Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What does "to the top" or "topping" mean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:30 AM
Murray Brown

Please excuse my ignorance. I find numerous meassages using the phrases "to the top" or "topping". What in the world does this mean?<BR>Murray.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:00 AM
Keith Legg

When someone replies to a message, it goes to the top of the tree (thus getting more responses.) If there's no reply for a while, it drops down, so it needs to be "topped" to get some responses.<BR><BR>Also some people like to bring threads back up again - eg for the info of others, or just to restart a discussion.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:09 AM
ttt also known as to the top

to the top<BR><BR>At this moment, this question is at position number 22, in the left-hand column. One minute from now, it will be at number one. See how this works? By the time you read it, no way to know at what position it will be.<BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:06 AM
anti-topper

Topper comes in two types.<BR><BR>1- people who have nothing else better to do than cause trouble.<BR><BR>2- people who are disappointed that their important post sank, and want to bring it to the attention of everyone again to give them another chance.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:11 AM
topper

t t t

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:16 AM
Leslie

Sometimes a poster will create a thread with a question that has been answered time and time again, or for that matter ask a question that was answered very clearly along time ago. Instead of retyping all of that information, another poster, who may know the key words to search for either thread, will then top it (ttt) for the person that requested information. I think most people top threads to be helpful to others.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:53 PM
Rex

While I generally agree with Leslie on this point - - topping is usually for helpful intentions - - the best way to help someone find an old thread is to cite its URL like this:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=2&tid=1350059 <BR><BR>you can get this by right-clicking (then "copy shortcut") on the thread "header" in the left-hand column. <BR><BR>The URL listed above is for THIS thread.<BR><BR>Best wishes, <BR><BR>Rex <BR>