Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What exactly is: DOUBLE ROOM / EXTRA BED?

Apr 12th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Ruth

Could someone spell this out for me? If I want a room that has 2 separate beds for my friend and myself, what do I specify while making a reservation? Double with extra bed or a double with 2 twin beds?

Forgive my ignorance please!

Apr 12th, 2002, 10:21 AM
elaine

Ruth
Don't call the room a double. Call it a room for two people. If you want two beds, you need to say "two beds", it's as simple as that. Most hotels will call that a "twin" room.
In Europe they are unlikely to be two full-sized beds unless you are staying in a luxury or business-oriented hotel.
In most small hotels these will be two twin-sized beds. In some cases you might get one larger bed and one smaller, but that's usually a room for three (parents plus child, for example.)
Hope this helps.

Apr 12th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Marj

I've seen it described as a twin bedded double room. When you book, just make sure they understand the bedding arrangement. A 'double' could mean either 1 queen or 2 twin so you have to be specific in asking for 2 twin beds when you reserve.

Apr 12th, 2002, 12:08 PM
xxxx

I think it's funny that you knew exactly how to tell us what you want, "if I want a room that has 2 separate beds. . ." So what's the problem? You tell the hotel you "want a room that has 2 separate beds". Are we supposed to be dumber or smarter than the average hotel? Forget about specialized terminology. Just tell them what you want!!! What could be easier than that?

Apr 12th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Marilyn

In Italy it is due letti (two beds) as the double bed is letto matrimoniale (or some such). Marilyn