don't think it was meant to be condescending.

Nobody in our group got any shots, I really think you are OK in Turkey.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:42 AM

"Thin calls everyone sweetie-darling, I don't think it was meant to be condescending."

Or, she's condescending to everyone!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Thingorjus has a wicked sense of humor, and always means well, so don't be offended!!!

Do you have a travel doctor/travel clinic near you? Many of the major city hospitals have them. I think their pricing may be somewhat lower, so you may want to check if you haven't already.

We DID get all the shots listed above because our travel doctor recommended them. He also
recommended that we take along a prescription for Cipro because I have an ancient stomach, although I'm fairly young. That turned out to be an excellent idea since a roadside stand did
me in on the way to Ephesus.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

We plan to ask the Dr for an antibiotic-is Cipro the most basic "all around" antibiotic for all things digestively upsetting?
We have one of those travel clinics, but they wanted a mandatory $48 from each person at the initial meeting (I felt that was excessive, as I can figure that part out myself via asking questions here, at the CDC website, etc), to discuss our past immunization record and what shots we might potentially need. Then, while their immunization cost was less than our family Dr, it was double that of the health dept (but they did have the Hep A, which my health dept did not).
The travel clinic is also 40 miles away.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Recommending anything regarding doctors, medicine and medical care is very dangerous. So i am not recommending or suggesting anything but giving you some facts:

- Getting your hepatitis shots will be very cheap in turkey. If you go to any pharmacy, near your hotel, or near a hospital and ask for it, they will administer it for a small fee. and the vaccine is much cheaper than it would be in the US. You will not need a doctor's instructions or prescription for this. However, i do not know, whether the vaccine becomes effective immediately, or whether you can just go for the booster when you get back to the states, and whether the vaccine may have some simple but disturbing side effects which will reduce your enjoyment of the vacation. (our pharmacist, near Taksim is incredible with shots, when he administered my flue and swine flue shots at two separate occasions, i had to make sure that he actually did inject something, because i did not feel even a prick.)(of course my wife keeps on saying that i have no feelings but i do not think it is the same thing. )

- You will not neen a prescription to buy antibiotics in Turkey. Even Prozac type drugs do not need prescriptions.
also antibiotics and most medicine is much cheaper here, unless you are buying with a special prescription from Target Stores in the US. (for example, we always take a lot of inhalators for a friend's asthma when we visit US)
If you go to a pharmacy and tell or pantomime the area of your problem and ask for an antibiotic, pronouncing the 'bi' as 'bee' the pharmacist will give you the best one suited for your needs. or you can just buy your cipro or amoxiciline, or whatever here, if you need it.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:45 AM
P_M

That's a very good suggestion to get shots/meds in Turkey, if the OP decides to do this. When I was in Turkey I bought a few prescription meds for my mother as they are much cheaper than the US.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM

>Does the Ritz have a purifying system? I made tea from water from the spigot at my hotel and did get sick and it wasn't fun. <

If you boiled the water to make tea, how did you get sick from it?

You probably got sick from something else.

I drank tap water all over Istanbul and on the island of Buyukada. Swam in the pools at the Ritz-Carlton and the Splendid Palas. Never got sick. Cousin Muffy didn't get sick, Mum didn't get sick, Keith didn't get sick.

Of course your doctor tells you to get shots. Medicine is BIG BUSINESS IN THE US. LOTS OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You all remind me of the Mormon lady who sat at a table across from me at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. She was terrified to eat her cereal with the milk provided for her. She called a waiter over and asked if the milk was pasteurized. He said, "Of course." She asked, "How do you know?" He returned, "Because it says so on the side of the milk carton that came from the supermarket." Then he smiled a wry smile and said, "Don't you all have supermarkets in Salt Lake?"

PS

I AM A MAN. I AM NOT A SHE.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM

"If you boiled the water to make tea, how did you get sick from it?"

Okay, Great and Powerful:

I didn't boil the water.

I used a coffee/tea maker in the hotel that "heated" the water. It was the only time that I hadn't used bottled water in a three week trip and the only time I got sick. I was with a group and ate the same food at breakfast and lunch that they did and I was the only one who got sick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -