Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What fruits are ripening where you are and especially in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Annette

O.K., so this question is marginally travel related. Here in the states in Washington I bought two flats of raspberries last week. In a couple weeks we will be picking blueberries and in mid August I'll be visiting my friend in Yakima and will bring back peaches to can, if my ambition holds. What fruits are coming on where you live and/or in Europe right now? Have any of you participated in fruit or other produce harvesting in Europe? When do gooseberries come on and are they easy to pick? Gooseberries should be more poplular here in the states!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Veruca

A snozberry? Whoever heard of a snozberry?

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:15 AM
JOdy

Hi Annette, <BR> <BR>Strawberries are over here in FL but the avocados are just about ready if the blasted squirrels would stop biting them off at the stems and dropping them on our heads, lost 26 that way yesterday! Mangoes are in all the markets now for about 25-50 cents so lots of those will go into the freezer! <BR>I've been finding goosberiiers in the stores lately but the price is out of sight! And next year I am definitely planting a fig tree!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Ursula

Annette hi! Right now, a lot of fruit are in season in Switzerland. Raspberries, blackberries,strawberries (end of the peak), blueberries, cherries, apricots, peaches, also kiwis from the Valais (Wallis) close to the Lake of Geneva. Melons and water melons have high season as well, but do usually come from Southern France and Italy. <BR>While on a nice hiking trip, we usually find wild berries, but it's also very popular (and cheap!) to pick strawberries right at the producer's farms. Strawberry Fields forever....

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Irish

Dingleberries. In fact, I'm watching them ripen in between postings.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Art

Peaches and Watermelon should be available soon in Italy. I remember the beast Peaches that I've ever had (the size of grapefruits) in Venice in August as well as delicious watermelon slices. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:35 PM
PB

In my area of Provence, the peaches, nectarines and melons are everywhere in the markets and the prices are dropping because it is the height of the season. <BR>Some varieties of pears are starting to appear and soon we'll have apples. <BR> <BR>Cherries, apricots and strawberries are much earlier - the local season for those ended a few weeks ago. <BR>Raspberries we get all year. <BR> <BR>The middle of September we'll be picking the first of the green olives (for eating) and the end of November, we'll be out beginning to pick the olives for olive oil. <BR> <BR>PB

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 12:01 AM
sylvia

The English strawberries are pretty well over. I still have red and white currants in my garden and there are rapberries available at a nearby farm. The gooseberries are just about ready. The only disadvantage with picking them is that they have thorns. <BR>You have to wait until the Autumn for the best apples in the world Cox's Orange Pippens and Russets. Russets don't look pretty but the taste is fantastic. Blackberries are also an autumn thing.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:14 AM
JOdy

Sylvia, <BR> <BR>You are so right about your english apples. That is the one food I always want to bring home but don't dare, because of the fruit sniffing dogs at our airports. I just have to eat my fill when in UK. We have none to compare with them here in US where all are apples are almost tsteless to me. We need some of the old fashioned , homely looking varieties but get only the great looking on the outside , no flavor on the inside waxed and stored kind here.Our red delicious variety is anything but

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Alfred

Well, the guy in the cubicle next to me is a real FRUIT and I do think he is getting pretty ripe and ready for a good plucking if he can find the right "picker"!!!!!!