what do you make of the English

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to France and Ireland, but I'm making my first trip to England soon, and frankly I don't know what to make of these people.

On one hand, they seem fun loving and self-deprecating.

On the other, they hand over hundreds of millions to a few people who call themselves "king" and "queen" and fawn over these weirdo inbreds.

I don't know what to think.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM

What do you care..it's not your money...and it probably brings in that much money in tourism from royality fans from all over.

And it is not 100's of millions
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:29 PM

I think you're a troll.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:37 PM

I think Brits are great - and I also think you're a troll.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:45 PM
AllyPally

Nothing to think. Just come over, have a beer (and if you're dropping by London, make sure you visit some gastro pubs off the beaten track) and soak up the atmosphere. The weather in London was great today!!

I'm part American/Canadian/Welsh and grew up in Quebec - hey! I don't know what to make of myself!!

As for the Queen, the system is so much bigger than us. I need another glass of rosé to toast Prince William!!

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:46 PM

Why don't you take that trip to London and when you get back you can post what You Made of the English.

I love em!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:50 PM

Yes, we are an odd bunch indeed, having a highly cultivated sense of bad taste, dry humour, and alcoholism. Plus, we all have moth holes in our wooly jumpers.

But, we all know that Englishmen have the largest members of Parliament. (We are also very euphamistic.)

Sod off, you buggery geezer, Jacko.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:51 PM

WARNING:THIS IS A GENERALIZATION AND NOT MEANT TO REPRESENT ALL BRITS I KNOW AND HAVE MET.

One of the British attitudes that I find interesting is the air of superiority. WHy it developed is understandable given their Colonial Empire. Brits look down at Americans (even when one is their boss) and still consider the USA in many ways to be backward and intellectually inferior.

However, many of those same Brits feel inferior to members of their own society because of the strict social stratification that one existed and still does in many ways.

BTW, before you call me some half-cocked American, I've had this conversation with Ex-Pats in New York, many of whom concur. I also had a friend who was Indian, moved to London to run a group of 150 people, many of whom resented working for an American, especially one who was Indian - despite the fact that it was an American company.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:09 PM
lyb

Jacko,

Wow, would that be WACKO jacko?!?! If you think they are such weirdo inbreds, why are you going there? Please do me a favor and don't tell them you're American, because you are embarrassing and very disrespecful. Might you be "inbred"?
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:13 PM

Please note, the English or better "Brits" will welcome you..depending on your behavior. Most Brits are busy with their own lives. Tourists are intruders, but Brits tolerate them. Spend some time observing other tourists behavior. I expect that you wouldn't let them near your doorstep. What do the monkeys in the zoo make of the Sunday visitors?
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:31 PM
dln

My wife, dln, being married to an ex-Englishman, thought that I ought to reply to this one.

My initial reaction was that anyone who has been to France, our mortal enemy for hundreds of years, and Ireland, whose natives keep us amused all the time by being the subject of jokes (heard the one about the Englishman, the Irishman and the Scotsman who walked into a pub .....) must clearly be of inferior intellect. Anyone of sound mind knows that you start your discovery of the world at the top: the leaders of the British Empire, the kind souls who converted the Celts to civilization (although they did fight back a bit), the people who invented taxation without representation, people who gave the world Monty Python and Benny Hill (and reality TV if you didn't know that) -- the ENGLISH!

p.s. be careful when you go to England. When immigration sees those French and Irish stamps in your passport, they may not want to let you in.

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies -- except the moronic dln, whose idiotic post I won't address.

What I was saying -- and posters replied to -- was the schizo aspect of the British. What I mean is they old fart who gets dressed for tea then sits there and says "Fuck all!" what's with that? I mean on the one hand to be all focused on history and tradition and on the other to be so out of touch he supports such things as "kings" and "queens"!?!? I mean honestly, what good can you say about people who believe in kings and queens?

It's like living in a land of 4 yr olds.

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:55 PM
dln

That wasn't me, that was my husband. Can't you read, man? That was clearly stated.

He's laughing his head off now in that self-deprecating way of his. Or is it his British superiority laugh?

In any event, Jacko, last laugh's on you.

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:01 PM

I the English!! They are the most eloquent speakers and are so refined (except Cockneys and Essex girls - sorry) but I like them too . As for imbreds, if there weren't any then Walmart would not be America's biggest retailer. Imbreds are also responsible for founding the company that invented nylon, Lycra, Teflon, Kevlar, cancer and sponsoring Nascar favorite Jeff Gordon. All miracles courtesy of the imbred DuPont family
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
well, the Brits can keep a stiff upper lip which is more than we can say about some of our misdirected congressmen.
French fries, anyone?
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:12 PM

<<I mean on the one hand to be all focused on history and tradition and on the other to be so out of touch he supports such things as "kings" and "queens"!?!? >>

And just what, pray tell, do you think the history and tradition of England are all about?

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:18 PM

Jacko, I bet the English would like you. They like twits!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:42 PM
jor

So how are we Americans different. We also hand over hundreds of millions to a few people who are weirdo inbreds. Guess who they are.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:16 PM

IMO the British have much better manners than Americans. It is so nice to actually hear someone say "sorry" when they bump into you by accident. I almost fell over when another young lady greeted me with a nice cheery "Hello" in the ladies washroom at a movie theatre. I find the English to be much more polite than Americans and for that I am grateful.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 11:03 PM

Ally - your reference to "I'm part American/Canadian/Welsh" is so refreshing!!! I've never heard anyone refer to themself as "part American." Keep it up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -